Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:19 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
SugarSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Hiya,
My husband and myself are making plans for the future. We plan on moving out to Benidorm area in the next few years. I have a few aprehensions that i wondered if anyone could clear up.

Firstly What is schooling like out there, I have a 3 year old who is at bursery here, I plan on moving once she is full time but i just don't know how it works out there and also i want time to teach her spanish before starting in a spanish school, i presume none of the schools are english speaking?

My next worry is about Doctors/Hospitals - I know how it works when you go on holiday but how/what is the case when you live there? Do i need medical insurance. My daughter has a few medical problems so i need to know she'll get medical attention if needed. Myself and husband are both on longterm medication which we need monthly, how does that work?

And where is the best place to live where there is english ex pats so you don't feel as lost and at reasonable prices? I don't drive but i've heard its noth much on the bus to central places.

We are coming over late this year / early next year for a month long visit but want to rent an apartment not really a holiday let. Does anyone know of anything with a pool for a months rent.

Also Do you move all your stuff out with you cos i reckon that could get pretty expensive? I have a fair bit of stuff lol

In the time we are considering my husband is going to learn a trade as we have heard its good to have over there, is that correct? He wants to learn bricklaying, he is currently a labourer. We currently have no qualifications.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

x
SugarSweet is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:01 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,760
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

We will move this to the Spain forum for you so that you gain the answers that you require.

Times are hard here for the Spanish so it can be difficult for people to find work. Regarding schools, there are a lot of members with children of school age who will give you advice.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:12 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
SugarSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Thanks for the reply, I'm finding the site a little hard to get around but i'm sure i'll work it out in the end xx
SugarSweet is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:13 pm
  #4  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Hi
your child would be a good age to start in the Spanish school system (they start full time school age 6) & would pick up Spanish in no time - even without learning any before youcame - although now would be a good time to start learning colours/counting/nursery songs in Spanish

that was the good news........

the bad news is as you have just been told - unemployment in Spain is at over 20% - & those in the building trade have possibly been the hardest hit - the construction business is pretty much on its knees

the Spanish health system - through most of the country - if you don't pay into the system you can't use it - so that means either being self-employed & paying autónomo of +/-250€ every month or getting a job with a proper contract - or as you say take out private insurance

but who knows what will happen in a few years time.....

start learning Spanish now - make a few trips- see where you fancy living - & when the economy improves you'll be in a good position to move
lynnxa is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:38 pm
  #5  
Sue
BE Co-Founder
 
Sue's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,928
Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by SugarSweet
Thanks for the reply, I'm finding the site a little hard to get around but i'm sure i'll work it out in the end xx
Well if you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to give The Oddities, the Moderators, or myself a shout. Or you can post in Site Feedback anytime. We will be very happy to help you in any way we can.

Oh and welcome to BE
Sue is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:43 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,059
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by Sue
Well if you get stuck on anything please don't hesitate to give The Oddities, the Moderators, or myself a shout. Or you can post in Site Feedback anytime. We will be very happy to help you in any way we can.

Oh and welcome to BE
Albir and Altea are good areas, just out of Benidorm, near enough to visit regularly (10 mins or so) have a reasonable ex-pat community. Quite a number of the regulars on this forum live near there.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:44 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
SugarSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Hi
your child would be a good age to start in the Spanish school system (they start full time school age 6) & would pick up Spanish in no time - even without learning any before youcame - although now would be a good time to start learning colours/counting/nursery songs in Spanish

that was the good news........

the bad news is as you have just been told - unemployment in Spain is at over 20% - & those in the building trade have possibly been the hardest hit - the construction business is pretty much on its knees

the Spanish health system - through most of the country - if you don't pay into the system you can't use it - so that means either being self-employed & paying autónomo of +/-250€ every month or getting a job with a proper contract - or as you say take out private insurance

but who knows what will happen in a few years time.....

start learning Spanish now - make a few trips- see where you fancy living - & when the economy improves you'll be in a good position to move
That all sounds fine, Just a few things to clarify. If you get a spanish contract then you pay tax like over in england but if your cash in hand (does that happen out there?) then you are pretty much buggered unless you have your own insurance. EEEeeek thats worrying as my daughter gets bad asthma.

Also, sorry to be a pain but what sort of people are they needing for jobs? No contruction at all? We are willing to train to what is needed. There is no jobs anywhere :/
SugarSweet is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:46 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
SugarSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Albir and Altea are good areas, just out of Benidorm, near enough to visit regularly (10 mins or so) have a reasonable ex-pat community. Quite a number of the regulars on this forum live near there.
Are they near on a bus? I am contemplating learning to drive while i wait to move, Do i need a car over there. I really hate driving but will if i have to sorta thing. Is it as expensive over there to run a car as it is here. Thanks a lot for the advice.

