Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

cruelty to animals

cruelty to animals

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough
Default cruelty to animals

The English (unfortunatley) people that own the bar/restaraunt near to where I work have a large dog on the premises all day.

I very seldom see either of the guys taking the dog for a walk and often see one of them leaving the bar with a dustpan and brush to take to one of the large refuge containers near by. I can only assume that this is dog mess that he is removing.

I also only assume that the dog is kept in the kitchen area during the day as it would be the only place out of clients' view. Occaisionaly you can hear it barking during the day.

Once they lock up leave for the evening at about 6.00pm the dog is obviously distressed by being locked up as the barking goes on for a good 30-40mins until it settles down. It remains there until the following day when they re-open the bar at approx 9.00am.

Not only is this very annoying for near-by neighbours and illegal to keep a dog in the bar it is also a very cruel way to treat the animial.

If I wish to make a formal complaint I have to divulge my full name and contact details and this is not something I wish to do for fear of repercussions.

Any suggestions??
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cruelty to animals

Well apart from offering to take the dog for walks, yourself I can't suggest
much.

However, I would say that in the UK this seems to be quite normal practice.
My next-door neighbour has a dog and yes, it barks for some time whenever
they all go out daily to work and leave it alone. The previous owners of the
house had 2 dogs and the same thing happened. I occasionally saw the
previous people out walking their god (maybe once a month) but my current
neighbours never do, although the mutt occasionally wanders out into the
garden for a carp - and then goes back in.

Pete
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:41 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who wants to denounce somebody about animal (mis)treatment you can make an online denuncia to Seprona, the relevant arm of the Guardia Civil, to this address: [email protected]
Just, as always beware of potential backlashes!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:43 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
people out walking their god (maybe once a month) but my current neighbours never do, although the mutt occasionally wanders out into the garden for a carp
Is that strictly legal?!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
people out walking their god (maybe once a month) but my current neighbours never do, although the mutt occasionally wanders out into the garden for a carp
Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Is that strictly legal?!
Don't you realise, god can do anything , but calling god a mutt might be going a bit far.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 1:29 pm
Structural Surveyor

although the mutt occasionally wanders out into the
garden for a carp
...and p'raps that's only on Fridays...
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Quote:

Don't you realise, god can do anything , but calling god a mutt might be going a bit far.
(Pete looks around for thunderbolts)

Acherley it was 2 different entities. My previous neighbours used to walk
their god, the current ones don't take their dog out.

But back to the business in hand.
One thing that does occur to me, is that if sunnysenorita does denounce
her bar-owner they may respond by just kicking the dog out.
At present there is a dog that is at least fed and has shelter (even if it
is somewhat lacking in human company).
Come a denuncia, the owners - who apparently don't derive much pleasure
from the animal - may just decide that it's too much trouble and just take
it for a one-way ride in the car, and drop it off somewhere remote.
From the dog's point of view the current situation may be the least-bad
outcome.

Pete
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 4:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

At least it does get some human contact, there are many dogs living on rural properties where the owners are away in the town, they may get a visit once a day, twice a week or even less, dogs are chained up, but it isn't illegal as they are being looked after.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 9:00 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysenorita
The English (unfortunatley) people that own the bar/restaraunt near to where I work have a large dog on the premises all day.

I very seldom see either of the guys taking the dog for a walk and often see one of them leaving the bar with a dustpan and brush to take to one of the large refuge containers near by. I can only assume that this is dog mess that he is removing.

I also only assume that the dog is kept in the kitchen area during the day as it would be the only place out of clients' view. Occaisionaly you can hear it barking during the day.

Once they lock up leave for the evening at about 6.00pm the dog is obviously distressed by being locked up as the barking goes on for a good 30-40mins until it settles down. It remains there until the following day when they re-open the bar at approx 9.00am.

Not only is this very annoying for near-by neighbours and illegal to keep a dog in the bar it is also a very cruel way to treat the animial.

If I wish to make a formal complaint I have to divulge my full name and contact details and this is not something I wish to do for fear of repercussions.

Any suggestions??

Sounds like a wonderful job opportunity- dalk walking. If you can find say 10 -20 dogs/owners in similar conditions maybe you could get 20 euros each/week for giving them an hour in the local park. Plus all the money you might save from having to go to the Spa!!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:50 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by ironporer
Sounds like a wonderful job opportunity- dalk walking. If you can find say 10 -20 dogs/owners in similar conditions maybe you could get 20 euros each/week for giving them an hour in the local park. Plus all the money you might save from having to go to the Spa!!
First, find your dalk.....