Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Considering Spanish residencia and finance questions

Considering Spanish residencia and finance questions

Old May 19th 2020, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

davethedog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering Spanish residencia and finance questions

Thanks all and been looking into the medical insurance and all seem about the same cost in reality.

Old May 19th 2020, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

You only need private insurance for a year, and then you can join the state health scheme under Convenio Especial if you aren't working or self-employed. Cheap at around 60 euro/month and covers pre-existing conditions but not prescriptions.
Old May 20th 2020, 7:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Joppa
You only need private insurance for a year, and then you can join the state health scheme under Convenio Especial if you aren't working or self-employed. Cheap at around 60 euro/month and covers pre-existing conditions but not prescriptions.
Is that per person? As the quotes we are getting for private med cover is about that per person.
Old May 20th 2020, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

It is per head, but since it covers pre-existing condition, which no private policy does, it's a very good deal.
Old May 21st 2020, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fwl01
Just to clarify-you have to fill in your Spanish Tax return with NET letting income and then 60% is deducted which is a useful tax break but may alter when we are no longer classed as E.U.residents. Then you also declare the income on U.K.self-assessment but can claim back the tax on your Spanish return . You will probably only have the rental income on your u.k. return and have your U.k. Personal allowance(s) to offset which if rental property is in joint names significantly reduces u..k. tax. We have done this for 3 years. We also have a commercial let and there are no reliefs on this, in fact we can't claim for some expenses e.g. travel which HMRC allow!
My main worry is that the 60 % relief on house rentals will not be allowed once we are not classed as E.U. citizens-the relief was not intended to apply to properties outside Spain but Hacienda was forced to treat all E.U. tax payers equally!
Regards,
William E.
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the 60% relief does currently apply to rentals outside of the EU (such as USA, Canada and Australia) . Can someone confirm?
Old May 21st 2020, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to bear in mind is that once you become Spanish resident should you decide to sell your UK home you will possibly be liable for an unbelievably huge bill for capital gains tax.

We briefly toyed with the idea of disposing of our uk house recently. We have owned the house since the early 90s and i guess it would sell for £475k or thereabouts. I would be expected to hand the Spanish government around 70,000 euros in cgt.

What strikes me as even more ridiculous is that if we give the house to our kids we are still liable for the same cgt bill.
Old May 21st 2020, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Yes, aware ot that and we would return to the UK at some stage anyway and denounce the Spanish residency before we even thought of selling the house!
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
What strikes me as even more ridiculous is that if we give the house to our kids we are still liable for the same cgt bill.
Something we have considered, I presume the cgt you refer to in that instance would be because you have been renting out the property ? My understanding is if it's your main residence (ours still is as wife currently living in it) then there is no cgt if gifted but 7 year rule applies re inheritance tax, or am I missing something? Sorry just re read your comment I thought you referred to UK cgt. I was told in Spain if we gifted UK house to UK resident kids that Spanish cgt wouldn't apply as it would fall under UK tax rules?

Last edited by Rosemary; May 22nd 2020 at 7:58 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old May 22nd 2020, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Something we have considered, I presume the cgt you refer to in that instance would be because you have been renting out the property ? My understanding is if it's your main residence (ours still is as wife currently living in it) then there is no cgt if gifted but 7 year rule applies re inheritance tax, or am I missing something? Sorry just re read your comment I thought you referred to UK cgt. I was told in Spain if we gifted UK house to UK resident kids that Spanish cgt wouldn't apply as it would fall under UK tax rules?
Not because we are renting it out, the income from which is declated annually on both UK and Spanish tax returns. It is because it isn't our primary residence and thetefore considred an asset. The UK cgt tax Iability would be considerably less, due to allowences and deductions and the fact that they calculate monetery gain from 2015. I did a quick calculation of the tax due in the UK and i reckon it would be around £6k. This would need to be paid to HM Gov, but would be offset against spanish tax due to tje dual taxation agreement.

Whole different ballgame if it is your primary residence.

Should add i didn't look into this in minute detail, just sufficient to decide that there was no way i was paying the spanish gov that ridiculous amount of money because i bought a house to live in 25 years before we moved to Spain . You can offset selling expenses, and there is a (small) allowence if the house was purchased before 31st December 1994. But you still end up with a huge bill.

The only obvious way is to move back into it for 6 months so it becomes primary residence again. But presumably you have to renounce spanish residency for the duration and who knows how tricky that will be to reinstate once the house is sold.

Can't even give it away🤣

Old May 22nd 2020, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Any part of your capital gains on UK house sale will be taken off your Spanish IHT bill if you invest in your principal residence in Spain within 2 years.
Old May 22nd 2020, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
Not because we are renting it out, the income from which is declated annually on both UK and Spanish tax returns. It is because it isn't our primary residence and thetefore considred an asset. The UK cgt tax Iability would be considerably less, due to allowences and deductions and the fact that they calculate monetery gain from 2015. I did a quick calculation of the tax due in the UK and i reckon it would be around £6k. This would need to be paid to HM Gov, but would be offset against spanish tax due to tje dual taxation agreement.

Whole different ballgame if it is your primary residence.

Should add i didn't look into this in minute detail, just sufficient to decide that there was no way i was paying the spanish gov that ridiculous amount of money because i bought a house to live in 25 years before we moved to Spain . You can offset selling expenses, and there is a (small) allowence if the house was purchased before 31st December 1994. But you still end up with a huge bill.

The only obvious way is to move back into it for 6 months so it becomes primary residence again. But presumably you have to renounce spanish residency for the duration and who knows how tricky that will be to reinstate once the house is sold.

Can't even give it away🤣
Cheers yes thats my understanding also but in our case as my wife is currently living in it then until she can retire it is a primary residence. Of course not sure how that works with me being here and resident to ensure our rights under brexit. Nothing is easy.
Old May 22nd 2020, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Joppa
Any part of your capital gains on UK house sale will be taken off your Spanish IHT bill if you invest in your principal residence in Spain within 2 years.

Not planning to spend that amount of money on our current principal residence as there's bothing that I need to build onto it.. However I wonder if I could say purchase an apartment on the coast and offset my CGT against that, assuming that we lived in it for more than half a year and it becomes my principal residence...

We have found new tenants and they go in early June so panic over for now. Status quo has be restored.. :-)
Old May 27th 2020, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m2m2012
I could be wrong but my understanding is that the 60% relief does currently apply to rentals outside of the EU (such as USA, Canada and Australia) . Can someone confirm?
Just done my Renta. When asking for location of property the only options you are offered are España, Navarra, Pais Vasco or En el extranjero. Which would indicate that relief applies to every country.