Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cycling / western Andalucia?

Cycling / western Andalucia?

Old Oct 26th 2019, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

jeweller22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cycling / western Andalucia?

Brand new to the site! I'm 60 y/o (male) and looking to spend some of my declining years in a warm climate. I love cycling and consequently have wondered about trying that cheese slice-shaped area of Spain that radiates WSW from Cordoba down through Sevilla to the coast - it looks flattish on a topographical map (I live in Yorkshire and have had enough of just hills!). Unlike many I'm under no illusions about making dozens of new Spanish friends; nor do I expect my Spanish language skills (I will try) to extend far beyond the practical - therefore I'm quite happy to (would even much prefer) a goodly proportion of English speakers around me. I'd be looking to have a long rental initially at least. Any thoughts at all greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Cycling / western Andalucia?

Originally Posted by jeweller22
Brand new to the site! I'm 60 y/o (male) and looking to spend some of my declining years in a warm climate. I love cycling and consequently have wondered about trying that cheese slice-shaped area of Spain that radiates WSW from Cordoba down through Sevilla to the coast - it looks flattish on a topographical map (I live in Yorkshire and have had enough of just hills!). Unlike many I'm under no illusions about making dozens of new Spanish friends; nor do I expect my Spanish language skills (I will try) to extend far beyond the practical - therefore I'm quite happy to (would even much prefer) a goodly proportion of English speakers around me. I'd be looking to have a long rental initially at least. Any thoughts at all greatly appreciated.
Base yourself in Huelva or similar and head to places along the coast on into the DoƱana Nature Reserve. Chose the right time of year and the bird population is incredible.
Carry on to Jerez and Cadiz. Not necessarily teeming with Brits but some around, also in the other direction towards Ayamonte, places like Isla Cristina definite tourist destination.
Plenty of rental sites to look at with long term options.
PS Wikipedia gives Huelva's altitude as 54 mtr ( 117 ft )
Old Oct 26th 2019, 7:42 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cycling / western Andalucia?

Hola

You could try this lovely bunch of Ex-Pats Pago Pedal Pushers - Index

Davexf
Old Oct 26th 2019, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, that's useful - esp. as my g/f is an enthusiastic bird-watcher.

Last edited by jeweller22; Oct 26th 2019 at 7:56 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much - that's exactly the sort of info I'm hoping to find on this site. I'll definitely be contacting them prior to visiting the area.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Gave a look at the Andalucian part of the Via Verde trails. These are ex railway tracks converted to cycle/walking trails throughput the country. They have good maps etc.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Via verdes are a brilliant way to get around, and the old stations are often converted into bars/restaurants. They are the old olive oil train routes.You can cycle from Puente Genil all the way to the outskirts of Jaen, with lots of " watering holes " along the way and lovely towns that you can stop in overnight. Just make sure you have head cover as some routes are pretty open and the sun can be quite strong even in winter. Donana ( sorry cant find the enya on my keyboard) is the largest natural park without surfaced roads in Europe. All the tracks are sandy, and it surrounds the Guadalquivir river so plenty of bird life I would expect, and dont forget the lynx!
Pete