Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Current wind conditions

Current wind conditions

Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Marciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really nice
Default Current wind conditions

Hi Folks....Griff back on board again.

No.....we haven't sold in France yet. But are still intent on moving to Ayamonte area, hopefully before winter arrives here.

My wife has heard that it is very windy on the Costa de la Luz. Is this right?

I also have concerns about swimming (two young children in tow) off local beaches. Are the currents strong there?

Apologies for the 'sad' thread title! I hope nobody thought I was making enquiries relating to dried fruit and flatulence.

Cheers,
Griff
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:10 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current wind conditions

Originally Posted by Marciac man

No.....we haven't sold in France yet. But are still intent on moving to Ayamonte area, hopefully before winter arrives here.

I also have concerns about swimming (two young children in tow) off local beaches. Are the currents strong there?

Apologies for the 'sad' thread title! I hope nobody thought I was making enquiries relating to dried fruit and flatulence.

Cheers,
Griff
Yes.I'm well disappointed
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Marciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really niceMarciac man is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Yes.I'm well disappointed
It was a li'l thoughtless, I admit. But a title of 'the after effects of chick-pea curry' may have caused my thread to be hijacked with many other culinary suggestions on how to upset one's partner in bed.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 2:41 pm
Luz Living

Michaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant futureMichaelh has a brilliant future

For accurate wind predictions I use the site below,
http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=1151
Hope that helps you, it has Isla Canela and Isla Cristina
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,
Griff
Hi Griff,
The Atlantic coast does tend to have larger waves than the Med. and there are tides, which the Med doesn't have. So the lack of tides means that the currents aren't as strong as the Atlantic coast.

John.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Saxy
Hi Griff,
The Atlantic coast does tend to have larger waves than the Med. and there are tides, which the Med doesn't have. So the lack of tides means that the currents aren't as strong as the Atlantic coast.

John.
Thanks Michael & Saxy.....
.....but my wife wanted to know if the wind is going to blow her hat off most days, having been informed that it is generally much windier west of Gibraltar.

My concern about the currents remains, having recently experienced the Atlantic beaches in SW France.

Griff
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:26 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

It can get windy out here but it´s by no means like in Tarifa (Kitesurfers paradise + highest suicide rate in Europe). Also the difference in wind and temperature between the beaches & Ayamonte (10-6km) is quite big I think, often a 5 degree difference. Windiest months are July & August.

I find the beaches of Isla Canela & Punta del Moral very safe especially because they´re gently sloped and we haven´t experienced strong currents. That said, you should always be careful and keep an eye on your kids.

Last edited by Jur; Sep 12th 2011 at 5:40 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

We went on holiday to Chiclana about 4 years ago in July and it was very windy most of the time.It made us feel cold when we went in the pool and often the beach was really a no go area because of the blowing sand.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Griff
We take our child visitors 2-7 yrs to Monte Gordo beach which has a reputation as being the warmest sea water on the Algarve. About the same distance from Costa Esuri as Isla Canela beach. As always you must exercise caution and I always make a point of being in the water with the children not on top of them except for the youngest but close at hand. I was swimming in the sea at Monte Gordo early last December when the pool was cold so it stay warmer longer. Another beach we like is at the far end of Isla Cristina.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Griff
If you look at a map of the Costa De La Luz coastline you will see that it curves round from a SE/NW direction near Tarifa to a generally E-W direction by the time you get to the Algarve at Ayamonte. This means that the Huelva area is much more sheltered than the Tarifa area. Yes there is more wind than the Med but that can be a godsend during the summer months when it provides a cooling breeze. We've rarely found the wind a problem in the summer. However, the winters can be a lot wetter than other parts of Spain - although not nearly as wet as a typical English summer! The wind off the Atlantic is quite warm in the summer and this wind ensures that this part of Spain is comparatively green and fertile - it is the area where most of the soft fruits and oranges grow. So the climate is much more temperate and equable than other parts of Spain. Can't be beaten IMHO