Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Construction Strike!!!

Construction Strike!!!

Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:07 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction Strike!!!

Does anyone know about the construction strike in Andalucia for the next two days? Apparently they are fighting for the summer working hours to be changed from 7am - 3pm. Two workers died with the heat at work last year and they are now striking to make it law on the summer working hours. Which I dont blame them one bit, but just trying to find out a bit more info.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all
Default Re: Construction Strike!!!

Hi sam,

I am in Andalucia, we keep in touch with the Spanish news every day "my wifes Spanish and the first thing she does each day is listen to the news" and have heard nothing of this, this is not to say what you have heard is wrong but I would have though our news would be reporting on this if it where the case. If I do hear anything I will let you know.

Hope this helps

Last edited by spaino; Jun 11th 2007 at 5:54 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by spaino
Hi sam,

I am in Andalucia, we keep in touch with the Spanish news every day "my wifes Spanish and the first thing she does each day is listen to the news" and have heard nothing of this, this is not to say what you have heard is wrong but I would have though our news would be reporting on this if it where the case. If I do hear anything I will let you know.

Hope this helps
Hi Spaino,

My husband is in partnership with a garden company, they lay patios etc. They have had to stop work for the next two days because of this strike. The heat is over- bearing in the summer and I can understand the reason behind it. My husbands company already work from 7am - 3pm and have done for the past month. Everyone in our local town are talking about it and no-one at all is working tomorrrow and Wednesday. I will try to google it and find out some more info.

Jdr, do you know anything about this?
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:58 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Have not heard about it, but we will find out tomorrow no doubt.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

spaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to allspaino is a name known to all

Are you sure this is not an internal thing with the company these construction workers are employed by? I really don't thing this is a general thing.

Construction workers here tend to work from 7 to 2 or 8 to 2 then do a couple of hours in the afternoon.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:14 pm

I have just been talking with my husband. He approached some of the Spanish contruction workers here today. They have told him it is very dangerous for anyone to work over the next two days. This is our second year in Spain and I didnt hear about it last year. I will let you know more tomorrow.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine works for a landscape gardener, and she is starting a 7am to 3pm work day due to the heat.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Abot this time last year there was a problem in the construction industry in Andalucia because they closed quarries where building materials where taken from, but there wasn't a strike, builders just couldn't get materials.

I just called my local construction yard to ask then about this but I never realised the time and they are closed.

The Spanish can be very dramatic at times, I am not saying you should just not listen to what they are saying but just play it by ear, have a lokk around tomorrow and see if you can spot any construction workers on sites, if you do then there should be no worries but to be honest there is no talk of this on the Spanish news.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm certainly on strike tomorrow
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough

There is a strike tomorrow, however it is not an obligatory strike. All of my workers have chosen to work tomorrow. We always start summer hours the second week of June.

There is an agreement between unions and employers regarding the summer hours but most sensible employers don't leave it till July to start the summer hours. After around 3.00pm this time of year it's so hot it's not safe to work out in the sun.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:55 am

Theres no work going on here today at all!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:57 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
Theres no work going on here today at all!!
none here either!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
none here either!!

I think I will have to support my husband and strike with him today
Old Jun 12th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam parky
Does anyone know about the construction strike in Andalucia for the next two days? Apparently they are fighting for the summer working hours to be changed from 7am - 3pm. Two workers died with the heat at work last year and they are now striking to make it law on the summer working hours. Which I dont blame them one bit, but just trying to find out a bit more info.
Hi Sam,
Here's something about it in the Jerez edition. Similar posts in the Cadiz & Algeciras editions.
http://www.publicacionesdelsur.net/d.../02diarios.htm
Hope it helps,
Regards,
Carol
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Hi Sam,
Here's something about it in the Jerez edition. Similar posts in the Cadiz & Algeciras editions.
http://www.publicacionesdelsur.net/d.../02diarios.htm
Hope it helps,
Regards,
Carol
Hi Carol,

Thanks for that link. Had a quick scan of it but will have to sit down later and study it more. I am having Spanish lessons but my Spanish isnt that good yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.