Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The cost of wood!(for burning)

The cost of wood!(for burning)

Old Sep 6th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default The cost of wood!(for burning)

I for one was very interested in the diversion on the labour costs thread. Marchena can you let me know how your pellet stove works and how easy you find it to get reliable deliveries...and the costs of pellets. I'm wondering whether to invest in one because I need to keep my hands clean for my work and stoking stoves isn't fun. I'll be looking for one with a backboiler...But since I can't afford one this year I'll be using the wood stove for at least another year.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 10:55 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The cost of wood!(for burning)

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I for one was very interested in the diversion on the labour costs thread. Marchena can you let me know how your pellet stove works and how easy you find it to get reliable deliveries...and the costs of pellets. I'm wondering whether to invest in one because I need to keep my hands clean for my work and stoking stoves isn't fun. I'll be looking for one with a backboiler...But since I can't afford one this year I'll be using the wood stove for at least another year.
We all have our personal reasons for what we choose, but mine are simple. Pellet stoves are more expensive, and you are stuck with one type of fuel.

In addition, I doubt that the pellets will work out cheaper, ESPECIALLY when you factor in free wood you get from garden, beach, roadside, whatever.

Oh yeah, remember the chimney will need sweeping. If you have a pitched roof, you don't want to be sweeping it down from the top, and in addition, even if you can, you need to be able to remove the debris thru the stove. That isn't always possible. If not, it is vital that you have a sweeping eye in the flue where you can reach down to clean out all the debris.

Personally, my professional advice is as follows. Never buy a stove that can't be swept from below, and only ever buy one that has a top exit. Rear exit stoves represent a monoxide risk.