British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   The Cost Of Living In Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/cost-living-spain-807007/)

amideislas Sep 3rd 2013 1:39 pm

Re: The Cost Of Living In Spain

Yes, you can have highly enjoyable dining experiences prepared with fresh, high quality ingredients, but unfortunately, as CMan unwittingly points out, you're limited to the most expensive posh places to get it. And even those can be rather limited at times.

Having said that, at least you can eat cheaply, if that's what you fancy. And even some of the cheapest places can have great ambiance, even if the food is not particularly desirable.

I only wish you didn't have to spend a fortune to get a decent meal. It's one of the things I dearly miss about Germany, the UK, and dare I say, the US, where most any average Friday's, Outback, or Applebee's will deliver a very good meal that's comparable to what you get in an expensive, posh place here (with better service, too, at less than half the price). And the "posh" boutique restaurants over there are usually far beyond the best of the best here.

Low standards. It's normal here in everything, not just food, and simply what we can expect when living in Spain. That's why most food or other products in average restaurants (and supermarkets and shops) here offer quality far below what you'd expect in an average restaurant (or supermarket or other shops) in much of the rest of the civilised world.

cricketman Sep 3rd 2013 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 10883446)
Yes, you can have highly enjoyable dining experiences prepared with fresh, high quality ingredients, but unfortunately, as CMan unwittingly points out, you're limited to the most expensive posh places to get it. And even those can be rather limited at times.

Having said that, at least you can eat cheaply, if that's what you fancy. And even some of the cheapest places can have great ambiance, even if the food is not particularly desirable.

I only wish you didn't have to spend a fortune to get a decent meal. It's one of the things I dearly miss about Germany, the UK, and dare I say, the US, where most any average Friday's, Outback, or Applebee's will deliver a very good meal that's comparable to what you get in an expensive, posh place here (with better service, too, at less than half the price). And the "posh" boutique restaurants over there are usually far beyond the best of the best here.

Low standards. It's normal here in everything, not just food, and simply what we can expect when living in Spain. That's why most food or other products in average restaurants (and supermarkets and shops) here offer quality far below what you'd expect in an average restaurant (or supermarket or other shops) in much of the rest of the civilised world.

I've eaten at TGI Fridays a number of times. If that is what you call good food, then good for you :D

Bless

agoreira Sep 3rd 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 10883335)
Add in the rice, stock, pinch of whatever.

The pinch of whatever will be the Iraqi, Pakistani, Iranian saffron sweepings off the floor that the Spanish insist on rebranding as genuine Spanish azafrán. ;)

Neptuno Sep 3rd 2013 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 10883414)
Out of interest how much is a free range chicken from a local market?
Wild Sea Bass is about the same price here. Monkfish (if that's what you mean by 'rape' ) is quite a bit cheaper.

Fish prices are I think a bit more expensive than the UK. Probably due to demand and Spain's reliance on imports. It seems Spanish fisherman are well rewarded for their efforts.

Spit roast chicken from market van, dubious hygiene, 7.5 euros
Spit roast chicken from Tesco,in hygienic conditions, approx £3

cricketman Sep 3rd 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Neptuno (Post 10883461)

I would prefer a market van to anything that is sold in Tescos.

Anyway, this is stupid, you can find good and bad food in any country. If you haven't found great food in Spain then you are truely blind

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

amideislas Sep 3rd 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10883450)
I've eaten at TGI Fridays a number of times. If that is what you call good food, then good for you :D

Bless

Considering that you have historically expressed hate and exaggerated claims about anything that could even be remotely considered American ( or british, or any other nationality - as a matter of record)...

Then your predictable, consistently sanctimonious implications that everyone who may disagree with your ridiculous claims are somehow inferior to you (as a matter of record)...

Not to mention the horribly inaccurate descriptions of all the worldly places you claim to have been (consistently proven to be pure bollocks as a matter of record), I still question whether you've ever been to the US, or perhaps even outside of Oviedo for that matter. I occasionally find myself wondering if you're even British, since you often seem to know very little about the UK, too..

Considering those things, I believe your expert "opinions" represented as "facts" could use a rest...

stuboy Sep 3rd 2013 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10883442)
I've no idea what the names are in English. I rarely saw or ate fish when I ate in the UK.

We only eat Cantabrican fish, or if we are in the South then we try and eat the fish that is caught locally. It isnt hard to do, but sometimes you have to ask the right questions. And of course dont shop at the supermarkets, although Hipercor display the origin of their fish

A free range chicken is around 10 euros. The pitu calellas are a lot more but they are two or three times the size.

