Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Which Costa??????

Which Costa??????

Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Scottish Jo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Costa??????

Hi all. Myself and my husband have a dream of emigrating to the sun with our 6 year old daughter. I feel it would give us all a happier, healthier outdoor life to that in rainy Scotland! We are focusing on the Andulicia region, mostly Costa Del Sol and Costa Tropical. Can anyone give me some starter points please of areas to research baring in mind I would prefer my daughter went to an International school and I would like to work in childcare of somesort, or office work. Any pointers would be grately appreciated. Its such a massive decision and already I feel overwhelmed about how to start! Many thanks.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 10:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Costa??????

Originally Posted by Scottish Jo
Hi all. Myself and my husband have a dream of emigrating to the sun with our 6 year old daughter. I feel it would give us all a happier, healthier outdoor life to that in rainy Scotland! We are focusing on the Andulicia region, mostly Costa Del Sol and Costa Tropical. Can anyone give me some starter points please of areas to research baring in mind I would prefer my daughter went to an International school and I would like to work in childcare of somesort, or office work. Any pointers would be grately appreciated. Its such a massive decision and already I feel overwhelmed about how to start! Many thanks.
Welcome to BE.

I'm not sure whether you have read other posts about moving to Spain, but they are usually towards the negative unless you are bringing over a shed load of money, and do not need to work. Unemployment in Spain is many time worse than the UK, and unless you speak fluent Spanish then the jobs you are talking about are in even shorter supply. I do not see why you feel your daughter would need an international school, a Spanish school would be great ffor her and she would be fluent within a couple of terms.
Bear in mind that, in Spain, to get access to the Spanish health service you would need to be working in a legally contracted job, or be self-employed (autonomo) which cost around €250 a month, otherwise it would mean private cover. You also need to bear in mind that there is no benefit system in Spain.
As many people say Spain is a wonderful place to live if you have money and don't need to work, but not very good if you are an immigrant and need to work. Many jobs are paid 'on the black' which mean no access to healthcare, and things like childcare are among the lowest paid as most Spanish families rely on relatives as the extended family is alive and well in Spain.

I would do very careful research about the coasts involved and work out whether it would be much cheaper and simpler to move withing the UK to a drier warmeer area, you would still have the benefit system as back up, and a free NHS, the Spanish system is not free in any case, there ae still costs involved, although much subsidised.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Mikelincs already mentioned the negative posts and unfortunately most of it is true. It always depends what your expectations are and how much money you have or need. Finding a job is one thing, but then try earning enough to live that happier healthier lifestyle we all want.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:38 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't say what work your husband does as clearly that would be an important factor.

I live on the Costa Tropical and if you want a good spot to start looking in that area, look at Almunecar. It does have a good international school.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you Fred James. My husband will not be working and altho I would prefer to work it is not a necessity so thank you for the starting area to look at.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your detailed reply Mikelincs. Not really the positive start I was hoping for however you've definately raised some issues I have yet considered so many thanks for your input.

Last edited by Fred James; Aug 25th 2015 at 12:20 pm. Reason: Tidied up incorrect quote
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:46 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Becoming a millionaire in Spain is simple. Simply bring 2 million with you.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Fred James. My husband will not be working and altho I would prefer to work it is not a necessity so thank you for the starting area to look at.
If you both don't need to work then you must be independently wealthy with at least 1million euros in the bank so sure, go for it!

Your daughter doesn't need to go to international school as she is young enough to learn Spanish quickly. If she does go then you need to budget 500-1,000 euros per month for that

For 3,000-5,000 euros per month, you can have a good family life in those areas. You are best to come and have a look around yourself, which as you both don't work and have lots of money will be easy as pie
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:56 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
If you both don't need to work then you must be independently wealthy with at least 1million euros in the bank so sure, go for it!

Your daughter doesn't need to go to international school as she is young enough to learn Spanish quickly. If she does go then you need to budget 500-1,000 euros per month for that

For 3,000-5,000 euros per month, you can have a good family life in those areas. You are best to come and have a look around yourself, which as you both don't work and have lots of money will be easy as pie
1 Million in the bank Again depends on the individual and what age they are. Sure if you want to buy the biggest cars and eat in the most expensive places like you do CM, then you need that kind of money. Most people don't even have that type of spending money after 50 years of saving.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
1 Million in the bank Again depends on the individual and what age they are. Sure if you want to buy the biggest cars and eat in the most expensive places like you do CM, then you need that kind of money. Most people don't even have that type of spending money after 50 years of saving.
The OP says they have a small child and don't need to work

I would say £1 million is the minimum they would need. At 3% this gives you an income after tax of less than EUR3,000 per month which isnt a lot if sending your child to international school

£2 million would be more prudent and should get them through old age as they won't have a state pension to rely on

I am assuming the OP and partner are in their 30s. If they are both 60 something then the situation is very different
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket can't agree that you need millions to move to Spain( without working) even with a kid
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dondurma
Cricket can't agree that you need millions to move to Spain( without working) even with a kid
Depends how long you decide to stay in Spain and if you ever plan on working again

My sums were based on someone with a child aged 30 something who would never work again. They need at least £1 million, maybe £2 million

Remember if you dont work then you will have no pension either. And £1 million in 30 years time will be worth much much less

This is something I have thought about a lot - in terms of early retirement or semi-retirement. Someone could theoretically retire on as little as half a million euros aged 40. But you cant get much more that EUR1,200 out of that each month, which would be terrible now and absolutely destitute in 30 years time

Remember that if you then retire in Spain you would get no pension at all. You would be left to starve
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am early retired ( retired at 47) now 52. Granted I have a pension roughly €1500 net per month ( no rent) and around €120k in bank.

Well well short of millions but I believe enough to live very well on for wifey and me
Old Aug 25th 2015, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cricketman
Depends how long you decide to stay in Spain and if you ever plan on working again

My sums were based on someone with a child aged 30 something who would never work again. They need at least £1 million, maybe £2 million

Remember if you dont work then you will have no pension either. And £1 million in 30 years time will be worth much much less

This is something I have thought about a lot - in terms of early retirement or semi-retirement. Someone could theoretically retire on as little as half a million euros aged 40. But you cant get much more that EUR1,200 out of that each month, which would be terrible now and absolutely destitute in 30 years time

Remember that if you then retire in Spain you would get no pension at all. You would be left to starve
Well €1200 a month is more than most pensioners get. A couple both 30 years of age earning €1200 each (a good salary these days), would need to work nearly 35 years to even have 1 Million. In those 35 years they would have spent over 200K on rent, if their rent was around €500 per month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.