Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

It could only happen in the UK ?

It could only happen in the UK ?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 9:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default It could only happen in the UK ?

lets take a nice aerial picture of the Thames, keeping Tower Bridge as the main foreground, oh dear who parked that scruffy WWII cruiser there, airbrush it out quick before the Olympics Committee see it

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/london-...5875-23550568/

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ful-Games.html

Last edited by Domino; Nov 10th 2011 at 9:12 am.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:46 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It could only happen in the UK ?

Originally Posted by Domino
lets take a nice aerial picture of the Thames, keeping Tower Bridge as the main foreground, oh dear who parked that scruffy WWII cruiser there, airbrush it out quick before the Olympics Committee see it

I have to agree with a poster on another forum, successive governments appear to be determined to airbrush out Englands heritage and culture.

Graham
Old Nov 10th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

There`s a lot of ex servicemen very **ssed off about that.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

It's a disgrace quite frankly.

Why is it that any representation of Britain or it's culture and heritage, is viewed as not politically correct, racist, or offensive to other cultures?

I suppose we should be grateful they didn't Photoshop a bloody mosque into the pic to appease the Muslims. Or airbrush a gay parade onto the bridge to keep that particular demographic happy.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:16 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
There`s a lot of ex servicemen very **ssed off about that.
just a few

Its now the 40th anniversary of her arrival at the Pool of London.
I remember when she was being decommissioned in Portsmouth Dockyard and subsequently visiting in the Pool to see the mess that had been made of the electronics and radio (literally ripped out, cables cut) for small mans profit.
From that we managed to get a live amateur radio station operating, the first contact with the public.

It has taken lots of money and hard work by volunteers to get her back to what she was
http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

for any radio amateurs out there the Belfast group are holding a special station commemorating the arrival of HMS Belfast in the Pool of London in October 1971. the station will be operating until 31st December 2011
http://www.gb2rn.org.uk/home/home.shtml
http://www.qrz.com/db/?callsign=GB40HMSB&x=39&y=25

looking at those photos it is nice to see the wireless office with the old B40's back in place.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:21 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unmutual

Why is it that any representation of Britain or it's culture and heritage, is viewed as not politically correct, racist, or offensive to other cultures?

I suppose we should be grateful they didn't Photoshop a bloody mosque into the pic to appease the Muslims. Or airbrush a gay parade onto the bridge to keep that particular demographic happy.
Why not a gay mosque? Something with pink towers and some nice dance music?
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:47 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Disgraceful
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:54 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

I read some where ages ago there are 60% foreigners living in the UK to 40% Brits, maybe that's why.

Please don't quote me, I don't know if these figures are correct, I think they could be though.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 5:58 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
I read some where ages ago there are 60% foreigners living in the UK to 40% Brits, maybe that's why.

Please don't quote me, I don't know if these figures are correct, I think they could be though.
Everyone in the UK is an immigrant, or the descendant of an immigrant, with the exception of some Celts.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes good point
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

just a few

Its now the 40th anniversary of her arrival at the Pool of London.
I remember when she was being decommissioned in Portsmouth Dockyard and subsequently visiting in the Pool to see the mess that had been made of the electronics and radio (literally ripped out, cables cut) for small mans profit.
From that we managed to get a live amateur radio station operating, the first contact with the public.

It has taken lots of money and hard work by volunteers to get her back to what she was
http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/hms-belfast

for any radio amateurs out there the Belfast group are holding a special station commemorating the arrival of HMS Belfast in the Pool of London in October 1971. the station will be operating until 31st December 2011
http://www.gb2rn.org.uk/home/home.shtml
http://www.qrz.com/db/?callsign=GB40HMSB&x=39&y=25

looking at those photos it is nice to see the wireless office with the old B40's back in place.
Thanks for those interesting links Domino.
Reckon I'll have to blow a bit dust out of the old valves and see if the old girl will fire up again. Not sure what to use for an antenna but there's lots of old wire laid about and plenty of space here, so maybe a G5RV for starters.

I agree with pretty well all the sentiments expressed,....sad,disgusting and disgraceful.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

There are very clear rules within the Olympic Committee regarding the depiction of any form of military equipment or activity... Someone told me that its a hang up from Hitlers days, not sure if thats true but I do know that London Olympics had absolutely no choice.... a decision I happen to agree with 100%... but carry on with the faux outrage....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There are very clear rules within the Olympic Committee regarding the depiction of any form of military equipment or activity... Someone told me that its a hang up from Hitlers days, not sure if thats true but I do know that London Olympics had absolutely no choice.... a decision I happen to agree with 100%... but carry on with the faux outrage....
I can understand the reasoning behind that....so if that was the case why didn't anybody have the basic common sense to use another landmark in the promotion? Or even take the photo from a different direction?
There's a big difference to not showing an object because of camera angle to deliberately doctoring a photo.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Thanks for those interesting links Domino.
Reckon I'll have to blow a bit dust out of the old valves and see if the old girl will fire up again. Not sure what to use for an antenna but there's lots of old wire laid about and plenty of space here, so maybe a G5RV for starters.

I agree with pretty well all the sentiments expressed,....sad,disgusting and disgraceful.
I remember doing some "antenna tests" when I was duty weekend at the time Radio Caroline moved from North Sea to Irish Sea, using an old Collins receiver. made up various designs and hung them in the trees outside the shack, which was on the edge of the signal school.

your biggest problem will surely be the earth. have you got an old metal biscuit tin, heavy duty soldering iron, spade and large bucket of water??
then its just a question of keeping it damp.
never took the RAE, to my long lasting regret. Just did it professionally for a living.
Old Nov 10th 2011, 8:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand the reasoning behind that....so if that was the case why didn't anybody have the basic common sense to use another landmark in the promotion? Or even take the photo from a different direction?
There's a big difference to not showing an object because of camera angle to deliberately doctoring a photo.
Its an constructed photo from start to finish. The ribbon is not real you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.