Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cross border prescriptions and GP's in Spain

Cross border prescriptions and GP's in Spain

Old May 8th 2018, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Yorkshire Princess is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cross border prescriptions and GP's in Spain

I am going to need a number of prescriptions filled whilst I am in the process of looking for a house and getting residency. I know that getting cross border prescriptions is an option and I have been reading the requirements for these on the Spanish Social security website. Has anyone used these recently? I've also read that as well as the statutory requirements there are also regional variations as to what further information is required in order for them to be dispensed. I gather just taking an NHS prescription into a pharmacy is not going to work.

As a non-resident, can I register with a doctor as soon as I get to Spain and be seen as a private patient? I will have private medical insurance. What's the waiting time to see a GP in the Valencia area? Is it quick to register? If I don't get cross border prescriptions before I go I thought I could just get them from a doctor instead when I get there.

I've also thought about asking my NHS GP to give me a stock of my medications before I leave but I think they're not supposed to do that. Mind you, if they were to read the guidance on the Social Security website as to what they're supposed to do, they might prefer this last option!

Thanks.
Old May 8th 2018, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cross border prescriptions and GP's in Spain

I would have thought with private health cover then they could prescribe prescriptions that are necessary for you. Depending upon the drug and if it is necessary then surely you could use the Ehic to see a doctor for a prescription (it is for necessary treatment during a visit), that is if your UK doctor/pharmacy won't issue sufficient to tide you over, which will depend on type of drug. My doctor and pharmacy certainly do this for me up to 3 months but the tablet I take is not dangerous and can be bought without prescription in Spain anyway. I would speak to your UK doctor.
Old May 8th 2018, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I would have thought with private health cover then they could prescribe prescriptions that are necessary for you. Depending upon the drug and if it is necessary then surely you could use the Ehic to see a doctor for a prescription (it is for necessary treatment during a visit), that is if your UK doctor/pharmacy won't issue sufficient to tide you over, which will depend on type of drug. My doctor and pharmacy certainly do this for me up to 3 months but the tablet I take is not dangerous and can be bought without prescription in Spain anyway. I would speak to your UK doctor.
But even with an EHIC I'll still have to register with a doctor first won't I?
Old May 8th 2018, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I do know people that have done just that without any issues I think they initially did it for 6 months after which it was reviewed. As always it will depend on area. Speak to the ehic people direct , if you have Facebook they have a page where you can ask them such things or get a contact number to discuss a way round the problem.
Old May 8th 2018, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
I do know people that have done just that without any issues I think they initially did it for 6 months after which it was reviewed. As always it will depend on area. Speak to the ehic people direct , if you have Facebook they have a page where you can ask them such things or get a contact number to discuss a way round the problem.
You're correct. I've just found an entry on the Department of Health website (GB) saying I can go to a medical centre with my EHIC and passport and request meds if I don't have a cross-border prescription. Thanks for the post.
Old May 8th 2018, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You're welcome
Old May 10th 2018, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Presume things are the same as Portugal pretty much.
Before Daughter left UK to visit us she tried to get an extra asthma inhaler in the end cost her £18 for emergency prescription would not give her one over the counter at the Pharmacy.
Walked into Pharmacy in Portugal given one over the counter for €3.75.
In UK have to walk over coals to get levothyroxine...Portugal €2.53 for 60 over the counter 100microgram tablets no questions asked crazy
Old May 11th 2018, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tonisdad
Presume things are the same as Portugal pretty much.
Before Daughter left UK to visit us she tried to get an extra asthma inhaler in the end cost her £18 for emergency prescription would not give her one over the counter at the Pharmacy.
Walked into Pharmacy in Portugal given one over the counter for €3.75.
In UK have to walk over coals to get levothyroxine...Portugal €2.53 for 60 over the counter 100microgram tablets no questions asked crazy
In Britain now it has become an endurance test to get anything! It's a six week wait to see a GP where I live. Usually at least a four hour wait in A&E for many people. I can only get a months worth of my medications at a time and I'm on a lot of them. Local Boots chemist understaffed and often doesn't stock what you've been prescribed.
The Health Service in Spain can't be any worse than the UK.
It's quite shocking that she was refused a spare inhaler but I'm not surprised to hear that.
Old May 11th 2018, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It does seem that the NHS pay or certainly charge on prescription way over the odds for some things versus other EU countries. Of course one problem is if you receive certain benefits you get free prescriptions as you do when over 60. Some in that category then use the GP for everything including paracetamol ibuprofen and similar which cost pence over counter at most supermarkets but cost the NHS a prescription charge. The government cut back everywhere in the NHS except this abuse so we end up with ever spiraling prescription charges. The tablet I take you can't buy over counter in UK only on prescription but in Spain it costs just over 2 euros a packet over the pharmacy counter. My doctor is good enough though to ensure I have a reserve supply for my frequent lengthy visits once I explained my situation, I will add I did mention it wasn't an issue if they couldn't give me a reserve supply as cost and ease of obtaining in Spain wasn't an issue.
Old May 11th 2018, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

The government has started cracking down on people trying to get over the counter medications on prescription. The drugs companies are in the position of power in that they can dictate what they charge the NHS for drugs.
A prescription now costs over £8 here. Why are medications so much cheaper in Spain than here I wonder?
I have multiple health problems and live with chronic pain every day but cannot get free prescriptions because the disability benefit I am on does not qualify.
I don't consider people who get free prescriptions as a 'problem' myself. No-one wants to become ill!
Old May 11th 2018, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do not consider people getting free prescriptions as a problem that wasn't the point I made, however like all good systems it can be open to abuse. I myself due to age get free prescriptions, would I obtain a prescription for paracetamol or similar which I can buy for around 30p in supermarket ? No I would buy it myself. If I was in hospital and it was given as a course of treatment that is different, as it would be in extreme poverty cases. That is my point. It is also something the NHS is trying to deal with by informing patients of this.

Last edited by bobd22; May 11th 2018 at 11:24 am.
Old May 11th 2018, 11:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You will not be able to get Paracetamol on prescription very soon. The NHS are cutting out a whole load of OTC stuff.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...-next-14641623
Old May 13th 2018, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Bad Leg is an unknown quantity at this point

A 62 year old British guy I know here in Gandia, renting an apartment for six months, not registered but with an EHIC card went to the local clinic, got seen by a doctor, and has been referred to the hospital for a hernia operation! I thought EHIC only covered emergency care. Drug prices are generally cheap here, except inhalers etc, and low dosage aspirin is unavailable. And many drugs seem to be available without a prescription at full price.
Old May 13th 2018, 10:03 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad Leg
I thought EHIC only covered emergency care. Drug prices are generally cheap here, except inhalers etc, and low dosage aspirin is unavailable. And many drugs seem to be available without a prescription at full price.
A common misunderstanding. EHIC covers any treatment that becomes necessary during your visit. https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Health...-the-ehic.aspx

Low dose Aspirin IS available and I understand that asthma inhalers are also cheap in Spain. Many people buy them to take back to the UK.
Old May 13th 2018, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

tonisdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bad Leg
A 62 year old British guy I know here in Gandia, renting an apartment for six months, not registered but with an EHIC card went to the local clinic, got seen by a doctor, and has been referred to the hospital for a hernia operation! I thought EHIC only covered emergency care. Drug prices are generally cheap here, except inhalers etc, and low dosage aspirin is unavailable. And many drugs seem to be available without a prescription at full price.
Inhalers are €3.75 in Portugal and can`t see being more expensive in Spain..usually the opposite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.