Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Costa Blanca - A Place To Live!

Costa Blanca - A Place To Live!

Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:15 am
Just Joined

exuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costa Blanca - A Place To Live!

Calling all expats in or around the Denia / Javea area . Just would like to know . Is it really the perfect place in the world to live and bring up a young family; clean air, low crime, brilliant sunshine , affordable housing, cheaper food, polite people, cheaper fuel..............where is the fly in the ointment??? if there is one!
Thank you!!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costa Blanca - A Place To Live!

Originally Posted by exuma
Calling all expats in or around the Denia / Javea area . Just would like to know . Is it really the perfect place in the world to live and bring up a young family; clean air, low crime, brilliant sunshine , affordable housing, cheaper food, polite people, cheaper fuel..............where is the fly in the ointment??? if there is one!
Thank you!!

Yes!

Denia / Javea aren't the cheapest property wise, but we chose Oliva which is in close distance to Gandia, Denia, Javea, but we found property prices cheaper. We have access to beautiful inland area, the sun is still shining happily here today and we have blue flag beaches a short distance away.

Not too sure on the schools situation, but I have seen good things written. I have not seen or heard of any crime at all locally apart from a few break ins a year or so ago, although I'm sure it exists.

Cost of living is much less than the UK, but thats not difficult is it! Our cost of living is around 1000 euros a month for two of us, and I would say if you buy Spanish produce your grocery bills will reduce by maybe 30%.

Although I have read of people experiencing problems with Spanish people, I have found them all to be very friendly and helpful.

The downsides, getting through the beaurocracy without the language in my experience. And I don't have to work, so if you do I would begin to look at things in a different perspective. It seems its not easy to get work over here for a non Spanish speaker

Good luck, and queries don't hesitate to ask .... I am already meeting one family coming over in Feb to empart our experiences
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you!!
Hiya,

Me and my husband moved out in June with our two small children. We absolutely love it........We live in the same place as Mitzyboy. Our children go to a Spanish school and a Spanish nursery. They really enjoy it.

We have no regrets at all and don't want to return to live in England.

I have given up work to look after the children (I was working part0time evenings in the UK) so we probably are the same off financially. But have a much better way of life.

As Mitzyboy commented on, the language barrier / redtape, is the biggest issue. But thats a small price to pay really.

Good luck
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hiya,

Me and my husband moved out in June with our two small children. We absolutely love it........We live in the same place as Mitzyboy. Our children go to a Spanish school and a Spanish nursery. They really enjoy it.

We have no regrets at all and don't want to return to live in England.

I have given up work to look after the children (I was working part0time evenings in the UK) so we probably are the same off financially. But have a much better way of life.

As Mitzyboy commented on, the language barrier / redtape, is the biggest issue. But thats a small price to pay really.

Good luck
Thank you both for your comments! Our children are 8 and 3, we were thinking of putting our 8yr old into an international school for a year and then into a spanish school, what do you think? We would like to buy an old house to do up, are there any british builders around Oliva / Gandia that you have heard of? We live in buckinghamshire and last night the winds were so strong it was lifting the tiles and smashing them back down again (lost three), along with the heavy rain all night....followed by floods this morning, couldnt get our 3yr old to nursery, road closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bye, Bye Britain...........Hello Spain.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you both for your comments! Our children are 8 and 3, we were thinking of putting our 8yr old into an international school for a year and then into a spanish school, what do you think? We would like to buy an old house to do up, are there any british builders around Oliva / Gandia that you have heard of? We live in buckinghamshire and last night the winds were so strong it was lifting the tiles and smashing them back down again (lost three), along with the heavy rain all night....followed by floods this morning, couldnt get our 3yr old to nursery, road closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh that's awful !!!! Typical Britain ey

Just to rub it in, there's blue skies here and the sun is shining !!! 16 degrees but in the sun, feels warmer ....sorry

I know there are quite a few builders around Oliva. I have the number of a carpenter (although he is an electrician, builder etc etc) that fitted our kitchen, and put in another door for our terrace. He was brilliant......

About the schools....not sure, mixed views depending on areas. Met a chap in Oliva, who put his child in an international school but wasn't happy at the progress of his childs Spanish...? Not sure how old he was though.....

I think it's down to personal preference. But in my view, children mix better the younger they are, and adapt better. It might be better putting your 8 year old straight in a Spanish school (if thats the end goal) to spare the upheaval of moving schools again....

Anyway best go.....my 2 year old is not happy.

Anyway, PM me anytime

Bye for now

Mich
Old Jan 10th 2007, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Oh that's awful !!!! Typical Britain ey

Just to rub it in, there's blue skies here and the sun is shining !!! 16 degrees but in the sun, feels warmer ....sorry

I know there are quite a few builders around Oliva. I have the number of a carpenter (although he is an electrician, builder etc etc) that fitted our kitchen, and put in another door for our terrace. He was brilliant......

About the schools....not sure, mixed views depending on areas. Met a chap in Oliva, who put his child in an international school but wasn't happy at the progress of his childs Spanish...? Not sure how old he was though.....

