Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Day Trip to Morocco

Wikiposts

Day Trip to Morocco

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day Trip to Morocco

Originally Posted by fionamw
Only one other subsidiary question, how easy/feasible/sensible would it be to take the car over? & once t'other side, how easy/feasible etc to park safely & do anything, or is it not worth the hassle?

Have you ever seen the way Morrocans drive
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 5:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I had small children almost wrapping themselves around my legs trying to get me to buy things off them. I had a male belly dancer trying to have his evil way with me (I was a lot younger with long blond hair), It was ......... an experience

I really get worked up by the kids, it really upsets me. We were sitting in a cafe in Tijuana once and a little kid came up to me begging. The cafe owner ran out and slapped him across the head and threw him out
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CLR
Hi

if you do this trip either by car or foot, will you please come back and let me know how you got on.

Cheers
Personally i would never drive out there,very intimidating for me. My hubby was working there and oh my, although he drove the car.Thats all they do is continuous sound of tooting horns. Just a personal opinion of course perhaps others dont find it so bad.

Last edited by DENISE WALTERS; Aug 23rd 2009 at 7:40 am. Reason: dyslexic
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
Personally i would never drive out there,very intimidating for me. My hubby was working there and oh my, although he drove the car.Thats all they do is continuous sound of tooting horns. Just a personal opinion of course perhaps others dont find it so bad.
Arc de Triomphe, Marble Arch, Buenos Aires, and yes I've been to Morocco twice.... it's not the driving but the parking & finding the car & its contents there when I get back that slightly concerns me...! mind you, if you can have a car keyed in Plaza Mayor car park Malaga, ......
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

Originally Posted by paintermujer
A long time ago now but in tangiers my dad was asked if hed like to swap my mum for some camels.
..............in tunisia i got offered 6 camels for my missus, mind you she has got all her own teeth.............and they'd be sorry because she would nag them to death
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Truly HORRIBLE place to visit.
I went last year and never again, even though I live so close. It was boring, not least because you couldn't really look at anything without 30 men pouncing on you with rugs under their arms.
One guy followed me without joke, for about an hour with this rug under his arm. He started @ 90 euros, and at the end of the hour, it was down to 5 euros, yet still he wouldn't get the hint.
Amazing really, and I was not exactly shy with my opinion on his rug, so god knows why he persisted.

If you want to experience Morroco, stay the hell away from Tangier as ANY one who has been will tell you, the real Morocco is inland, and is very very different.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ballin
Amazing really, and I was not exactly shy with my opinion on his rug, so god knows why he persisted.
Starvation?
Old Aug 24th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Also I hated going out, when we did I went out with a morrocan interpreter. I was often heckled by the women folk
scary
I assume it was because they disapprove of the wayward british culture.????
Although I did try to dress modestly it was sooo very hot.Not to cause offence.
In saying this I made some great friends with some girls when I was out there and we kept in touch for a few years but as soon as they got married they stopped correspondence
Maybe another coincidence ?????
I will never know.
If they are out there girls get in touch miss your friendship.
Not a country for me, but I know others love it and stay there regular.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Starvation?
I doubt it, the guy had enough energy to run around after me for an hour.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at the Rif Hotel for a week's holiday. The large room had a large balcony overlooking the main beach, about a mile wide and five miles long, with kids playing 50-aside football and a sand covered train travelling down the middle of it.

I dressed down and carefully followed all the advice given, and managed to see the Medina, Casbah, the museums, the Cafe de Paris, and that funny port with the duty=free shops on the outside, but the constant begging got me down.

There was a decent night club/ disco at the next hotel along, about a hundred yards away, but to get there was a nightmare, with more and more desperate people trying to sell everything imaginable, and once at the night club the overpowering smell of Marijuana was just too much.

I've seen European women in genuine distress on the streets, when confronted with poverty stricken Moroccan men, whose culture does not let them respect women, but they are starving and desperate.

It was not for me.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

Jaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really niceJaques2go is just really nice

some of these cultures do not respect women who are unaccompanied by men as they think they are prostitutes - when i was in egypt, there were a couple of girls on holiday, sharing a room and the male cleaner (there arent female cleaners) kept bursting in their room taking photos of them in bed, even though they were in single beds - they dont understand the concept of female friends...........when the girls complained to the management, they were told "what do you expect, you are women without men"
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
some of these cultures do not respect women who are unaccompanied by men as they think they are prostitutes - when i was in egypt, there were a couple of girls on holiday, sharing a room and the male cleaner (there arent female cleaners) kept bursting in their room taking photos of them in bed, even though they were in single beds - they dont understand the concept of female friends...........when the girls complained to the management, they were told "what do you expect, you are women without men"
This is one of the many reasons there will be BIG BIG problems in europe as islam gets stronger and stronger.
Thank your PC politicians.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

George & Rosalia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi CLR

My Friend and I went to Tangiers via Tarifa and the fast ferry to Tangiers recently. We were only passing through as we wanted to get to M'diq abour 80 km away.. The ferry was fine - no complaints. We were told that we could hire a car in the port no problem whatsoever.

When we got to the port terminal we were told the car hire offices were just outside the terminal building. When we got there we were told they were just around the corner. About 20 corners later we were at the entrance gates to the port! We asked the police and were assured they were just outside the general port area. While everyone seemed friendly they efffectively only wanted to move us on. Lots of police and military with serious looking weapons.

