Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of Private Brain Scan

Cost of Private Brain Scan

Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

harbour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of Private Brain Scan

Hi, Could anyone tell me the cost of a private brain scan in the Costa del Sol, has anyone had one and what was the experience like. Hope to hear from you. Kindest regards
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Private Brain Scan

Originally Posted by harbour
Hi, Could anyone tell me the cost of a private brain scan in the Costa del Sol, has anyone had one and what was the experience like. Hope to hear from you. Kindest regards
Yes Ive had one within the last 12 months, but not privately
In fact I have to go again for one next week.

I only remember the last one vaguely, but as far as I remember it was quick (a couple of minutes) and painless In the UK a full body scan by Lifescan can gost £7-800, so you have to assume it will be a lot cheaper here
Old Feb 26th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you mean a CT scan (called TAC in Spain) - takes a couple of minutes - the machine is like a big doughnut?

Or, do mean an MRI scan? This can take up to 1 or 1.5 hours. You go into a big machine like a tunnel.

I had the CT scan done privately and paid €800 including a consultation with the doctor afterwards. I recently had an MRI scan but that was under the health service so have no idea of the cost but I am sure it would be a lot more thans the €800.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi, and thank you for the replies. I am unsure which type of scan it is but it is to determine whether or not someone could be suffering from dementia - any more help would be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 6:14 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and thank you for the replies. I am unsure which type of scan it is but it is to determine whether or not someone could be suffering from dementia - any more help would be greatly appreciated. Kindest regards.
I'm guessing that would be an MRI scan
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Mama_Carol is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the person not qualify for Spanish free medical care (SIP card)? That would be a better/cheaper (ie free) way to have it done.

I don't know about where you live but here in Alicante there are not many MRI scanners. We have two big hospitals, one has 1 scanner, the other has 2.

I could not have it done at our nearest hospital and had to go to Alicante General hospital for mine.

If the person is claustraphobic or has a problem with loud noises speak to the doctor about having a sedative beforehand.

If you need any more information, let me know but bear in mind I have no medical qualifications just personal experiences.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:28 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes Ive had one within the last 12 months, but not privately
In fact I have to go again for one next week.

I only remember the last one vaguely, but as far as I remember it was quick (a couple of minutes) and painless In the UK a full body scan by Lifescan can gost £7-800, so you have to assume it will be a lot cheaper here
They found nothing, right?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
hmmm

that was the problem

mitz
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:52 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

During my 14 months in hospital I had 12 or 13,(no exaggeration), TAC scans and one MRI scan. The TAC scan poses no problem apart from the strange warm sensation from the drugs used. The MRI is extremely noisy even with the ear defenders that they give you to wear and you feel very enclosed. I would imagine that if you are of an anxious nature then an MRI could be uncomfortable.
Graham
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mama_Carol
Does the person not qualify for Spanish free medical care (SIP card)? That would be a better/cheaper (ie free) way to have it done.

I don't know about where you live but here in Alicante there are not many MRI scanners. We have two big hospitals, one has 1 scanner, the other has 2.

I could not have it done at our nearest hospital and had to go to Alicante General hospital for mine.

If the person is claustraphobic or has a problem with loud noises speak to the doctor about having a sedative beforehand.

If you need any more information, let me know but bear in mind I have no medical qualifications just personal experiences.
dementia?

is the person then elderly & in receipt of UK pension?

in that case they would certainly be entitled to free healthcare
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:24 am
Just Joined

There is actually an appointment booked for a free consultation, however, this is some months away and an earlier diagnosis would be preferable which is why I was asking the cost of private scans on the Costa del Sol. Thank you so much for your replies so far but if anyone can give me the cost I would be most appreciative. Kindest regards
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for your replies so far but if anyone can give me the cost I would be most appreciative. Kindest regards
Try asking at the Xanit hospital in Benalmadena

http://www.xanit.net/

[email protected]

952 367 190
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:42 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Jur