British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Cycling / western Andalucia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cycling-western-andalucia-928836/)

jeweller22 Oct 26th 2019 6:16 pm

Cycling / western Andalucia?

Brand new to the site! I'm 60 y/o (male) and looking to spend some of my declining years in a warm climate. I love cycling and consequently have wondered about trying that cheese slice-shaped area of Spain that radiates WSW from Cordoba down through Sevilla to the coast - it looks flattish on a topographical map (I live in Yorkshire and have had enough of just hills!). Unlike many I'm under no illusions about making dozens of new Spanish friends; nor do I expect my Spanish language skills (I will try) to extend far beyond the practical - therefore I'm quite happy to (would even much prefer) a goodly proportion of English speakers around me. I'd be looking to have a long rental initially at least. Any thoughts at all greatly appreciated.

Loafing Along Oct 26th 2019 6:39 pm

Re: Cycling / western Andalucia?

Originally Posted by jeweller22 (Post 12754369)
Brand new to the site! I'm 60 y/o (male) and looking to spend some of my declining years in a warm climate. I love cycling and consequently have wondered about trying that cheese slice-shaped area of Spain that radiates WSW from Cordoba down through Sevilla to the coast - it looks flattish on a topographical map (I live in Yorkshire and have had enough of just hills!). Unlike many I'm under no illusions about making dozens of new Spanish friends; nor do I expect my Spanish language skills (I will try) to extend far beyond the practical - therefore I'm quite happy to (would even much prefer) a goodly proportion of English speakers around me. I'd be looking to have a long rental initially at least. Any thoughts at all greatly appreciated.

Base yourself in Huelva or similar and head to places along the coast on into the DoƱana Nature Reserve. Chose the right time of year and the bird population is incredible.
Carry on to Jerez and Cadiz. Not necessarily teeming with Brits but some around, also in the other direction towards Ayamonte, places like Isla Cristina definite tourist destination.
Plenty of rental sites to look at with long term options.
PS Wikipedia gives Huelva's altitude as 54 mtr ( 117 ft )

Dxf Oct 26th 2019 7:42 pm

Hola

You could try this lovely bunch of Ex-Pats Pago Pedal Pushers - Index

Davexf

jeweller22 Oct 26th 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks, that's useful - esp. as my g/f is an enthusiastic bird-watcher.

jeweller22 Oct 26th 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks so much - that's exactly the sort of info I'm hoping to find on this site. I'll definitely be contacting them prior to visiting the area.

cermignano Oct 27th 2019 10:31 pm

Gave a look at the Andalucian part of the Via Verde trails. These are ex railway tracks converted to cycle/walking trails throughput the country. They have good maps etc.

teuchterpete Oct 31st 2019 10:25 pm

Via verdes are a brilliant way to get around, and the old stations are often converted into bars/restaurants. They are the old olive oil train routes.You can cycle from Puente Genil all the way to the outskirts of Jaen, with lots of " watering holes " along the way and lovely towns that you can stop in overnight. Just make sure you have head cover as some routes are pretty open and the sun can be quite strong even in winter. Donana ( sorry cant find the enya on my keyboard) is the largest natural park without surfaced roads in Europe. All the tracks are sandy, and it surrounds the Guadalquivir river so plenty of bird life I would expect, and dont forget the lynx!
Pete