Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cultural differences you notice?

Cultural differences you notice?

Old Dec 5th 2012, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural differences you notice?

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Yes I think the ads are aimed at all road users not just drivers. That includes pedestrians, motos and cyclists. If they could just teach them what an indicator is for, that would be a start.

See my earlier post about not having the ability to plan ahead ... My theory is that they lack the anticipation gene, and can only react!
The trick is not to assume anything

If you do that, and think on your feet, then driving in Spain is very easy and relaxing. You react to the cars around you, rather than what you think you should be doing
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
That is a very Andalucian trait, and even standing in the middle of the road and chatting

Used to annoy my OH as the roads were so narrow and hilly and she had only just learnt to drive

Yes the Andalucians are "different" in their ways, but they are no better or worse than anywhere else. I enjoyed the laid back attitude to most things, although I actually find the Asturians to be friendlier and more sincere
They are exactly the same here aswell... it is annoying and we have to walk in the road aswell..just have to push past them sometimes.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
They are exactly the same here aswell... it is annoying and we have to walk in the road aswell..just have to push past them sometimes.
They are probably just Andalusians who got lost because nobody remembered to program the satnav, and are looking for the nearest bar so they can sit and drink all day, before displaying their machismo and then hiding from the police.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

People always go on about the gulf between women and men and nearly always cite the fact that women are paid less... well, if they worked harder and did a better job maybe they would get paid the same!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 4:43 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Same in UK, how else could the young unmarried mothers go out clubbing all night!
and unmarried fathers!
Old Dec 5th 2012, 5:04 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

The trick is not to assume anything
..................and consider every other road user to be an eejit.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
Yes I think the ads are aimed at all road users not just drivers. That includes pedestrians, motos and cyclists. If they could just teach them what an indicator is for, that would be a start.

See my earlier post about not having the ability to plan ahead ... My theory is that they lack the anticipation gene, and can only react!
based on recent experiences with both pedal and motor cyclists, they seem mentally to be at least 100metres ahead, not taking into account anything happening actually around them, causing many near-misses by car/buses by their actions.
it seems to be aggressive competition in which they are the only ones with the rule sheet, the middle finger appears to be permanantly ready for action.

and round here we also have to put up with groups of cyclists out on personal time trials who travel in 2/3 abreast configuration causing tailbacks reminiscent of the Easter caravan exodus in the UK.

`
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
People always go on about the gulf between women and men and nearly always cite the fact that women are paid less... well, if they worked harder and did a better job maybe they would get paid the same!
Had to smile watching some young girl on the news moaning like hell because her car insurance has shot up because it's now illegal to treat females different from males when it comes to pricing. I thought equality was what they were after?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Sexism is something else I can attribute to the posters on this forum

Really, it seems that some people hate everybody but themselves.

Or do you hate yourself too?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Had to smile watching some young girl on the news moaning like hell because her car insurance has shot up because it's now illegal to treat females different from males when it comes to pricing. I thought equality was what they were after?
I do think that rule is completely mad. On that basis all insurances should be the same whatever your age or sex.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:23 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Sexism is something else I can attribute to the posters on this forum

Really, it seems that some people hate everybody but themselves.

Or do you hate yourself too?
Have you considered talking to a professional about this? Or your priest?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 9:51 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Have you considered talking to a professional about this? Or your priest?
I think he was joking that time but it's a bit difficult to tell sometimes...
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. I prefer driving in Spain to the UK. Drivers in the UK are way more aggressive and get very offended if you are not in the right lane at the right time

Drivers in Spain are more considerate and relaxed
Are you joking? Do you actually drive a car?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:21 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Are you joking? Do you actually drive a car?
I seriously question that, and a lot of other knowledge mysteriously absent in a lot of the things he's expert in.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting that CM lives in Asturias, and many things are different up there. I've only driven a couple of times up there myself, but it did seem a lot more relaxed than in say Valencia or Madrid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.