Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Del la luz

Costa Del la luz

Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold
Default Costa Del la luz

Hi all,

Can anyone give me some ideas of areas to look at on the costa del la luz which is not to to far (30 mins) to travel to Gibraltar.
Also what is it like on that side to live,only knowing the C.D.Sol. ie: we have 2 small children, so schools would need be on the agenda.

We are not in a position to go over there yet as we are in Australia, although we have decided to Move back, He is not sure if he is ready to go back to the UK yet and has position kept open for him in Gib, we don't want to move to la Linea.

Research from Aus is hard.. What I am worried about is the Language barrier, although we would try as much as we poss to learn and intergrate with the Spanish, I just don't want to go somewhere and feel really Isolated like i do here. not seen any of my neighbors since the day after I moved in.

I have spent time in spain (Nerja) so I know I can get by but that was for only 3 months and no children.

Or we just go home and move to a village nr Cambridge where he has a Job offer..

Hope you can help

Sandra
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all
Default Re: Costa Del la luz

Don´t dismiss La Linea if you haven´t visited for a couple of years as it has improved a lot recently and with Gibraltar opening up its borders, I would think quite a potential growth area. A lot of money seems to be going there and it´s smartened up a lot. Alternatively look at San Roque which is a lovely town where the Spanish that lived in Gib moved to. I would think Tarifa a bit far to commute.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Hi all,

Can anyone give me some ideas of areas to look at on the costa del la luz which is not to to far (30 mins) to travel to Gibraltar.
Also what is it like on that side to live,only knowing the C.D.Sol. ie: we have 2 small children, so schools would need be on the agenda.

We are not in a position to go over there yet as we are in Australia, although we have decided to Move back, He is not sure if he is ready to go back to the UK yet and has position kept open for him in Gib, we don't want to move to la Linea.

Research from Aus is hard.. What I am worried about is the Language barrier, although we would try as much as we poss to learn and intergrate with the Spanish, I just don't want to go somewhere and feel really Isolated like i do here. not seen any of my neighbors since the day after I moved in.

I have spent time in spain (Nerja) so I know I can get by but that was for only 3 months and no children.

Or we just go home and move to a village nr Cambridge where he has a Job offer..

Hope you can help

Sandra
Hi Sandra, there are some really nice people on here that live that way.
Try doing a search for the area or any of the towns, i know Keith Walters lives in Jerez and i have always found him to be not only very informative but also a bloody nice guy, try him.

I will say, and others will too, learning Spanish is bloody essential, in my experience it makes the deference between intergrating and thus succeeding and not!

Last edited by rugbymatt; Jan 11th 2007 at 10:54 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:07 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

We live in land near Jerez, it is a fantastic place we have been here nearly a year we live in a small white town, NO one speaks ? from day one we have been totally accepted by all i have made some fantastic friends and i didnt speak a word of spanish I do now with the help of good friends and listening to the TV, i can recommend the area we are about 1hr 20 from gib a nice drive Fantastic road system and good weather
Its better than going back to wet windy Uk Honest
go for it you will love it !
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lis48
Don´t dismiss La Linea if you haven´t visited for a couple of years as it has improved a lot recently and with Gibraltar opening up its borders, I would think quite a potential growth area. A lot of money seems to be going there and it´s smartened up a lot. Alternatively look at San Roque which is a lovely town where the Spanish that lived in Gib moved to. I would think Tarifa a bit far to commute.

Thanks we will have a look at La Linea,we have just heard so many bad reports, and I was worring about Schools etc, and will look at San Roque, we have not dismissed C.D.S but don't really know any areas close by that wont be to expensive.
I feel so confused at the moment I have lived here in Perth OZ for 12 months now and really hate it it's not the place it is just too far, from family etc at the moment I just can not really picture what my everyday life would be like in Spain, so that is scary, I worry about leaving here to go to spain and feel the same.

Thanks for your help

Sandra x
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gallerie9
We live in land near Jerez, it is a fantastic place we have been here nearly a year we live in a small white town, NO one speaks ? from day one we have been totally accepted by all i have made some fantastic friends and i didnt speak a word of spanish I do now with the help of good friends and listening to the TV, i can recommend the area we are about 1hr 20 from gib a nice drive Fantastic road system and good weather
Its better than going back to wet windy Uk Honest
go for it you will love it !
Hi thanks for that, although that is what we would be looking for he does not want to do to much commuting, so we would need to be 45 Mins tops to Gib.

