Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

confused about changeing my driving licence

confused about changeing my driving licence

Old Feb 20th 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default confused about changeing my driving licence

I would like some advice on changing my UK driving licence for a Spanish one.I am over 70 years old and I have heard that I have to have an eye test but also that I have to take some sort of computerised exam , as I am not very computer literate and my Spanish is very bad so this is a little bit worrying, can anybody let me know what this involves?Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 2:33 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: confused about changeing my driving licence

Originally Posted by Manclass
I would like some advice on changing my UK driving licence for a Spanish one.I am over 70 years old and I have heard that I have to have an eye test but also that I have to take some sort of computerised exam , as I am not very computer literate and my Spanish is very bad so this is a little bit worrying, can anybody let me know what this involves?Thank you in advance.
Don't panic, it's really straight forward.

Certain offices (you need to locate your nearest one) are licenced to carry out these medicals, and ISTR, can also exchange your licence for you as well.

Yes, you have to take a very simple eye test and answer a few medical questions. You then have to take a test to show your motor skills (hand eye coordination). For us it was as simple as playing a computer game where we had to keep the car between two white lines using two handles - really easy!

Once passed, they take your old licence, give you a temporary document to use until your new licence arrives in the post. And that's it.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Snikpoh.
Will really have to do this but keep putting it off....
Old Feb 20th 2016, 3:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put it off too long. If your UK licence expires, you will find it difficult to exchange it.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that I should change my UK licence for a Spanish licence, but later this year I'm going to USA for a holiday and need to hire a car there. So do you think that there will be a problem with a Spanish driving licence and a UK passport? Anybody had experience of car hire with licence and passport from different countries? (outside the EU)
Old Feb 27th 2016, 1:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkyinspain
I know that I should change my UK licence for a Spanish licence, but later this year I'm going to USA for a holiday and need to hire a car there. So do you think that there will be a problem with a Spanish driving licence and a UK passport? Anybody had experience of car hire with licence and passport from different countries? (outside the EU)
You really don't have to unless it is about to expire.

There is absolutely no problem at all with a Spanish licence and a UK passport.
Old Feb 27th 2016, 4:57 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I've hired cars in Canada with my Spanish licence - I'm nearly 70 but not quite LOL

Davexf
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

sparkyinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks for the advice
Old Mar 1st 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Foreign Driver Fined for Failing to Exchange Licence | N332 - Driving In Spain

The above link from N332 (DGT & GC) gives the latest news on exchanging licences.

It also has a story to refute some erroneous advice being given in some places that any EU licence is valid across the whole of the EU - ie that someone has been fined for failing to exchange.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 1:06 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Foreign Driver Fined for Failing to Exchange Licence | N332 - Driving In Spain

The above link from N332 (DGT & GC) gives the latest news on exchanging licences.

It also has a story to refute some erroneous advice being given in some places that any EU licence is valid across the whole of the EU - ie that someone has been fined for failing to exchange.
... as I said previously, NOT ALL UK (EU) licences have to be changed.
Old Mar 1st 2016, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... as I said previously, NOT ALL UK (EU) licences have to be changed.
Correct. UK licences are now issued for 10 years and so do not fall into the first category except if you have the old paper licence and are younger than 55yo - the photocard licences started in 1998

Last edited by MikeJ; Mar 1st 2016 at 4:47 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

One point on the N332 link confused me. It referred to UK licences which have an indefinite expiry date. I thought all UK licences had a form of expiry date. Firstly there is an expiry date in relation to the photograph as opposed to the licence itself and secondly when the holder reaches 70 years of age when application must me made to renew it.
I thought these were forms of "expiry"' but am I incorrect in this assumption?
Thanks.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:52 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Expiry date on UK paper license is the holders 70th Birthday. For your info > https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence
Details of the rules applicable to UK license are here > https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences
It seems this Swedish(?) driver was issued a license without an expiry date? This should not happen with driving license issued in UK/Spain. However it is not unknown for DVLA to make a mistake and I would suggest drivers should verify the details on their licenses.

Last edited by missile; Mar 4th 2016 at 10:07 am.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by missile
Expiry date on UK paper license is the holders 70th Birthday. For your info > https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence
Details of the rules applicable to UK license are here > https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/driving-licences
Thanks, but in addition to the expiry of the licence the photograph also has an expiry date separate from that of the licence.
That's why I am confused about the N332 site stating UK licences with no expiry date. They do surely?
Old Mar 4th 2016, 10:47 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks, but in addition to the expiry of the licence the photograph also has an expiry date separate from that of the licence.
That's why I am confused about the N332 site stating UK licences with no expiry date. They do surely?
What I think they mean is that some of your categories may not have an expiry date - even though something else may expire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.