Many Brits of our age (I know you're a bit younger than me) did not eat a great deal of fish when we were younger. It's not much better now. Fish is like gardening, you discover it generally later in life.

Fish from the Cantabrian Sea is going to be superb, most of the species we like to eat thrive in deep, cold waters. Which is why the Scandinavian fishing waters are some of the best in the world.

Fresh fish in the South of Spain is far different due to the warm Mediterranean Sea. Go to the eastern Algarve and it improves dramatically.

Sadly the Cantabrian sea and all around the once bountiful Bay of Biscay has been overfished.

stuboy Sep 3rd 2013 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Neptuno (Post 10883461)

I know, I bought one yesterday, not very big but well cooked and juicy with a nice glaze/marinade on it.

Perfect, a good loaf of bread £1.80 a smidging of Anchor, a pile of ready washed pre-packed salad, a spoonful of Hellmans full fat Mayo.
Heaven on a plate.

stuboy Sep 3rd 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10883478)
I would prefer a market van to anything that is sold in Tescos.

Anyway, this is stupid, you can find good and bad food in any country. If you haven't found great food in Spain then you are truely blind

You can lead a horse to water, but.....

I'm not a big fan of Tescos either, but to rubbish everything they sell is a bit silly. When were you last in one?

stuboy Sep 3rd 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 10883481)
Considering that you have historically expressed hate and exaggerated claims about anything that could even be remotely considered American ( or british, or any other nationality - as a matter of record)...

Then your predictable, consistently sanctimonious implications that everyone who may disagree with your ridiculous claims are somehow inferior to you (as a matter of record)...

Not to mention the horribly inaccurate descriptions of all the worldly places you claim to have been (consistently proven to be pure bollocks as a matter of record), I still question whether you've ever been to the US, or perhaps even outside of Oviedo for that matter. I occasionally find myself wondering if you're even British, since you often seem to know very little about the UK, too..

Considering those things, I believe your expert "opinions" represented as "facts" could use a rest...

Will you please stop beating around the bush and say what you think;)

me me Sep 3rd 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 10883495)
I'm not a big fan of Tescos either, but to rubbish everything they sell is a bit silly. When were you last in one?

What do you expact from a man of extremes.

According to him Tesco is venom, crap and verbotten.

whereas a a few little Spanish crustations send him orgasmic:rofl:.:rofl::rofl:

Nowt wrong with tescos as far as I am concerned.

Neptuno Sep 3rd 2013 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by stuboy (Post 10883492)
I know, I bought one yesterday, not very big but well cooked and juicy with a nice glaze/marinade on it.

Perfect, a good loaf of bread £1.80 a smidging of Anchor, a pile of ready washed pre-packed salad, a spoonful of Hellmans full fat Mayo.
Heaven on a plate.

Who, in their right mind would pay 7.50e for a cooked chicken? Isn't food supposed to be cheaper in Spain? Anyway, the thought of the vendor handling them after going to the loo for a number 2, and not washing his hands(did you say nice glaze!) would be enough to put me off !

me me Sep 3rd 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Neptuno (Post 10883516)
Who, in their right mind would pay 7.50e for a cooked chicken? Isn't food supposed to be cheaper in Spain? Anyway, the thought of the vendor handling them after going to the loo for a number 2, and not washing his hands(did you say nice glaze!) would be enough to put me off !

:rofl::rofl:

amideislas Sep 3rd 2013 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by me me (Post 10883507)
What do you expact from a man of extremes.

According to him Tesco is venom, crap and verbotten.

whereas a a few little Spanish crustations send him orgasmic:rofl:.:rofl::rofl:

Nowt wrong with tescos as far as I am concerned.

You have it all wrong. The problem is that he's just far better than you.

Poor guy, he's the only one that knows it for sure... very lonely place to be. We should send him some love :heart: Maybe he'll grow out of it (I hope not, he's much more amusing the way he is).

Dick Dasterdly Sep 3rd 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10883478)

Anyway, this is stupid, you can find good and bad food in any country. If you haven't found great food in Spain then you are truely blind.

Problem is it's about as rare as hens teeth and consequently if you do find it, it's pretty well guaranteed to be arms and legs and way out of reach of the average Spaniard and average visitor.

I've spent a deal of time travelling extensively throughout Spain, the people the places, the culture and diversity all fascinating and enjoyable.

However in the process I've learned never to waste time and fuel searching for a decent restaurant in whatever district I happened to find myself for the night.

I soon discovered that the chances of finding such a place were pretty remote anyway and even the typical bland and drab Spanish fare was difficult to find in some places.

Ah well, can't have everything I suppose. :cool: