Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Conversation in Madrid

Conversation in Madrid

Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of
Default Conversation in Madrid

I don't know whether this is the place to put this thread, but my wife is interested in improving her English speaking skills and I was thinking in contacting someone to help her. We live in Madrid, Northwest area. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conversation in Madrid

Geographically I can't help but I've often wondered about the potential role of Skype in such requests.........
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Skype is also an option. Provided that her level of English is mid-low, visual contact is recommended. We have good broadband and webcam.
She offers conversation in Spanish in return. She can practice mornings, afternoons and weekends.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, this Spanish startup may be an option? http://www.linguic.com/
Or check for Madrid intercambios here http://www.madridinsider.com/?q=node/104 (you will have to check these, I recognise them from years ago, so some may be out-of-date)
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Steve, they're up an working. I've been practising conversation exchange for more than two years and never came across those resources when googling.

BTW I'm somehow baffled figuring out why no one in this forum seem to be interested in this activity (at least with me).

Can't think in anything more useful to learn and perfect a language than talking to native people who correct you.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:33 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Juansolo,

I like many others who have been here for years have attained the level of knowledge applicable to my life here and am now not seeking to increase my knowledge, simply to retain what I have. I have a weekly intercambio with a Spanish person, I regularily chat to my Spanish neighbours, I am forced to use Spanish every time I go into a bar, cafƩ, shop etc.

I perhaps should add that I had seven years of lessons, two grammar every week, face to face, one on one with a profesora, two pronounciation lessons and one conversation lesson, and yes every week.

My level of Spanish is what it is, and unless my lifestyle changes, will not increase and hopefully will not decrease.

Dave Fisher
Old Jan 17th 2012, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JuanSolo
Thank you Steve, they're up an working. I've been practising conversation exchange for more than two years and never came across those resources when googling.

BTW I'm somehow baffled figuring out why no one in this forum seem to be interested in this activity (at least with me).

Can't think in anything more useful to learn and perfect a language than talking to native people who correct you.
Well I'm interested, just struggling to fit anything extra, regularly, into my life at the moment. Besides it would have to be skype....Madrid even by Ave is rather too far for a chat!!
Old Jan 17th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you haven't had much response to your request, but it seems there are not many forum members living in Madrid.

I have done two intercambios with Spanish people who were interested in learning English, and found them very useful indeed for improving my Spanish conversational skills. In both cases, however (and I'm not boasting here, honestly!) my conversation partners said my Spanish was better than their English and it was too easy really to allow the Spanish part of the exchange to take over, to the detriment of English. Therefore, given your assessment of your wife's current level of English, I wouldn't volunteer even by Skype, although I do think face to face would be much better.

Sorry, I hope you find someone who can help. Are there any international schools around where you work/live? If so, it might be worth putting up a notice if they will allow you to, as some English speaking parents might be interested.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 1:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Juan, surely its the only way ?
it doesnt matter what country you live in, you need to be able to communicate (unless you are a Facebook junkie) and the only way at the end of the day is with the locals, in their language.

at this moment my brain is getting confused, over the years when visiting different countries I have learnt smatterings of various languages, from Manadarin to Japanese to Cantonese to Italian to French to Spanish.
the brain keeps bringing up words I barely remember learning - Miss Smith my French teacher at secondary school would be proud of the things I remember from over 40 years ago - just at the most inappropriate times

I must get myself into gear with my Spanish, I am fed up with the hectoring manner of teaching of Michel Thomas on my language CD's.
Problem is "into gear" is multi-faceted, as I have to learn to drive the wrong way round and it isnt helping my acrophobia, in fact making it worse.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino
Juan, surely its the only way ?
it doesnt matter what country you live in, you need to be able to communicate (unless you are a Facebook junkie) and the only way at the end of the day is with the locals, in their language.
I just said I can't think in a better approach to perfect a language than speaking in that language to native people who correct you when you make mistakes. Could it be we are saying the same thing with different words?

Regarding the conversation exchange thing, I am also open to conversation exchange, and to help with punctual advanced Spanish clarifications.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 9:32 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I just said I can't think in a better approach to perfect a language than speaking in that language to native people who correct you when you make mistakes. Could it be we are saying the same thing with different words?

Regarding the conversation exchange thing, I am also open to conversation exchange, and to help with punctual advanced Spanish clarifications.
surely as I read it the answer is YES, the only real way to learn is with real people in a real situation.
However its getting those people to correct you, help you - unlike the girl in the butchers yesterday evening. Got the impression my guiri accent was the most laughable thing she had heard all week. I have the right words, just not the accent.
Will keep plodding on and eventually will be able to respond to her in kind (I hope)
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I just said I can't think in a better approach to perfect a language than speaking in that language to native people who correct you when you make mistakes.
Agree 100%, even when I write in Spanish, I always add "las correcciones siempre son bienvenidas" in my sig. A propĆ³sito, it's "to think OF" I can see where you get the "in" from, pensar en.
Have you a skype user name, I haven't really got the time tbh, but we may be able to talk.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree 100%, even when I write in Spanish, I always add "las correcciones siempre son bienvenidas" in my sig. A propĆ³sito, it's "to think OF" I can see where you get the "in" from, pensar en.

Have you a skype user name, I haven't really got the time tbh, but we may be able to talk.
Thanks for the correction!

I have a Skype name, just send me a PM and I will be pleased to disclose it. It always comes in handy to count with native contacts even though you don't foresee to have regular conversations. It improves your chances to have someone at hand when you need a quick answer.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 3:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
surely as I read it the answer is YES, the only real way to learn is with real people in a real situation.
However its getting those people to correct you, help you - unlike the girl in the butchers yesterday evening. Got the impression my guiri accent was the most laughable thing she had heard all week. I have the right words, just not the accent.
Will keep plodding on and eventually will be able to respond to her in kind (I hope)
It is not se easy to correct people sometimes though, especially if they make loads of mistakes, there would be no conversation, and if you let it slip by and the try to correct it later, than sometimes people will say "why didnt you tell me before".

I have been though it in England.

I know a friend of a friend in Spain, and who only knows a couple of words in Spanish.

Finito = meaning finished and

no problemo = meaning no probs.

Kaput = meaning broken

Where to start.......
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
It is not se easy to correct people sometimes though, especially if they make loads of mistakes, there would be no conversation, and if you let it slip by and the try to correct it later, than sometimes people will say "why didnt you tell me before".

I have been though it in England.

I know a friend of a friend in Spain, and who only knows a couple of words in Spanish.

Finito = meaning finished and

no problemo = meaning no probs.

Kaput = meaning broken

Where to start.......
it is hard if people wont, cant, think they are getting by.
as I have said in other threads, over the years I have made a point of learning some basic words, such as Yes, Please, No, Thank You, ask for 2 beers for each country I have visited. Not much, but a little bit when you are only there for 5 days.

it is hard if like the BH you are out of the house for 12hrs, working every day in an English speaking environment, with only the bus journey and lunch time to learn or even hear any Spanish. Evenings too tired after dinner to do anything except go to sleep.

Every man is an island, sink or swim as you feel appropriate....
rgds