Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

cooking steaks on a stone

cooking steaks on a stone

Old May 17th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default cooking steaks on a stone

Here in Javea we have a wonderful ceramic outlet with just about everything you can think of. My Spanish is still in its infancy but the charming owner of the shop has introduced me to a 'stone' He says (I think) that one heats up the stone say over gas on the bbq quickly flip the steaks on the bbq to sear and then place on the stone.

Seemingly the guest then cooks the stone to their own requirement.

Has anyone heard of this please?

I have googled this and apparently it is now attracting interest in the UK in theme restaurants! For those of us of a certain age it is a long way from Berni Inns!
Old May 17th 2015, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cooking steaks on a stone

I should have course said 'cook the steak to their own requirements' and not stone!
Old May 17th 2015, 11:12 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
There's a couple of restaurants in Ayamonte where you can order a steak to be cooked on a stone. Granite can be heated in a microwave so there's an alternative for you

Davexf
Old May 17th 2015, 11:30 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We have been using our stone for over 30 years ,they are nothing new . In the Algarve it is a popular way of serving meat and shellfish.
The secret with steak or any large piece of meat is to cut it up into small pcs and cook them quickly to your taste.
Otherwise you can end up with a tough overcooked lump of flesh.
Cooking smaller pcs means that you can eat at your pace .
We have cooked beef,lamb,chicken ,pork, prawns ,scallops ,salmon etc
Marinading your smaller pcs of meat before hand and then basting your portion during cooking adds to the taste.
Chicken breast cut into slices marinated in yoghurt , lemon juice and a bit of spice is delicious as are prawns dripping in garlic butter.
We have a small bbq overwhich we heat the stone and sitting on the terrace at night eating at our own pace with a glass or two of chilled wine cannot be beaten.
You can even toast bread on them.

Last edited by EMR; May 17th 2015 at 11:32 am.
Old May 17th 2015, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porth
Here in Javea we have a wonderful ceramic outlet with just about everything you can think of. My Spanish is still in its infancy but the charming owner of the shop has introduced me to a 'stone' He says (I think) that one heats up the stone say over gas on the bbq quickly flip the steaks on the bbq to sear and then place on the stone.

Seemingly the guest then cooks the stone to their own requirement.

Has anyone heard of this please?

I have googled this and apparently it is now attracting interest in the UK in theme restaurants! For those of us of a certain age it is a long way from Berni Inns!
Hey Porth,

I want one. Which shop is it?
Old May 17th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi and good morning. Coming up the main dual carriageway pass Mercadona then Iceland on the right. As you have to bear left it is the big ceramic place on the corner.

If you go into the shop the desk is in front of you. Turn left and they are down the bottom. You know what you are looking for when you pick one up- very heavy but in the shape of a plate. They come in assorted sizes.

Thought import them into the UK! Like Del boy millionaires next year.

Let me know how you get on with them.
Old May 17th 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
We have been using our stone for over 30 years ,they are nothing new . In the Algarve it is a popular way of serving meat and shellfish.
The secret with steak or any large piece of meat is to cut it up into small pcs and cook them quickly to your taste.
Cooking smaller pcs means that you can eat at your pace .
We have cooked beef,lamb,chicken ,pork, prawns ,scallops ,salmon etc
Marinading your smaller pcs of meat before hand and then basting your portion during cooking adds to the taste.
Chicken breast cut into slices marinated in yoghurt , lemon juice and a bit of spice is delicious as are prawns dripping in garlic butter.
We have a small bbq overwhich we heat the stone and sitting on the terrace at night eating at our own pace with a glass or two of chilled wine cannot be beaten.
You can even toast bread on them.

I am sold on the idea. maybe its the thought of chilled white wine. Perhaps we should set up a blog.

thanks
Old May 17th 2015, 11:44 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

They have been on sale in the UK in various forms for decades ,alongside fondues they can be found gathering dust in many kitchen cupboards
Old May 17th 2015, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EMR
They have been on sale in the UK in various forms for decades ,alongside fondues they can be found gathering dust in many kitchen cupboards
I know the feeling.
Old May 17th 2015, 11:49 am
EMR
Banned

I am sold on the idea. maybe its the thought of chilled white wine. Perhaps we should set up a blog.

thanks
You need good quality steak with some fat on it,fat helps it cook and of course adds taste.
We dust ours with a chili and garlic salt.
Any marinade or rub you use for bbq cooking will work with a stone.
Lamb steaks with mint and yoghurt ,touch garummasala, mmm,
Old May 17th 2015, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and good morning. Coming up the main dual carriageway pass Mercadona then Iceland on the right. As you have to bear left it is the big ceramic place on the corner.

If you go into the shop the desk is in front of you. Turn left and they are down the bottom. You know what you are looking for when you pick one up- very heavy but in the shape of a plate. They come in assorted sizes.

Think you may have missed the boat, there! There are loads of grill stones restos , including a chain of them in the UK. The best one I ever went to was in Trondhiem
Old May 17th 2015, 11:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Cooking whole,steaks, could you use one of the 'BBQ grids' placing it on top of the stone to get the lines across the steak effect & without the meat or fish sticking to the stone - is this something folks use or do?

Round Cooking Grid 50 cm. for BBQ - The Barbecue Store Spain
Old May 18th 2015, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Think you may have missed the boat, there! There are loads of grill stones restos , including a chain of them in the UK. The best one I ever went to was in Trondhiem
back to the drawing board - Rodney
Old May 18th 2015, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not2old
Cooking whole,steaks, could you use one of the 'BBQ grids' placing it on top of the stone to get the lines across the steak effect & without the meat or fish sticking to the stone - is this something folks use or do?

Round Cooking Grid 50 cm. for BBQ - The Barbecue Store Spain
Strange we went to the BBQ shop in Moraira/Calpe and bought a bbq. Manufactured in Canada! did not know the Canadians were keen users of bbq's. It is called Broiler King. Also English and French instructions - thought that strange but of course Montreal and French speaking areas.
Old May 18th 2015, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, will check it out. It'll be a month though, due to circumstances beyond my control I am having to suffer the UK for the next 4 weeks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.