Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 Vaccine in Madrid

Covid-19 Vaccine in Madrid

Old Mar 17th 2021, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

khorram is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Covid-19 Vaccine in Madrid

I am a British citizen and have been living in Madrid for 7 years ( I have a permanent NIE). I have been using private health since my arrival in Madrid. I applied for Tarjeta Sanitaria (Spanish Health Card) and I was told I am not entitled tp it since I have never worked and paid money to the Spanish system.
Therefore, since I do not exist in the Spanish health system I am wondering how would I be contacted to do a Covid -19 vaccine. I also think I am in the list of high priority to receive the vaccine as I am 61 years old and suffering from cancer.
Any guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine in Madrid

TBH and I know iis extreme, I would go back to UK and get vaccination. There are very few people in Spain who will not be registered with the public system. Most Brits have S1 or are on convenio. Basically you are going to be forgotten for a long while. Spain is struggling to vaccinate its population, production is slowing, revacccination will be needed in 6 months etc..
Old Mar 18th 2021, 7:17 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by khorram
I am a British citizen and have been living in Madrid for 7 years ( I have a permanent NIE). I have been using private health since my arrival in Madrid. I applied for Tarjeta Sanitaria (Spanish Health Card) and I was told I am not entitled tp it since I have never worked and paid money to the Spanish system.
Therefore, since I do not exist in the Spanish health system I am wondering how would I be contacted to do a Covid -19 vaccine. I also think I am in the list of high priority to receive the vaccine as I am 61 years old and suffering from cancer.
Any guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you.
If you are not resident, you will not be contacted. I would suggest you contact your private health care provider to arrange vaccination.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

'An Embassy spokesperson said: “The Spanish Government’s Vaccination Strategy is clear that, as a matter of public health, all people living in Spain are eligible for the vaccine, regardless of nationality or residency status. At the current time, those in the priority groups are being vaccinated – irrespective of nationality or type of sickness insurance. The Vaccination Strategy is updated regularly to include new priority groups as the number of doses available gradually increases.'

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-03-15/covid-19-vaccines-for-uk-nationals-in-spain-what-the-british-embassy-says.html

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-03-15/spanish-health-ministry-sets-out-groups-of-chronically-ill-who-will-be-next-to-receive-the-covid-19-vaccine.html

Last edited by spainrico; Mar 18th 2021 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
'An Embassy spokesperson said: “The Spanish Government’s Vaccination Strategy is clear that, as a matter of public health, all people living in Spain are eligible for the vaccine, regardless of nationality or residency status. At the current time, those in the priority groups are being vaccinated – irrespective of nationality or type of sickness insurance. The Vaccination Strategy is updated regularly to include new priority groups as the number of doses available gradually increases.'

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-03-15/covid-19-vaccines-for-uk-nationals-in-spain-what-the-british-embassy-says.html

https://english.elpais.com/society/2021-03-15/spanish-health-ministry-sets-out-groups-of-chronically-ill-who-will-be-next-to-receive-the-covid-19-vaccine.html
Unfortunately what the Embassy says doesn't mean there is actually an operating plan active at the moment. Anyone who goes to their central salud and is not registered will be turned away. Either you sit and wait- which will mean months or you try and get vaccinated in UK. If I was vulnerable and worried I know what I would do.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 9:13 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

I am still registered with a GP in the UK and could get vaccinated there.

However, I think that travelling to the UK is quite difficult and for essential reasons only.

So as soon as the UK lifts the travel restrictions, I will go there to get the vaccine.

Old Mar 18th 2021, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
I am still registered with a GP in the UK and could get vaccinated there.

However, I think that travelling to the UK is quite difficult and for essential reasons only.

So as soon as the UK lifts the travel restrictions, I will go there to get the vaccine.
You can leave Spain easily if you can find a flight but you would need to be PCR tested and quarantine for 10 days. You would then be able to get vaccinated and could then return to Spain providing you have green card or new TIE
Given your condition isnt it sensible to do eeverything you can to limit any serious illness?
Old Mar 18th 2021, 9:32 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it is the quarantine for 10 days that is the problem.

I will wait until they lift this requirement, by which time I may be able to get the vaccine in Spain anyway...

I had Covid in January and it was a very mild case. Basically, I went to bed for four hours once and felt a bit off form for a few days, nada mas!
Old Mar 18th 2021, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter rang us to say a letter from the nhs had arrived for me, Telling me my vaccination was ready and to ring .I have lived in Spain now 6 years .I have been in self isolation since 10 march 2020 and have only been out for
Doctors
Blood tests
X-rays
Ecg,s
Consultants
And an operation
Oh and the dentist.
The Spanish health care is first class and good enough for me I will wait for my vaccination in Spain, there is no way I will travel to the UK. Our local pharmacist has had her jab and said it will not be long now, So I will wait.
Old Mar 18th 2021, 2:07 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

This (21st of February) says central government is devising a plan to vaccinate retired people who aren't in the public health system:

https://www.eldiario.es/desalambre/a...1_7243604.html

But this (2nd of march) from the Junta of Andalucia says that foreigners who aren't in their regional health system should either get their vaccination from their own country or get regularised and on to their system (maybe easier said than done). They also said private health insurance won't be offering vaccines. But as it's the Junta de Andalucia this policy may vary in other regions or central government may overrule them:

https://www.malagahoy.es/marbella/ex...550847202.html