Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cough after day at beach?

Cough after day at beach?

Old Aug 3rd 2019, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cough after day at beach?

Over the last 3 weeks we have been to the La Mata beach 4 times and on 3 occasion my wife and I have
got some sort of light throat infection, with a dry cough during the evening as if a cold was coming on and
some catarrh the next morning. It has never happened before and is obviously not a coincidence.
I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience maybe at other beaches too?
M
Old Aug 4th 2019, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cough after day at beach?

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
Over the last 3 weeks we have been to the La Mata beach 4 times and on 3 occasion my wife and I have
got some sort of light throat infection, with a dry cough during the evening as if a cold was coming on and
some catarrh the next morning. It has never happened before and is obviously not a coincidence.
I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience maybe at other beaches too?
M
It is very easy to pick up a throat infection from even a small amount of sea water in the throat as the sea is full of bacteria. It obviously depends where you swim but having had the same experience we seldom put our faces under the water near the Marbella beaches. Use a gargle and painkillers. It can also happen in swimming pools so nowhere is completely free of bacteria.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cough after day at beach?

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
M
himaybe1day, there is a thread on the forum about polluted sea areas in spain,, but cant find it and i don,t know how to search the forum,many years ago before i lived in spain permanently,i got a throat infection and chest was quite ill the doctors in spain gave me antibiotics and a tablet for my cough,it took me many weeks too get well, the doctors in england said 1 of three things swimming pool ,sea water and drinking beer straight from the bottle
Old Aug 14th 2019, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cough after day at beach?

Originally Posted by el collado kid
himaybe1day, there is a thread on the forum about polluted sea areas in spain,, but cant find it and i don,t know how to search the forum,many years ago before i lived in spain permanently,i got a throat infection and chest was quite ill the doctors in spain gave me antibiotics and a tablet for my cough,it took me many weeks too get well, the doctors in england said 1 of three things swimming pool ,sea water and drinking beer straight from the bottle
I mentioned it to our doctor. He said La Mata beach had had literally a lot of "Shit" in the water, Better to go to Los Naufragos.
We went to Mar Menor beach today, Great day and no bad throat for either of us. Loads of fish in the water.........
Old Aug 17th 2019, 3:32 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Two of our local beaches were closed for a few days whilst they tested the water...as we had a very intense but brief rainstorm a day or so earlier and drains were overwhelmed and sewerage came into streets and into the river by the beaches..."high bacteria levels" were found, so they closed the beach.. proof that there can be "a lot of "Shit" in the water,"
Old Aug 17th 2019, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Passed by La Mata beach this morning absolutely chockers, We will not be going back there for a while.