Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Current Wine Bargains!

Current Wine Bargains!

Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Current Wine Bargains!

This should be a sticky thread really. Couldn't be arsed searching for any old ones.

Not sure if Carrefore price regionally (don't think so). Currently on the red wine shelf is a very excellent La Mancha 2005 Cosecha Crianza at just €1.69 a go. Dominio De La Fuente. Bolder and better than it's branded Estola counter part and half the price.

Very nice and very strong

Any more nominations?
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:25 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Wine Bargains!

Oh dear Lord!

And I saw a Vintage Aston Martin the other day on sale for just €1000. Nothing AT ALL fishy about that.

Why do Brits not get the fact that good wine costs????? My Old Man does the same. He is chuffed to bits if he finds a wine cheap - and brags about the fact. He thinks that currently Lidl and Aldi are the best wine merchants in the world - simply because he never has to pay more than €1.50. When he comes to Spain, the locals round here can never understand his wine habit. No matter how much we all try to introduce him to decent wine (and not expensive either) he can't get it!!!

You carry on LP thinking that your Crianza is great for that price - I assure you, a Crianza at that price is probably worth exactly every cent you paid for it.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:35 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Oh dear Lord!

And I saw a Vintage Aston Martin the other day on sale for just €1000. Nothing AT ALL fishy about that.

Why do Brits not get the fact that good wine costs????? My Old Man does the same. He is chuffed to bits if he finds a wine cheap - and brags about the fact. He thinks that currently Lidl and Aldi are the best wine merchants in the world - simply because he never has to pay more than €1.50. When he comes to Spain, the locals round here can never understand his wine habit. No matter how much we all try to introduce him to decent wine (and not expensive either) he can't get it!!!

You carry on LP thinking that your Crianza is great for that price - I assure you, a Crianza at that price is probably worth exactly every cent you paid for it.

I remember Oz Clarke saying on the box one evening that a good wine is "if you like it, don't matter what it costs. If Lambrusco rocks your socks then it's a good wine," I personally quite like Lambrusco and I also like Faustino de Autor Reserva.

Thanks for the tip TLP I'll have a little shifty along the wine rack when I'm next out shopping.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:39 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

:curse:bloody wine snobbery,does my head in!!!!...my local sells me a bucket of red for 60 cents,and it's the bizz!!!!!....ffs!!! I buy cartons of 20 litres for 18 euros,and it's FAB!!!!!....give it to a wine freak,they would think it cost a fortune
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Cleri
:curse:bloody wine snobbery,does my head in!!!!...my local sells me a bucket of red for 60 cents,and it's the bizz!!!!!....ffs!!! I buy cartons of 20 litres for 18 euros,and it's FAB!!!!!....give it to a wine freak,they would think it cost a fortune
A gal after my own heart, trouble is the box stuff gives me a craking head in the morning
Old Mar 26th 2009, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by crispy
A gal after my own heart, trouble is the box stuff gives me a craking head in the morning
...that's 'cos you dont know when to stop ....I hear ya!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:02 pm

...that's 'cos you dont know when to stop ....I hear ya!
I'm enjoying a nice little vino tinto at the moment, Liria 2007 off the shelves of murkydonna region.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:05 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am with Forteleza here, all these cheap wines are full of additives.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo
You can buy a good organic wine for a resonable price, having said that I have only ever seen one organic wine here in Spain.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:23 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
What even the bricks in Aldi ? (55 cents a litre )
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I'd give you karma for that post Cleri but I have to spread it around a bit first
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:36 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Go on about snobbery all you like the bottom line is this.

You are in love with the price not the wine. If money was not an issue for you and you could drink gallons of the most expensive wine (without necessarily knowing the price and going on taste alone) you would.

Christ, I can go to Lidl and get a 10 cent can of beer and convince myself it is wonderful because it is so cheap. The reality is it is substandard - end of.

To do the same with wine is almos sacrilige.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lionda
I'd give you karma for that post Cleri but I have to spread it around a bit first
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Go on about snobbery all you like the bottom line is this.

You are in love with the price not the wine. If money was not an issue for you and you could drink gallons of the most expensive wine (without necessarily knowing the price and going on taste alone) you would.

Christ, I can go to Lidl and get a 10 cent can of beer and convince myself it is wonderful because it is so cheap. The reality is it is substandard - end of.

To do the same with wine is almos sacrilige.
Rubbish!!! I live in the middle of the wine route of Portugal....when it is exported it costs a fortune in Uk...I can buy it here for cents.
I have drunk wine in Italy at 100 quid a bottle ( in my former life)....it really wasn't much better!
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:43 pm

Using Portuguese wine as a yardstick doesn't exactly fill me with confidence!!!!

Plus Valdepeñas wines - normally used as a cheap table wine for menu del día because of its poor quality - sell for loads in the UK. I always laugh when I hear Brits tell me of this great Valdepeñas wine, when I know it is just awful - cheap but awful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.