British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Contacting Sky from Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/contacting-sky-spain-662376/)

petew Apr 2nd 2010 3:50 pm

Contacting Sky from Spain

I did a forum search but couldn't find anything on this subject.
I need to contact Sky. Has anyone experience of contacting them from Spain? I have a Sky I.D. so I can contact them online but their enquiry form insists on a phone number and I am nervous about putting my spanish number!

shaggymon Apr 2nd 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Contacting Sky from Spain

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8468015)
I need to contact Sky. Has anyone experience of contacting them from Spain? I have a Sky I.D. so I can contact them online but their enquiry form insists on a phone number and I am nervous about putting my spanish number!

Phone them using a UK mobile and block your number so that it is not displayed at the other end.

jdr Apr 2nd 2010 4:09 pm

As above, we phoned 3 times a couple of weeks ago, as I put on the last Sky thread, we didn`t block our number though.

shaggymon Apr 2nd 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 8468061)
As above, we phoned 3 times a couple of weeks ago, as I put on the last Sky thread, we didn`t block our number though.

Blocking the number is a precaution recommended by a local installer. With some (or all?) networks if you are ringing from abroad your number will come up with the +44 prefix. If ringing from within the UK, there is apparently no prefix. If the Sky operator is on the ball, they could be alerted to the fact you are abroad and, while you might have a good reason to phone them re your UK installation while abroad, they might make things awkward i.e. suspect your Sky card is in Spain and cut you off. May be over cautious but not worth the risk...in my opinion. :)

Mitzyboy Apr 2nd 2010 5:29 pm

Or use skype

cuevalady Apr 2nd 2010 5:38 pm

Skype is a great way of 'phoning' anyone whilst remaining anonymous! :thumbup:

jdr Apr 2nd 2010 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8468209)
Or use skype

We tried with Voipcheap, but they wouldn`t allow the number to be connected.

petew Apr 2nd 2010 7:00 pm

For phoning the U.K. on our landline I normally use a Eurodirect card, which would give anonymity, but it won't connect to anything beginning 08, which it seems all Sky numbers begin with (the money grabbers....).

I think Skype is a good idea but will it connect to an 08... number? - I'll have to try it and see.

shaggymon Apr 2nd 2010 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8468209)
Or use skype

Skype will show up on Sky's telecom system as being from Spain if you show your number. Again, you can risk it but be prepared to be cut off.

Mitzyboy Apr 2nd 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8468398)
For phoning the U.K. on our landline I normally use a Eurodirect card, which would give anonymity, but it won't connect to anything beginning 08, which it seems all Sky numbers begin with (the money grabbers....).

I think Skype is a good idea but will it connect to an 08... number? - I'll have to try it and see.

Yes, it has for me

Originally Posted by shaggymon (Post 8468506)
Skype will show up on Sky's telecom system as being from Spain if you show your number. Again, you can risk it but be prepared to be cut off.

Ive called SKY with skype and no problems.
Ive been told by many people that skype doesnt show which country you are in .... maybe its right, maybe its wrong, but no one I ever called using skype said it showed I was calling from abroad

The Guy Apr 2nd 2010 9:37 pm

seached on "phone sky spain"
brought up a load of threads...but this is where it was most recently discussed.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1921736

jdr Apr 3rd 2010 6:36 am

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 8468653)
seached on "phone sky spain"
brought up a load of threads...but this is where it was most recently discussed.....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1921736

Problem with this site is you can`t do a search for someone else, it shows up blank.
:frown::frown:

The Guy Apr 3rd 2010 8:03 am

which is why i provided what i put into the search

(I just copied the wrong link!)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637913

scampicat Apr 3rd 2010 8:52 am

Originally Posted by petew (Post 8468398)

Go to a site called www.saynoto0870.com and you may be able to get a geographical number.

(It's not just for 0870 numbers, it covers 0845, 0800, anything that is not geographical).

I use it all the time rather than ring these (expensive from Spain) numbers.

petew Apr 3rd 2010 6:24 pm

Slightly off topic but I can't help but wonder how keen Sky actually are to cut off subscribers outside the U.K. They are well aware that they have thousands (must be 6 figures surely and not just in Spain) and are happy to take the money. They are not exactly proactive in trying to eliminate them. So we have this odd situation where Sky pretend to believe that all their subscribers are in the U.K. - haven't they ever looked at the ads in the C.B. News?