Cucas.

Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:04 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cucas.

We've had two cucas this year, which is about normal considering our defences. Tonight, I've just killed four, four females, in a way I feel quite sad about it.

It's hot and humid, perfect cuca weather. I hate them, they put me off my food. I once, years ago , found one in my kettle, having boiled it a coujple of times to make coffee.

I've just had a good spray-up.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cucas.

Originally Posted by HBG
We've had two cucas this year, which is about normal considering our defences. Tonight, I've just killed four, four females, in a way I feel quite sad about it.

It's hot and humid, perfect cuca weather. I hate them, they put me off my food. I once, years ago , found one in my kettle, having boiled it a coujple of times to make coffee.

I've just had a good spray-up.

OK, I'll bite - what's a 'cuca'?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I'm guessing it's short for cucaracha, which is a cockroach, I've had none at all here but used to get them when we used to live in an apartment in Alicante until we bought those plug in electrical thingies
...unless he means "Cucas" the Brasilian footballer in which case, mmm very strange!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:51 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
OK, I'll bite - what's a 'cuca'?
Let me google that for you

So there you have it.

A vagina, a Brazilian footballer or the Cambridge University Conservative Association.

Take you pick.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:54 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I refuse to believe that members of a Spanish expat forum don't know what a 'cuca' is. Of course we know them, they're more common than flamenco dancers or paella, more common than the Moro and Christiano parades celebrated each year to mark the end of 700 years of Moorish occupation, more common than El Papa even.

I remember sitting in a posh restaurant in Denia, just down from the castle, when one of the brown monsters sped along the polished floor heading in our direction. The waiter saw it too and tried to nonchalantly stamp on it and missed.

We had a good laugh at the time, but it spoilt our enjoyment of the excellent food delivered afterwards.

I've just checked the entire house and it seems all clear, but I thought I saw movement behind the washing machine in the kitchen. It's Spain, ain't it?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I refuse to believe that members of a Spanish expat forum don't know what a 'cuca' is. Of course we know them, they're more common than flamenco dancers or paella, more common than the Moro and Christiano parades celebrated each year to mark the end of 700 years of Moorish occupation, more common than El Papa even.

I remember sitting in a posh restaurant in Denia, just down from the castle, when one of the brown monsters sped along the polished floor heading in our direction. The waiter saw it too and tried to nonchalantly stamp on it and missed.

We had a good laugh at the time, but it spoilt our enjoyment of the excellent food delivered afterwards.

I've just checked the entire house and it seems all clear, but I thought I saw movement behind the washing machine in the kitchen. It's Spain, ain't it?
Be thankful they hadn't picked up the washing machine and were running off with it..
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Many moons nay years ago when I was on a minesweeper in the Med our ship was infested with them. We used to dip them in our rum and race them along the mess table !!

In Malta once the ship had to be fumigated to get rid of them. Many years after I left the Navy I still had my Navy issued sheet and there were rust like marks on it where the pesky things had been killed.

Needless to say even after fumigation there were still plenty left behind to breed again.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't they supposed to be the only creatures that would survive a nuclear war?

We have seen the (very) occasional one in the house, no more than half a dozen times in as many years. My OH doesn't stamp on them as he read somewhere that killing them that way actually spreads the eggs around, increasing the risk of an infestation, so he catches them on a piece of cardboard with a glass on top and takes them outside. I can't say it doesn't work as they don't seem to come back!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember reading anthing earlier, but they may well fall in the category of Birds and Crocodiles and Sharks and Whales - Prehistoric.

It is a fairly commonly known fact that as Scarab Beetles they were revered by the Phaeroes more than 4,000 years ago

all efforts to fumigate ships never seemed to work, I have seen a frigate closed down for 2 days, filled with gas and a couple of days later - cockroaches.

perhaps it is an indication it is a healthy environment

Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

We have seen the (very) occasional one in the house, no more than half a dozen times in as many years.
We have seen only one that my wife duly despatched.
Didn't I read somewhere they live under cooker hobs? Haven't checked just in case it's true!

Also less flies etc. than I expected although I am in a town so this may be a reason.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
We have seen only one that my wife duly despatched.
Didn't I read somewhere they live under cooker hobs? Haven't checked just in case it's true!

Also less flies etc. than I expected although I am in a town so this may be a reason.
I haven't got a cooker hob but a slot-in gas cooker, which gets pulled out and cleaned behind and underneath regularly, so nowhere to hide!

It's interesting you say that about less insects generally and that you are in a town, we find exactly the same as regards flies, wasps and the dreaded mossies and we are also in a town so there may well be something in that. I have been to people's houses and they have problems with flies under covered terraces (we took the chapa off our roof terrace as I didn't like it) as apparently they are more of a nuisance in still air. We are on a hill above the town and do get the benefit of breezes most of the time so that may help also.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I have only ever once seen something that looked a bit like a cucaracha in our village. (It was very fast and scuttled off behind the kitchen unit). I poisoned just in case with Cucal. Never saw another and we now live in our own place with non-fitted kitchen units. This gives me hope that we might not have the problems that seem endemic in most of Southern Spain. Maybe the winters up here are to cold for them? Strangely this year we also haven't had more than a handful of mozzies either. Is it too early? We use mozzie nets on the windows and our bed but still, I'm sure usually there are more by now. Oh. Forgot to say we do have a big problem with moths though (polillas) and the pheromone traps just seem to attract more.

Last edited by angiescarr; Jul 28th 2013 at 8:21 pm. Reason: Polillas
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:24 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Cats like to torture them to death. A lot.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:03 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Cats like to torture them to death. A lot.
probably they have memories when the ancient egyptians revered them
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
I refuse to believe that members of a Spanish expat forum don't know what a 'cuca' is.
Well I'm afraid you may have to! I've lived here for 12 years and never heard the word Cuca.
As this is an 'British' Ex pat site, why not just have said 'cockroach'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.