Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cornish Maid - Update!

Cornish Maid - Update!

Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cornish Maid - Update!

I have just received the following E-Mail from Sally and subsequently spoken to her, and She has asked me to copy and paste it onto here!
Tim

Right, where do I start? I suppose with the rented house. It was the worst accommodation possible. In the first week of being in there, we had a burst water pipe in the kitchen, which flooded the place, blockages in the pipes to the septic tank which continually smelt and almost daily spewed raw sewage onto the bathroom floor. The gas boiler in the kitchen wasn’t vented, and must have been years old. It only supplied lukewarm water and the kitchen filled with noxious fumes whenever the boiler was running. We stayed there for 6 weeks, four of which I spent mopping and disinfecting floors after clearing raw sewage. We all were desperate to get thehouse sale through and move to more comfortable accommodation, I can tell you!

Right, onto the house sale. The guy selling was the biggest liar, cheat I have ever met in my life. He and his wife couldn’t speak a sentence without there being a lie in it somewhere. Right up until a couple of days before completion, he played mind games with us. We were onto his games and managed to remain relatively sane throughout. Then the day before completion, he rang in the evening to say the deal was off....again, (...how many times we had heard that phrase). A 2 hour telephone conversation later we had placated him sufficiently to get him to agree to attend the Notary the following morning.

When we turned up, all seemed to be going ok, and then he and his wife started screaming and shouting at our legal representative. His wife said she was out of there, and promptly left the room! I began to doubt we were going to complete. Nearly 3 hours after our appointment time we finally completed. He told us he would call round the following day to start organising the building work for the casita for MIL. (The week before he had taken all of us to a supplier for MIL to choose all the tiles, kitchen and bathroom fitments for the casita. We already had our doubts as to whether he was going to be trustworthy enough to do it.)

When we got to the house, every window was open, and there was the most awful sell of sewage in every room. Each room had a plug in air freshener. Oh god thought I, here we go again, I’ve had 6 weeks of this already. The oven didn’t work, and the ADSL Broadband landline he had advertised as part of the sale, turns out to be a radio phone with no broadband facility. Our beautiful en-suite bathroom had no hot water connection to it, and it wasn’t till a few days had passed that we discovered that the toilet in there wasn’t even connected to the septic tank...whenever we flushed, it was pouring down the terraces onto our olive trees! That is only the tip of the iceberg to the lies he told us.

We have had a builder working for us for the last 2 ½ weeks putting things right for us, and he is due to start work on the casita for us. The seller never contacted us again, after he walked away with our money!

On to MIL. We organised appointments for her to see oncologists etc, and all seemed to be settling down. We knew that she had a limited time, but thought she appeared to be doing really well. Fantastic appetite, no pain etc. The oncologist requested another CAT scan, and last Friday Terry and I were told she has another tumour on her only kidney, and that they gave her 4-5 DAYS. We were devastated, but again decided not to tell mum. As I sit here, she is asleep in her bed, which we have moved into the lounge so that she could look out at the views. This is day 4. She is heavily drugged with morphine and now is in a little world of her own. So, we are playing a waiting game. Neither Terry or I have had much sleep, as we are taking it in shifts to sit with mum throughout the nights.

Certainly not the happiest of starts to our Spanish adventure. We seem to have had problems and heartache since arriving. We love where we are, the scenery is fantastic, the house is gradually getting put right, but dear old MIL will never get to move into her casita, and that cripples me emotionally.

I wish I could have written a long email about how wonderfully well everything is, but unfortunately I can’t at the moment. Don’t misunderstand, we don’t regret the move, we know we did the right thing, but just at the moment it is hard to see the end of this very dark tunnel, even though we know that we are almost there.

I will try to get back onto Expats occasionally, but at the moment we have taken out a mobile internet access contract with Movistar just so that we can do our online banking and check emails. I hope everyone is ok and look forward to catching up with you all sometime soon.

Take care

Sally
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:43 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cornish Maid - Update!

That's all very, very sad.

Please pass on my best wishes to Sally.

Thank you.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:45 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I have just received the following E-Mail from Sally and subsequently spoken to her, and She has asked me to copy and paste it onto here!
Tim

Right, where do I start? I suppose with the rented house. It was the worst accommodation possible. In the first week of being in there, we had a burst water pipe in the kitchen, which flooded the place, blockages in the pipes to the septic tank which continually smelt and almost daily spewed raw sewage onto the bathroom floor. The gas boiler in the kitchen wasn’t vented, and must have been years old. It only supplied lukewarm water and the kitchen filled with noxious fumes whenever the boiler was running. We stayed there for 6 weeks, four of which I spent mopping and disinfecting floors after clearing raw sewage. We all were desperate to get thehouse sale through and move to more comfortable accommodation, I can tell you!

