Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost/process of registering a UK car in Spain

Cost/process of registering a UK car in Spain

Old May 7th 2009, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of
Default Cost/process of registering a UK car in Spain

Looking at the used car ads and the criminally high prices for used cars I am think of bringing mine down form the uk and registering it with Spanish plates. I have searched the forum and found lots of interesting advice but would like confirmation that the following is the process and the cost.

The car is a Ford Focus TDCI, 1.9, 2004 (June). Owned from new. I will not be resident in Spain but travel across 3 or 4 times a year for up to a month each time. As I understand it this is what I have to do:

1. Change headlight beam direction and rewire rear fog light to the other side.

2. Get certificate of conformity, take V5 and all UK documentation.

3. Drive to Spain.

4. Get Spanish insurance for car based on chassis no.

5. Get a tecnico to produce "Ficha Technica" to ensure car conforms with COC (HOW MUCH DOES THIS INSPECTION AND REPORT COST?)

6. Take Ficha Technica, UK V5, passport and NIE and book a test at local ITV station and obtain an ITV

7. Take V5 to town hall and get tax clearance document (cos no IVA or first reg due because I've owned the car over 6 months.) IS THIS CORRECT OR DO I GO ELSEWHERE FOR THIS?

8. Take everything to Trafico and fill in forms.

9. I gather the cost will be the value of the car multiplied by a factor according to CO2 emissions. (WHAT VALUE DO THEY USE? CURRENT SECOND HAND VALUE? OR VALUE WHEN NEW? HOW CAN I FIND OUT IN ADVANCE WHAT THE VALUE IS?)

10. Get spanish insurance based on car reg, not chassis as obtained in step 4.

11. Are the above steps correct?

12. Are the costing asssumptions correcct?

Many thanks.
Old May 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost/process of registering a UK car in Spain

We are just about to embark on this process ourselves with my 2003 Merc ML which we will be driving down, although we will be full time residents.

A couple of days ago I had my headlights changed at my local (UK) Merc dealer. They were somewhat cheaper than a third party garage in Nerja and the Merc dealer in Velez Malaga never did get back to me with a price. As a bonus I should be able to sell on the original lights on ebay and recoup some of the cost.

We had a chat with a gestor last time we were over and according to her the CoC is around 100 euros. Asked while my lights were being changed and the local Merc dealer hadn't heard of such a thing suggesting trying an MOT station or DVLA. I figure that I will go with the 100 euros as at least the engineer knows the Spanish system.

Insurance. Can you not extend your UK insurance to EU for your initial cover?. I have 90 days per trip and this will be sufficient until I win my Spanish plates. It cost me £60 to extend my insurance and breakdown cover to EU.
Old May 7th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

We did this with our Vectra about 3 years ago - i had owned it from new and we drove it down - swopped over the headlights and used the services of a gestoria - she organised everything else - all we needed to do was turn up at the ITV station at the allotted time and go to her office to collect the new plates.

Cost depends on car and its age - i think from memory it cost us about 400 - 500€, that included the plates, the ITV test and the Gestoria fee - we have used her a couple of times for different car related bits and she has done a good job every time - she is in Estepona
Old May 7th 2009, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tolly
We did this with our Vectra about 3 years ago - i had owned it from new and we drove it down - swopped over the headlights and used the services of a gestoria - she organised everything else - all we needed to do was turn up at the ITV station at the allotted time and go to her office to collect the new plates.

Cost depends on car and its age - i think from memory it cost us about 400 - 500€, that included the plates, the ITV test and the Gestoria fee - we have used her a couple of times for different car related bits and she has done a good job every time - she is in Estepona
That seems much more reasonable than i expected! How old was your vectra if you don't mind me asking?
Old May 7th 2009, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

Was an S reg - we converted it to Spanish plates in 2006. The first time we had its ITV it was valid for two years, and then the last time we did it, it was valid for 1 year - due to its age. Tax on it is also really cheap - this year it was 37.00€
Old May 7th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had the Technico inspection €161 + IVA, and it's not correct but the man has admitted such and says that as I have documents to prove the specification ( it's the tyres ) then I should be ok for the ITV next Thursday will see.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

I didn't know about car tax. How do i find out how much it is likely to be before buying the car?
Old May 8th 2009, 9:03 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
I didn't know about car tax. How do i find out how much it is likely to be before buying the car?
I thought you owned your 2004 Focus TDI from new?
I would not think it is worth the hassle of buying a car to take to spain and re-register, but if you do I suggest you buy a LHD there are many UK dealers if you do a search.
Old May 8th 2009, 9:45 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It differs at each townhall and now goes on emission as far as I know, my Frontera was less than 120€`s
Old May 8th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missile
I thought you owned your 2004 Focus TDI from new?
I would not think it is worth the hassle of buying a car to take to spain and re-register, but if you do I suggest you buy a LHD there are many UK dealers if you do a search.
OOps. A slip on the keyboard. It had crossed my mind to buy in Spain, but the high cost of second hand has put me off.

Also, we have 2 cars in the UK and we only need one. I have tried to flog the other (a 2002 Celica) but get no interest at price levels below which i may as well keep it, and run it into the ground.

So, maybe budget €120 a year for car tax?
Old May 8th 2009, 10:48 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

OOps. A slip on the keyboard. It had crossed my mind to buy in Spain, but the high cost of second hand has put me off.

Also, we have 2 cars in the UK and we only need one. I have tried to flog the other (a 2002 Celica) but get no interest at price levels below which i may as well keep it, and run it into the ground.

So, maybe budget €120 a year for car tax?
I would suggest you may still be better off buying in spain. I would suggest you could buy a 2004 Focus TDI for circa 2,000€ with a guarantee from a reputable dealer.

You might get circa £1,000 for your Focus as a private sale in the UK, add the cost of ferry, fuel and toll charges to re-register.

I pay 89€ per year SUMA for my A3 TDI
Old May 8th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missile
I would suggest you may still be better off buying in spain. I would suggest you could buy a 2004 Focus TDI for circa 2,000€ with a guarantee from a reputable dealer.

You might get circa £1,000 for your Focus as a private sale in the UK, add the cost of ferry, fuel and toll charges to re-register.

I pay 89€ per year SUMA for my A3 TDI
I can't find anything like a ford TDI 2004 for €2,000. An ex rentacar from malagacarhire 2005 Ford Ka is advertised at €5,000.

This is a genuine enquiry. If you do know of places in Malaga area selling 5 year old small hatch cars for €2,000 please, someone, let me know.
Old May 8th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Have a Ford Focus TDI (2004). Suma is €85, but each town hall set their own charge.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

downundervics is an unknown quantity at this point

(SNIP)
Hi, I am in San Fernando and need to change my british registered car to spanish plates can you contact me with an email or contact number, thanks

Last edited by Mitzyboy; May 25th 2009 at 7:32 am. Reason: quote removed
Old May 25th 2009, 7:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downundervics
(SNIP)
Hi, I am in San Fernando and need to change my british registered car to spanish plates can you contact me with an email or contact number, thanks
Its not possible for anyone to pm you at the moment I'm afraid as you are a newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.