Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Crikey - the Aussies are snubbing Britain...

Crikey - the Aussies are snubbing Britain...

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 11:18 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crikey - the Aussies are snubbing Britain...

Bad news for the Aussie expat businesses...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25401024
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crikey - the Aussies are snubbing Britain...

Give it 18 months and they'll be back providing the visa regime doesn't get even stricter. The UK economy is officially booming and Australia's is about to crash.

Having said that an Aussie couple I know are about to leave as soon as they naturalise after seven years here.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:47 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Bad news for the Aussie expat businesses...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25401024
having been out there in the late 1960's I found their attitude to life bizarre to say the least.
they have spent the decades since then still cuddling up to the UK for comfort, sending their children to the UK to get jobs as dish-washers, whilst paying huge sums to ship UK goods out there to keep that feeling of "home". Also seemed so intent on keeping that "special" relationship they would buy Japanese products at full list price from the UK when anyone with any sense just needed to catch a sampan across to Singapore or Hong Kong to get things at stonking discounts.

but it is only in very recent years they have suddenly switched on to the fact that their neighbours in the Pacific Rim can help them far more and that they really should get to know them, that they can contribute to Australia's economy as much as Australia can contribute to theirs.

Very much seems like someone has been sleeping with the sheets over their head for oh so long and mum has lifted them off enabling them to see a brave new world out there.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:19 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

They don't do themselves any favours, still going around with a chip on their shoulders a mile high.

From what I gather from some overseas friends in the catering trade back in their own countries, the typical loud-mouthed Aussies are about as welcome as a fart in a perfume shop.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 7:55 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
They don't do themselves any favours, still going around with a chip on their shoulders a mile high.

From what I gather from some overseas friends in the catering trade back in their own countries, the typical loud-mouthed Aussies are about as welcome as a fart in a perfume shop.
how many are second or third generation ? - very much like the Muslims in the Uk who believe they have every right God/Allah can give.

OK I raised the M word, but the parallels are so similar to be unbelievable.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 12:43 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

"A well balanced Aussie has a chip on both shoulders" as my father likes to say. Well, for what it's worth, the cultural cringe factor has noticeably reduced in the last ten years IMHO.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 8:20 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing that an eighth of my family live down under, my words are censored.

When I first went out to visit them I used to wonder at their attitude to their closest neighbours, those giant South Sea Islanders that never stop eating,

But as Domino said, they appear to have woken up to the fact that they need to trade with their neighbours and not the Commonwealth who is skint.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:32 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Give it 18 months and they'll be back providing the visa regime doesn't get even stricter. The UK economy is officially booming and Australia's is about to crash.

Having said that an Aussie couple I know are about to leave as soon as they naturalise after seven years here.
You are joking right???
Old Jan 26th 2014, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by IamStu
You are joking right???
Nope. It avoided the last recession largely to exporting raw materials to China. It's too heavily reliant on the mining sector which is in turn reliant on continued high rates of Chinese growth. Now China's economy is starting to slow down.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Nope. It avoided the last recession largely to exporting raw materials to China. It's too heavily reliant on the mining sector which is in turn reliant on continued high rates of Chinese growth. Now China's economy is starting to slow down.
I was aware the Australia were able to avoid recession through their mining though it was about the only industry propping it up.
I wasn´t aware it too was starting to take a hit. Then again, China had to slow at some point and again, I didn´t realise Australia were solely dependant on them!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by IamStu
I was aware the Australia were able to avoid recession through their mining though it was about the only industry propping it up.
I wasn´t aware it too was starting to take a hit. Then again, China had to slow at some point and again, I didn´t realise Australia were solely dependant on them!
Australia was the only 'Western' country to avoid the recession largely because it was exporting raw materials to China. Unfortunately that also pushed the Aussie dollar sky high making exports expensive and creating a housing price bubble in the big cities. China's economy is still getting bigger but the rate of growth is now starting to slow.