Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Continuing research in CB

Continuing research in CB

Old May 26th 2011, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Continuing research in CB

Hi everyone
Just an update after our 2nd foray into the Costa Blanca trying to find a suitable area to settle.
We stayed for two weeks at Albir Gardens in l'Albir (is it Albir, l'Albir, En Albir or Nucleo Albir as is quoted on some property websites?)
What a little gem of a town, ticked all our boxes. It seems to be an all year round town with an ecclectic mix of nationalities.
We toured around quite a bit visiting Denia, Javea, Parcent, Moraira, Pueblo Finestrat, Benissa, Oliva, El Campello, Jesus Pobre and Altea. Quite frankly we could see ourselves living in all but a few of the above.
The weather was kind to us with only a couple of cloudy days and a few hours of rain. I know the weather has been a bit iffy lately.
We did spend almost half our time relaxing by the pool and reading a few novels. We were also self catering and so decided to cook for ourselves for half the time and eat menu del dias for the rest. This was partly to save a bit of money and partly to sample Spanish food. We try to always cook from fresh these days to cut down on added fat, sugar and salt found in processed food. Anyway with a very primitive kitchen, only two electric rings with no numbers left visible on the dials and a small pan and casserole we did ok. Not having a basic stock cupboard the meals were basic but were tasty nourishing and economical.
Whenever I left our apartment I tried my best to speak only in Spanish and got on quite well, unless the natives were humouring me. I asked an assistant in the bread section of Mendoza where to find the tortillas and she sent me to the chilled section. After searching for a few minutes without finding them I suddenly twigged that she thought I meant potato tortillas. I went back and asked again pointing out that I wanted to make fajitas. She smiled and took me to the correct shelf, near the crisps.
One lunchtime I fancied trying the takeaway paella shop across the road. When it eventually came I was surprised that it came in a pizza box complete with pan, for a small deposit. After ordering the young lady told me it would take 20 minutes, that impressed me, I thought most of it would be precooked. This was my opportunity to try an extended conversation in Spanish. I did quite well after struggling a few times for the correct verb endings. The assistant was very patient and interested. I gathered that she could speak english but only in the context of serving. Anyway once I had got underway she spoke only the odd word in English. She told me that most of the punters never speak a word of Spanish and either speak in their own language or point.
I walked out of the shop feeling very pleased with myself and clutching a gift of some fruit that was on the counter after being given a lesson in how to peel and eat it. I think it was quince although I have never before seen or eaten one.
Later this year we are making out penultimate trip, flying into San Javier and staying for one week in Torrevieja and one week in Playa Flamenca. We hope to visit places like Lo Pagan, Rojales, Torre de Horadada, Pilar, Pinar de campoverde, Guardamar and the Mar Menor.
Old May 27th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Continuing research in CB

It was really good to meet you both over a nice lunch (that stretched untill 6pm) Ha ha ha.
Pizza ? how's the diet going then Steve ?
Old May 27th 2011, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
It was really good to meet you both over a nice lunch (that stretched untill 6pm) Ha ha ha.
Pizza ? how's the diet going then Steve ?
Ahh, an expats meetup eh?
Old May 27th 2011, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute

I know that Jill has pm'ed thanks to those BE members that met up with us during our recent visit but thanks again to Buster's Mum, Searcher48 & Lynnxa. Your time and input was gratefully received and most helpful as well as being fun to put faces and personalities to our posters.
I put on about 12 pounds during the fortnight but have lost more than half of that in the first week back. I would still like to think I can get rid of that last elusive stone and a half before the end of September, the end of my two year plan. 18 stones to 13 stones.
We had lots of fun, can't wait until we get to Spain permanently, only 71 weeks left with two more recces.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahh, an expats meetup eh?
I met them too
Old May 27th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I met them too
We should meet, i'm in Javea a lot, i work in Benitachell.
Old May 27th 2011, 10:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
We should meet, i'm in Javea a lot, i work in Benitachell.
we should - my work timetable has been stupid recently - but calms down a lot from next week - PM me
Old May 27th 2011, 11:38 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I met them too
So you started having ex pats meet ups without inviting us

Old May 27th 2011, 11:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevesainty
I know that Jill has pm'ed thanks to those BE members that met up with us during our recent visit but thanks again to Buster's Mum, Searcher48 & Lynnxa. Your time and input was gratefully received and most helpful as well as being fun to put faces and personalities to our posters.
I put on about 12 pounds during the fortnight but have lost more than half of that in the first week back. I would still like to think I can get rid of that last elusive stone and a half before the end of September, the end of my two year plan. 18 stones to 13 stones.
We had lots of fun, can't wait until we get to Spain permanently, only 71 weeks left with two more recces.
Of the places you have mentioned, I would suggest Albir as the nicest, we lived there, and in the Torrevieja/playa flamenca areas, and much prefered Albir.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Well there were no offers from 'us', we were in Oliva, twice.
The brit bar Magnums was not very friendly, nobody spoke to us apart from the barman.
Old May 27th 2011, 11:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So you started having ex pats meet ups without inviting us

must be the mod's hat that scared them

actually I only managed to fit in an hour between classes late one morning..............
Old May 27th 2011, 11:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

The brit bar Magnums was not very friendly, nobody spoke to us apart from the barman.
ooh you wouldn't find mitzy in a brit bar
Old May 27th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

ooh you wouldn't find mitzy in a brit bar
No, sitting outside one maybe !
Old May 27th 2011, 1:02 pm
Senior Moment

Magnums ... wonderful place ..... I've never been in there

You find you get a friendlier welcome in the Spanish bars, of whic there are many. Sometimes they look at you in shock, as a Brit actually has walked into a Spanish bar ... and if you don't ask for a pint of bitter then you'll probably do well
Old May 30th 2011, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I generallv am not a fan of expat bars and having been in Magnums once (free wifi) when we first purchased. I understand your comment fully.
Fortunately Oliva only has a couple of expat bars out of the many to choose from in the town.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.