I think I want to go back to the UK because of the familarity and as I have been living here in Aus for a year, I miss all the normal things in life, Family culture,friends, and just seeing people. and having some stability and a sense of belonging..
Sandra
Old Jan 12th 2007, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Hi Sandra, there are some really nice people on here that live that way.
Try doing a search for the area or any of the towns, i know Keith Walters lives in Jerez and i have always found him to be not only very informative but also a bloody nice guy, try him.

I will say, and others will too, learning Spanish is bloody essential, in my experience it makes the deference between intergrating and thus succeeding and not!
Thanks RM I will send him a pm,
I have some Spainish CDs which I have had for 2 years, so if he makes the def decision we are going to Spain, I will get them out and start learning.
The last thing we want do is be really isolated, because of our own ignorance.

Sandra

Sandra
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:10 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for that, although that is what we would be looking for he does not want to do to much commuting, so we would need to be 45 Mins tops to Gib.

I think I want to go back to the UK because of the familarity and as I have been living here in Aus for a year, I miss all the normal things in life, Family culture,friends, and just seeing people. and having some stability and a sense of belonging..
Sandra
Add 15+ mins on for the queue to get through the border each time.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr

Is that on foot or by car?

Last edited by sandrainaus; Jan 12th 2007 at 6:22 am.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 6:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Is that on foot or by car?
By car, walk through or on a bike is a lot quicker. Its really just the cars trying to get in is the worst, coming out depends on how the Spanish feel, sometimes they search all cars (fags are so cheap), another time every 2nd or 3rd.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
By car, walk through or on a bike is a lot quicker. Its really just the cars trying to get in is the worst, coming out depends on how the Spanish feel, sometimes they search all cars (fags are so cheap), another time every 2nd or 3rd.

Thanks depending on Where we live (if Spain is the avenue we take) he will park in or near La linea and walk across, or if we live close enough he will bike it.
All we need to do is make the decision:scared:

Thanks for the advice.

Sandra
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Went to Gib yesterday and no queue whatsoever either end. Same when I went just before Christmas. I´ve never actually been stopped and searched and never even had my passport looked at and I go quite often. I must have a friendlier face than you jdr! Things have changed a lot in the last couple of months and I do remember the awful queues of last year. If you worked there though you would park in La Linea and walk over as it´s so much cheaper. I like the excuse to have a Pimms at the Rock hotel and walk round the botanical gardens. I hate the rest of Gib. but it´s the only place to get a decent rate of interest on any savings so needs must visit...
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:02 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Lis48
Went to Gib yesterday and no queue whatsoever either end. Same when I went just before Christmas. I´ve never actually been stopped and searched and never even had my passport looked at and I go quite often. I must have a friendlier face than you jdr! Things have changed a lot in the last couple of months and I do remember the awful queues of last year. If you worked there though you would park in La Linea and walk over as it´s so much cheaper. I like the excuse to have a Pimms at the Rock hotel and walk round the botanical gardens. I hate the rest of Gib. but it´s the only place to get a decent rate of interest on any savings so needs must visit...
Its strange sometimes we go through no search, another time they check the boot.
Once when we took fags, we had to go to the office and get our passports swiped.
One time an old Spanish guy even had the carrier box on his bike searched, LOL
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:05 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Hope you can help

Sandra
Depends on whether you want coastal or slightly inland. Coastal you could aim for Tarifa - one of the more interesting coastal towns with a good buzz to it, Algeciras doesn't do a lot for me. Barbate, Conil, Vejer, Chiclana are all going to be a bit too far for the 45 minutes.

Inland then the main Jerez dual carriageway goes past Los Barrios (not great) Alcala de los Gazules (OK) and Medina Sidonia (pretty good), with Benelupe (bit new-town like) quite close as well - all of these three are a lot closer than Jerez.

If you had the money I would go for Tarifa - access to the beach and a bit more going on than many of the other towns.
Old Jan 12th 2007, 4:53 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
Its strange sometimes we go through no search, another time they check the boot.
Once when we took fags, we had to go to the office and get our passports swiped.
One time an old Spanish guy even had the carrier box on his bike searched, LOL
Went to Gib four times last year arriving about 9am each time, twice we had over a 45 mins wait, and was search both times. once we walked on but had to wait for the barrier to rise over the runway. The last time a week before Christmas we wait 20 mins no one was interested in our passports and coming off the Spanish chappy just asked us if we had anything to declare, we said no and he waved us through we waved our passports at him and just waved us away, it was rush hour at the time!

Sanrainaus, I think you are feeling a little home sick for family and friends as Aussy and NZ are a long way away, I know as we spent a little time in NZ and have thought very long and hard about going back. I think once you have been home to see your family you will feel better and when you see the changes in Blighty Spain will not seem to far away to live from your family and friends, remember it is a lot nearer than the other side of the world. I wish you well in your discission.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.