Once outside the pert we were besiged with beggars and people looking to act as tour guides, all looking like they had been released from prison! We resisted, stopping at any shop that remotely looked touristy - holiday stores, tour companies, etc. Same strory, a sar hire company was always up a few streets on the left, across the road 50 meters on the right and all baloney! Eventually we caved in and employed the least shifty looking guy who spoke good English. Cutting a very long story short he broughy us eventually to a Moroccan car hire company.

They wanted to keep our passports (they would give us photocopies) and wanted to charge the equivalent of €65 a day for a well used car (accoring to the picture). After much argument, walk outs, etc., we settled on €35 a day, kept our passports and the guide would accompany us part of the way to put us on the right road and show us where to fill up with gas! It was getting late!!!. Once all was settled and agreed we were the best of fiends, did we want tea?, advice on where to go, etc. The car looked nothing like the photo but at that stage we did not care.

The guide did take us to the right road after filling up and after hearing of all of his troubles, etc. we doubled the agreed fee. The full tour guide fee cost €8!!!!!(plus whaetever he got from the car hire company of course) By the way he told us that his English was soo good because he ran a coffee bar in London but unknown to him his wife had been selling drugs and outrageously he had been arrested, jailed for two years and been deported.

Tangiers looked like a city that could have been beautiful but had gone to seed decades before. The lessons we learned (besides advance car hire) were to take advice with a very large pinch of salt, hire a tour guide ASAP, try to agree everything in advance and always haggle over everything (they seem to expect and enjoy it). Be prepared to be besiged, especially if you look touristy. My experience would not put me off visiting again as you definitely come away with memorable experiences but it does not have the (over?) developed/sophisticated service industry of a Spain or Portugal. It's definitely worth a visit, bring a friend.

A bit long but I hope it gives a flavour,
George.
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:02 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by George & Rosalia
Hi CLR

My Friend and I went to Tangiers via Tarifa and the fast ferry to Tangiers recently. We were only passing through as we wanted to get to M'diq abour 80 km away.. The ferry was fine - no complaints. We were told that we could hire a car in the port no problem whatsoever.

When we got to the port terminal we were told the car hire offices were just outside the terminal building. When we got there we were told they were just around the corner. About 20 corners later we were at the entrance gates to the port! We asked the police and were assured they were just outside the general port area. While everyone seemed friendly they efffectively only wanted to move us on. Lots of police and military with serious looking weapons.

Once outside the pert we were besiged with beggars and people looking to act as tour guides, all looking like they had been released from prison! We resisted, stopping at any shop that remotely looked touristy - holiday stores, tour companies, etc. Same strory, a sar hire company was always up a few streets on the left, across the road 50 meters on the right and all baloney! Eventually we caved in and employed the least shifty looking guy who spoke good English. Cutting a very long story short he broughy us eventually to a Moroccan car hire company.

They wanted to keep our passports (they would give us photocopies) and wanted to charge the equivalent of €65 a day for a well used car (accoring to the picture). After much argument, walk outs, etc., we settled on €35 a day, kept our passports and the guide would accompany us part of the way to put us on the right road and show us where to fill up with gas! It was getting late!!!. Once all was settled and agreed we were the best of fiends, did we want tea?, advice on where to go, etc. The car looked nothing like the photo but at that stage we did not care.

The guide did take us to the right road after filling up and after hearing of all of his troubles, etc. we doubled the agreed fee. The full tour guide fee cost €8!!!!!(plus whaetever he got from the car hire company of course) By the way he told us that his English was soo good because he ran a coffee bar in London but unknown to him his wife had been selling drugs and outrageously he had been arrested, jailed for two years and been deported.

Tangiers looked like a city that could have been beautiful but had gone to seed decades before. The lessons we learned (besides advance car hire) were to take advice with a very large pinch of salt, hire a tour guide ASAP, try to agree everything in advance and always haggle over everything (they seem to expect and enjoy it). Be prepared to be besiged, especially if you look touristy. My experience would not put me off visiting again as you definitely come away with memorable experiences but it does not have the (over?) developed/sophisticated service industry of a Spain or Portugal. It's definitely worth a visit, bring a friend.

A bit long but I hope it gives a flavour,
George.
Hi George,

thanks for this - it is many decades since I was last there. The picture you paint is one I remember very well - I was, perhaps hoping for some changes. I remember then only leaving the hotel once and being continual pestered by salesmen (key phrases at that time were " real Woolworths bargain" and "Georgie Best", and bartering for sex!! (Might be grateful now) and I am sure OH would appreciate a camel for the dung for the garden). The hotel did not help has it was full of 18:30's club members! (now I seem to end up with the Saga ones..)

Will def. think this one through and if we go, will report back with experiences you have given me a good insight - many thanks for sharing this.

regards
Old Aug 26th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
This is one of the many reasons there will be BIG BIG problems in europe as islam gets stronger and stronger.
Thank your PC politicians.
.......I feel that it isnt Islam thats the problem, its rather like Christianity isnt - its some peoples interpreting their religion to control people that causes problems......................Neither Mohamed nor Christ set the rules that have been the source of control, murder, torture etc..........not just now but over the centuries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.