Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

copy/fax machine security threats

copy/fax machine security threats

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:02 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default copy/fax machine security threats

Never thought about this before!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_16...ag=mncol;lst;6

Last edited by Madridboy; Jun 3rd 2010 at 11:36 am. Reason: put the wrong link
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: copy/fax machine security threats

Originally Posted by Madridboy
do you mean this?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31727_16...ag=mncol;lst;6
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 10:42 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

yes
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 3:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Could be some interesting pics on them too.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 8:36 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so that's something I hadn't thought of. There's also a lot of images of people's backsides, I dare say......

My attitude to all that is that when getting rid of items that contain such storage, burn them, smash them and make damn sure that the data storage unit has been fried to a crisp.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 6:14 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Data remanence is an interesting issue, hard drives have been in copiers and laser printers for some time now and often they are a reasonable size (20GB) and will hold many thousands of copies/prints/scans.

With most "e-waste" heading to Africa or Asia at the end of its life via "pretend" recyclers, there is a massive data security exposure. It's not just your own equipment that's the problem, what about that photocopy someone made at the tax office of your paperwork - still sitting on their copier hard drive and do they manage their data security properly?

This page has some interesting links to other data-loss stories http://us.simsrecycling.com/key-issu...data-disasters
Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:48 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
do they manage their data security properly?
Ooohh, me, me please me, I know!!!

Given the vast amount of significant data (medical, financial, and so on) that seems to be sprinkled about like confetti at a hurricane's wedding by allegedly responsible agencies, I'd have to say the answer is NO.

It's kind of reassuring. We manage our data very responsibly, shredding and composting every scrap of paper that so much as has an address on it, never mind account details. I have worried a bit that one of the discs that the government etc lose on a regular basis, or the banks toss onto the waste heap without shredding might be containing my data.

Then again I think that since there are so many millions of people compromised by this, there is security in numbers, and the ripoff merchants will be a long time before they get around to my account.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Ooohh, me, me please me, I know!!!

Given the vast amount of significant data (medical, financial, and so on) that seems to be sprinkled about like confetti at a hurricane's wedding by allegedly responsible agencies, I'd have to say the answer is NO.

It's kind of reassuring. We manage our data very responsibly, shredding and composting every scrap of paper that so much as has an address on it, never mind account details. I have worried a bit that one of the discs that the government etc lose on a regular basis, or the banks toss onto the waste heap without shredding might be containing my data.

Then again I think that since there are so many millions of people compromised by this, there is security in numbers, and the ripoff merchants will be a long time before they get around to my account.

Or yours just could be top of the pile...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:47 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Or yours just could be top of the pile...
Yeah, but what's the odds?

Mind you, it is outrageous just how cavalier the powers that be are with our data.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:31 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, but what's the odds?
exactly the same as being at the bottom of the pile..
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:48 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
exactly the same as being at the bottom of the pile..
If the pile is big enough, anywhere in the middle is fine.....
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
If the pile is big enough, anywhere in the middle is fine.....
But you may get a gambling man that cuts the pack.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:44 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
But you may get a gambling man that cuts the pack.
I forget what the precise numbers are, but at the end of the day, you are very unlikely to be in the first and last 15%, and much more to be in the middle 70%. So, even in the event of a cut, I'm pretty well protected by the sheer weight of numbers, plus if someone does hack into my overdraft, he's more than welcome to it.