Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crikey - Is Marbella really this bad?

Crikey - Is Marbella really this bad?

Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crikey - Is Marbella really this bad?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I completely disagree.

Money buys you so much more than happiness, if you are clever and use it well it buys you security and peace of mind... which in turn gets you happiness.
With many ppl.its a case of the more they get,the more they want,..so they are never satisfied.
Others spend most of their life fretting about what will happen to it when they're gone.
Good point from Rotor,you can also be plagued with hangers-on and gold-diggers,..not always easy to recognise till its too late.
Theres always others who know best where to place it for the best return,but don't seem so keen on doing likewise with their own.
Its a bit of a headache really,..those without wish they had it,...but if they had they'd probably blow it sharpish anyway.
Those with it seem to worry too much.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:31 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
With many ppl.its a case of the more they get,the more they want,..so they are never satisfied.
Others spend most of their life fretting about what will happen to it when they're gone.
Good point from Rotor,you can also be plagued with hangers-on and gold-diggers,..not always easy to recognise till its too late.
Theres always others who know best where to place it for the best return,but don't seem so keen on doing likewise with their own.
Its a bit of a headache really,..those without wish they had it,...but if they had they'd probably blow it sharpish anyway.
Those with it seem to worry too much.
Like I said... if you are smart enough to make it work for you I don't see what the issue is really.

I know it can be really horrible fretting all the time to pay bills and rent and god knows what else and I know thats not a nice place to be so in that sense money does indeed buy you happiness.... would it be the same if say you won the lotto or came into something quickly and out of the blue, well the statistics for that are there for all to see, it just doesn't happen but even then there are enough conflicting stories about people who are suddenly filthy rich and never worry another day in their lives.

I think it also depends on what we all define as money and conversely what we define as poverty and strife. We are more than comfortable with our lives, we want for very little and are very happy and we rent, don't own and are always looking 6 months ahead to ensure that happiness continues, but then I also know that I won't ever need to worry about a state pension or never having a nest egg so again, thats where my happiness comes from I guess.

Not easy really is it?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Like I said... if you are smart enough to make it work for you I don't see what the issue is really.

I know it can be really horrible fretting all the time to pay bills and rent and god knows what else and I know thats not a nice place to be so in that sense money does indeed buy you happiness.... would it be the same if say you won the lotto or came into something quickly and out of the blue, well the statistics for that are there for all to see, it just doesn't happen but even then there are enough conflicting stories about people who are suddenly filthy rich and never worry another day in their lives.

I think it also depends on what we all define as money and conversely what we define as poverty and strife. We are more than comfortable with our lives, we want for very little and are very happy and we rent, don't own and are always looking 6 months ahead to ensure that happiness continues, but then I also know that I won't ever need to worry about a state pension or never having a nest egg so again, thats where my happiness comes from I guess.

Not easy really is it?
WOW, what a good post. Can't really put it any better so I won't try !
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Not easy really is it?
Quite agree with all of that,...also that enough to guarantee safety,security and good living standards is all that is required,.....but ONLY given the right state of mind.
However for the reasons I mentioned it doesnt always work out that way,even for those who have invested wisely.
Much depends on a persons outlook on life.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Quite agree with all of that,...also that enough to guarantee safety,security and good living standards is all that is required,.....but ONLY given the right state of mind.
However for the reasons I mentioned it doesnt always work out that way,even for those who have invested wisely.
Much depends on a persons outlook on life.
Absolutely and I can say from personal experience of a family member who lives in Dubai, all the money in the world has done him no favours, he is still a nasty piece of work.... on the other side I have good friends who live in such diverse places as the middle of woods and I have yet to meet happier people.... BUT...... these are extremes.... they are poles apart form the vast majority of people.... for the rest of us "norms" money brings happiness.... excess or deprivation aside.... money brings happiness.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:36 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Matt’s put it very well and without irony. I had a spell of insane luck during the Thatcher years. I had just sold a house to buy another one, when everything was being privatised and I invested in all those strange things like water, electricity, banks; I’ve forgotten the other things, it might have even been the air but I don’t know if she got round to selling that.

Everything seemed to double in value overnight and I bought the other house as well. Even that doubled in value in I think less than a year.

Did all that money bring me happiness? No, I was so unhappy with the UK that I came to Spain after selling up.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

So briefly I think we all agree contentment is worth more than any amount of money ,
Old Apr 20th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

It would seem that way, after all what's the point of endless money if your lonely, sad & all round miserable ?

Happiness seems to be most peoples aim .
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by savateur
Happiness seems to be most peoples aim
Seemed like most of the people in that video were happy to me
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Seemed like most of the people in that video were happy to me

I`d guess that was with some help from cocaína ,Spain is also the biggest consumer in europe,alegedly.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

I'm just loving the sweeping generalisations and stereotyping. I'm sure all the petrolheads I know that do Ascari would love to be tarred with the same brush as a bunch of spoilt rich kids spending Daddies money in Banus. I mean I can hardly walk out my flat what with all the drug dealers, constant shootings and expensive whores that litter Marbella
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I`d guess that was with some help from cocaína ,Spain is also the biggest consumer in europe,alegedly.
You think the people in that video were Spanish The cameras went out to make a certain kind of programme. They could have made the same video in any UK highstreet on a Saturday night, but replace the champaigne for lager!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm just loving the sweeping generalisations and stereotyping. I'm sure all the petrolheads I know that do Ascari would love to be tarred with the same brush as a bunch of spoilt rich kids spending Daddies money in Banus. I mean I can hardly walk out my flat what with all the drug dealers, constant shootings and expensive whores that litter Marbella

You can hardly argue that Marbella is virtually crime free seeing as its the crime capital of Spain if not western europe

Just google crime marbella , you`ll get over 250k hits!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rotor
:its the crime capital of Spain if not western europe
PMSL.. oh dear, I don't know why I'm bothering but

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...of-Europe.html

I also Googled "crime Bournemouth", you know.. just for balance like.. 600K hits
Old Apr 20th 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

PMSL.. oh dear, I don't know why I'm bothering but

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...of-Europe.html

I also Googled "crime Bournemouth", you know.. just for balance like.. 600K hits

I dont know why you are bothering either ,you`ll not convince me or many other any different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.