You have so many questions to ask when you even consider anything so big with a child. If i was 18 and just wanted a bit of sun it would be so different lol
SugarSweet is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:50 pm
  #9  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,059
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by SugarSweet
Are they near on a bus? I am contemplating learning to drive while i wait to move, Do i need a car over there. I really hate driving but will if i have to sorta thing. Is it as expensive over there to run a car as it is here. Thanks a lot for the advice.

You have so many questions to ask when you even consider anything so big with a child. If i was 18 and just wanted a bit of sun it would be so different lol

Yes, there are busses every 20 minutes right into the centre of Benidorm.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:02 pm
  #10  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by SugarSweet
That all sounds fine, Just a few things to clarify. If you get a spanish contract then you pay tax like over in england but if your cash in hand (does that happen out there?) then you are pretty much buggered unless you have your own insurance. EEEeeek thats worrying as my daughter gets bad asthma.

Also, sorry to be a pain but what sort of people are they needing for jobs? No contruction at all? We are willing to train to what is needed. There is no jobs anywhere :/
if you mean cash in hand no questions asked wink wink under the table then yes......you're done for (& working illegally)

or register as self employed & pay the NI equivalent autónomo + tax like I said - then the family is covered

at the moment as I said, no-one is needing anyone much for any sort of job - over 20% unemployment nationwide - in Andalucía it's something like 30%+ unemployed - over 40% of 16-24 year olds unemployed

a lot of brits do get telesales work though, in areas like málaga - but it's commission only & not secure
lynnxa is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:06 pm
  #11  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: In the middle of 10million Olive Trees
Posts: 12,053
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by SugarSweet
That all sounds fine, Just a few things to clarify. If you get a spanish contract then you pay tax like over in england but if your cash in hand (does that happen out there?) then you are pretty much buggered unless you have your own insurance. EEEeeek thats worrying as my daughter gets bad asthma.

Also, sorry to be a pain but what sort of people are they needing for jobs? No contruction at all? We are willing to train to what is needed. There is no jobs anywhere :/
Spain has approx 20% unemployment rate. Andalucia has a 40% unemployment rate in the 20-40 age group.

Building workers have been the most hit as very few buildings going up, just a bit of maintenance work.
The Spanish generally only employ Spanish unless it is something really specialised so you would be restricting yourselves to the ex-pat community.

The sun and sea air sometimes as a good effect on asthma, but I am sure there are others who have better knowledge of that than I do.

Despite any Eu directives you may hear about Spanish forms are available in 3 languages - Spanish, Spanish and Spanish so learning the language is essential.

good luck
Domino is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:08 pm
  #12  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by Domino
Spain has approx 20% unemployment rate. Andalucia has a 40% unemployment rate in the 20-40 age group.

Building workers have been the most hit as very few buildings going up, just a bit of maintenance work.
The Spanish generally only employ Spanish unless it is something really specialised so you would be restricting yourselves to the ex-pat community.

The sun and sea air sometimes as a good effect on asthma, but I am sure there are others who have better knowledge of that than I do.

Despite any Eu directives you may hear about Spanish forms are available in 3 languages - Spanish, Spanish and Spanish so learning the language is essential.

good luck
you do get forms in 2 languages here.......castellano & valenciano!
lynnxa is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:15 pm
  #13  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: In the middle of 10million Olive Trees
Posts: 12,053
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you do get forms in 2 languages here.......castellano & valenciano!
one with the accent and the other without

Domino is offline  
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:47 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 228
adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have enough money to live without working then I would not recommend you think of moving to Spain with or without a trade, there is no work for the experienced workers and no benefit system to fall back on.

Also In the early part of the year, you would not want a pool unless it was a heated one, Benidorm can be cold wet and windy in winter, even on Sunday days, it would be a very brave person who went for a swim
adra04778 is offline  
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:41 am
  #15  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 9
SugarSweet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contemplating moving to Benidorm or Surrounding areas

Originally Posted by adra04778
I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but unless you have enough money to live without working then I would not recommend you think of moving to Spain with or without a trade, there is no work for the experienced workers and no benefit system to fall back on.

Also In the early part of the year, you would not want a pool unless it was a heated one, Benidorm can be cold wet and windy in winter, even on Sunday days, it would be a very brave person who went for a swim
In a few years things might be different though?! SO what would be something good to learn while we are waiting for the econamy to get better. Thanks
SugarSweet is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.