Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

D I Y advice required.

D I Y advice required.

Old Aug 25th 2010, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough
Default D I Y advice required.

We want to revamp our old bathroom.

The original tiles have been painted over many years ago with a tile paint, which we want to scrape/clean off and then re-tile over.

Questions are: What is the best tile cleaner to remove any old paint? What is the best tile adhesive to use for re-tiling and do we have to de-glaze as much as possible the old tiling?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: D I Y advice required.

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
We want to revamp our old bathroom.

The original tiles have been painted over many years ago with a tile paint, which we want to scrape/clean off and then re-tile over.

Questions are: What is the best tile cleaner to remove any old paint? What is the best tile adhesive to use for re-tiling and do we have to de-glaze as much as possible the old tiling?
Nitromorse will get it off but I think its better to knock all the old tiles ,tiling on top of old tiles is a bodge.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth, Dorset, UK....Now in Sabariego, Nr Alcala la Real, Jaén
ricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the roughricardoylucia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rotor
Nitromorse will get it off but I think its better to knock all the old tiles ,tiling on top of old tiles is a bodge.
We did think of knocking the old tiles off, but 2 walls are built with narrow bricks and the last thing we need is to rebuild new walls.

Secondly - we asked 4 builders (UK/Spanish) to quote to revamp the bathroom. They all said that removing the old tiles can be done, but because of the age of the walls and if there is any dampness in the walls, what was used to cement the original tiles to the wall and the time to remove the tiles would make the job very expensive. Having had the quotes for both ways - removing the tiles is very expensive.

One of the builders, who we know very well and is qualified/certified by UK and Spanish authorities (we have have seen the Spanish licenses in the town hall) said although 2 walls would be OK to knock of the tiles, then smooth down enough to plaster and re-tile; with the other 2 walls, one could end up having to rebuild.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rotor
We have retiled over old and had no problems at all!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by reggiedh
We have retiled over old and had no problems at all!
Can I ask what did you use as an adhesive to adhere the new tiles onto the old tiles?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 11:51 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Cola Blanco to fix the tiles, ask for the pool tile grade (much stronger)
Wash/clean down with Ammonia solution first & wear a mask/ventilate the area well, can be bought in most places for a euro or so.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for the information - now to visit Brico Depot and obtain everything.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ricardoylucia
Thank you all for the information - now to visit Brico Depot and obtain everything.
If you are going to Brico Depot in Granada hang on to your trolley. There are a gang of kids operating there who pinch your trolley to get the Euro you put in.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by St. John
If you are going to Brico Depot in Granada hang on to your trolley. There are a gang of kids operating there who pinch your trolley to get the Euro you put in.
There are problems anywhere, but we have been there so many times, we have a drill, which works quite well. When it is sand, cement etc, we always take the car in, load up and pay on the way out. But as in many places, we find if you visit at certain times of the day and week - there should not be a problem.

Brico Depot area including Kineopolis to the rear are OK, providing you are not there on a Saturday.