Right, onto the house sale. The guy selling was the biggest liar, cheat I have ever met in my life. He and his wife couldn’t speak a sentence without there being a lie in it somewhere. Right up until a couple of days before completion, he played mind games with us. We were onto his games and managed to remain relatively sane throughout. Then the day before completion, he rang in the evening to say the deal was off....again, (...how many times we had heard that phrase). A 2 hour telephone conversation later we had placated him sufficiently to get him to agree to attend the Notary the following morning.

When we turned up, all seemed to be going ok, and then he and his wife started screaming and shouting at our legal representative. His wife said she was out of there, and promptly left the room! I began to doubt we were going to complete. Nearly 3 hours after our appointment time we finally completed. He told us he would call round the following day to start organising the building work for the casita for MIL. (The week before he had taken all of us to a supplier for MIL to choose all the tiles, kitchen and bathroom fitments for the casita. We already had our doubts as to whether he was going to be trustworthy enough to do it.)

When we got to the house, every window was open, and there was the most awful sell of sewage in every room. Each room had a plug in air freshener. Oh god thought I, here we go again, I’ve had 6 weeks of this already. The oven didn’t work, and the ADSL Broadband landline he had advertised as part of the sale, turns out to be a radio phone with no broadband facility. Our beautiful en-suite bathroom had no hot water connection to it, and it wasn’t till a few days had passed that we discovered that the toilet in there wasn’t even connected to the septic tank...whenever we flushed, it was pouring down the terraces onto our olive trees! That is only the tip of the iceberg to the lies he told us.

We have had a builder working for us for the last 2 ½ weeks putting things right for us, and he is due to start work on the casita for us. The seller never contacted us again, after he walked away with our money!

On to MIL. We organised appointments for her to see oncologists etc, and all seemed to be settling down. We knew that she had a limited time, but thought she appeared to be doing really well. Fantastic appetite, no pain etc. The oncologist requested another CAT scan, and last Friday Terry and I were told she has another tumour on her only kidney, and that they gave her 4-5 DAYS. We were devastated, but again decided not to tell mum. As I sit here, she is asleep in her bed, which we have moved into the lounge so that she could look out at the views. This is day 4. She is heavily drugged with morphine and now is in a little world of her own. So, we are playing a waiting game. Neither Terry or I have had much sleep, as we are taking it in shifts to sit with mum throughout the nights.

Certainly not the happiest of starts to our Spanish adventure. We seem to have had problems and heartache since arriving. We love where we are, the scenery is fantastic, the house is gradually getting put right, but dear old MIL will never get to move into her casita, and that cripples me emotionally.

I wish I could have written a long email about how wonderfully well everything is, but unfortunately I can’t at the moment. Don’t misunderstand, we don’t regret the move, we know we did the right thing, but just at the moment it is hard to see the end of this very dark tunnel, even though we know that we are almost there.

I will try to get back onto Expats occasionally, but at the moment we have taken out a mobile internet access contract with Movistar just so that we can do our online banking and check emails. I hope everyone is ok and look forward to catching up with you all sometime soon.

Take care

Sally

Thanks Tim for the update - thats really made me cry - gonna send her a message - if you speak to her again please pass on my love xxxxx
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:01 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh Sally, my heart is with you all.

Take Care xxxx
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Such things happening singularly are bad enough to contend with but this poor lady has had it all to bear all at once. I don`t know Sally but please let her know she is in my thoughts.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:06 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting the email Tim. I am typing this through tears. I feel so sad for Sally and her hubby and MIL. They just didn't need all this on top of that is already happening in their lives. I can only hope that MIL's last days are happy as she is now in the home they were so looking forward to moving into.

Please tell Sally I am thinking of her and sending lots of love
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much Tim for putting the up-date on for Sally. So sad that their lives have been turned upside down again. I would be very grateful if you could pass on my best regards to her. Although we have not met I feel that I know her very well as she was such a prolific and open poster prior to moving to Spain. For many years we only lived a few miles from each other and it is a shame that our paths never crossed.

Rosemary
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:55 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

So sad, please send her our love and support.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:58 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Thank you Tim for posting this e-mail from Sally, at the moment I am so upset and really can't type what I am feeling or want to say. My heart and prayers are with Sally and Terry at the moment and of course MIL, please when you speak with her again tell her we are all thinking of them and hopefully we will be able to contact her personally soon. Much love and hugs to you for sharing this with us.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:59 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, I know you probably wont see this for ages but La and I send you all our love and best wishes.

Take care and look after yourselves.

Thanks Tim for passing it on.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I will pass everyone's wishes on to Sally later in the week, I know She will appreciate all of your kind thoughts.
Tim
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I will pass everyone's wishes on to Sally later in the week, I know She will appreciate all of your kind thoughts.
Tim
There you go again being a narky, aggressive twat!

God!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
There you go again being a narky, aggressive twat!

God!
You are costing me a fortune in keyboards Matt
Tim
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:54 pm
Straw Man.

Tim
I can assure you I wont be drinking anything near my new computer.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:56 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Tim
Can you not rinse em under the tap then and dry em out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.