I think it's down to personal preference. But in my view, children mix better the younger they are, and adapt better. It might be better putting your 8 year old straight in a Spanish school (if thats the end goal) to spare the upheaval of moving schools again....

Anyway best go.....my 2 year old is not happy.

Anyway, PM me anytime

Bye for now

Mich
Will do!!!
Bye.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!!
We live in Javea Port and have been here for two and half years now.
I only wish we had moved earlier.
We would n't dream of moving anywhere else.
Yes it is paradise, there is quite a lot of red tape for anything legal, but the pace of life is so laid back , just go with the flow.
Property in this area is quite expensive now ,but still a few bargains around.
Don't leave it to long though!
Regards
Old Jan 10th 2007, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BigD
We live in Javea Port and have been here for two and half years now.
I only wish we had moved earlier.
We would n't dream of moving anywhere else.
Yes it is paradise, there is quite a lot of red tape for anything legal, but the pace of life is so laid back , just go with the flow.
Property in this area is quite expensive now ,but still a few bargains around.
Don't leave it to long though!
Regards
EXCELLENT NEWS!!! I will go pack now after my
Bye!!
Only joking I hardly touch the stuff!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:44 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My housekeepers husband is a builder and has done work for us. He is about to complete our underbuild and does a good job
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My housekeepers husband is a builder and has done work for us. He is about to complete our underbuild and does a good job
Ok thats good to know . One other question, is there many English speaking in the Oliva / Gandia area or is Spanish an absolute must? My wife and I are going to learn, but at present cant speak a word.
Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok thats good to know . One other question, is there many English speaking in the Oliva / Gandia area or is Spanish an absolute must? My wife and I are going to learn, but at present cant speak a word.
Thanks!
Morning mate !

Yes, there is quite a few English, and Spanish that can understand what we are trying to say , but I would definitely start learning Spanish ASAP. My husband has now enrolled in a course....and will be teaching me what he's learnt soon ......when it gets more clearer !!!!

In this area we have found the Spanish very helpful indeed, we take our Spanish phrase book everywhere still, and try to communicate in Spanish the best we can.

We would absolutely hate to think the Spanish thought we were ignorant...so I would recommend starting to learn the lingo ASAP.

The phrase book we book in England (WHSmith) is Berlitz Spanish Phrase Book and Dictionary, it's worth its weight in gold....it'll be worth buying it and familiarising yourself with phrases, key words.....so at least you know how to ask for a beer !!

Take care
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:15 am
Just Joined

Morning mate !

Yes, there is quite a few English, and Spanish that can understand what we are trying to say , but I would definitely start learning Spanish ASAP. My husband has now enrolled in a course....and will be teaching me what he's learnt soon ......when it gets more clearer !!!!

In this area we have found the Spanish very helpful indeed, we take our Spanish phrase book everywhere still, and try to communicate in Spanish the best we can.

We would absolutely hate to think the Spanish thought we were ignorant...so I would recommend starting to learn the lingo ASAP.

The phrase book we book in England (WHSmith) is Berlitz Spanish Phrase Book and Dictionary, it's worth its weight in gold....it'll be worth buying it and familiarising yourself with phrases, key words.....so at least you know how to ask for a beer !!

Take care
Ok....brilliant!:scared: I will buy one later. Sorry to keep asking all these questions!!! but heres another. Can you recommend a GOOD estate agent to meet when we come over on an inspection trip, or should we just go to the local ones in town? We have heard all the usual horror stories about Valencian land grab etc!!!
Thanks again !!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok....brilliant!:scared: I will buy one later. Sorry to keep asking all these questions!!! but heres another. Can you recommend a GOOD estate agent to meet when we come over on an inspection trip, or should we just go to the local ones in town? We have heard all the usual horror stories about Valencian land grab etc!!!
Thanks again !!
No worries, we asked heaps of questions.......

We used Parasol Networks www.parasolnetworks.com .....they were fantastic...they are a consultancy which use the Estate Agents to find a property for you....so they don't take you to lots of properties that are no good and way off your budget....like some do (had one experience...that was enough!!)

I couldn't recommend them enough! I don't think we could have done it without them really........they organised everything for us, thought of things we didn't even consider.....

If you want to know any more feel free to PM me

Cheers x

Last edited by jdr; Jan 11th 2007 at 9:28 am. Reason: Sorting link out
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

EXCELLENT NEWS!!! I will go pack now after my
Bye!!
Only joking I hardly touch the stuff!
I didn't till I got out here hic, no only joking, but with not having to go to work, time is my own, and I enjoy a beer with my evening meal,
and at only 33c for a 500 ml can I can't really complain can I. We live on the South CB, and just love it, ate our lunch on the terrace in the sun today as we have done nearly everyday this winter.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:43 pm
Senior Moment

Thanks again !!

Mike Kirtley, www.spanishselection.com
Tell him what you want and how much you want to pay and hell put a portfolio together for you. No pressure, no charge, nice bloke. He even drives you from place to place.

Oliva is very friendly, although Mrs E has obviously had more luck than me with the old english speakers. Its easy to get by with a little Spanish, but its when you come up against officialdom that you really begin to struggle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.