Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Computer Tecchie

Computer Tecchie

Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Default Computer Tecchie

Anyone out there know of a reliable computer tecchie person who does not charge the earth ??

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

CharlieBangor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Computer Tecchie

What do u need doing?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by CharlieBangor
What do u need doing?
For some reason my laptop takes an age to open.
Have scandisked, defragged, checked for viruses etc etc.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

CharlieBangor is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be numerous things. How old is the laptop?
Old Nov 4th 2006, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlieBangor
It could be numerous things. How old is the laptop?
Approx 18 months Hp NX8220 running xp professional genuine copy pre loaded on laptop.

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
Approx 18 months Hp NX8220 running xp professional genuine copy pre loaded on laptop.

Thanks
Have u tried running Spybot? can usually improve things??

Also where r u, there are two boffs about that I know of.

One In Onil Near Castalla, and One in La Romana, so if it is near either I can let u have their numbers.

Try an email to this one, [email protected]

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Nov 4th 2006 at 5:04 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

The Hp NX8220 (and some other HP laptops) are known for being notoriously slow at starting up...I know because I had one too. I ended up getting rid of it as it did my head in.

One of things I did which helped a little was to remove ALL unnecessary processes that were running in the background and that are loaded on startup. Run MSCONFIG to check out what's running.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Have u tried running Spybot? can usually improve things??

Also where r u, there are two boffs about that I know of.

One In Onil Near Castalla, and One in La Romana, so if it is near either I can let u have their numbers.

Try an email to this one, [email protected]

Have run spybot but just same. I live in Cadiz so quite a way off I think!! Will contact above many thanks.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaldridge
The Hp NX8220 (and some other HP laptops) are known for being notoriously slow at starting up...I know because I had one too. I ended up getting rid of it as it did my head in.

One of things I did which helped a little was to remove ALL unnecessary processes that were running in the background and that are loaded on startup. Run MSCONFIG to check out what's running.
Thanks for the reply.
It used to boot up in less than 2 minutes! What happens is it opens quickly up to the point of hearing the microsoft signature tune then goes to the blue screen of death. It then takes at least 5 minutes to open properly and all this time you can see the hard disc indicator light flashing.

Have tried misconfig as you suggest and removed everything on start up then booted up again but no different.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

This happened to me and in the end I had no option but to wipe and rebuild the thing - so annoying!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dazzle
This happened to me and in the end I had no option but to wipe and rebuild the thing - so annoying!!
This is what I am afraid of that it will let me down completly in the near future.
Is this what happened to you?

I was wondering if you tried a system restore to a earlier date :scared:
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
This is what I am afraid of that it will let me down completly in the near future.
Is this what happened to you?

I was wondering if you tried a system restore to a earlier date :scared:
We had tried unsuccessfully to install some new software for an MP3 player. A computer boff spent hours trying to clean up the HD without wiping it but in the end it just wasn't possible.

We could have saved alot of time and money if we hadn't tried to go for the short cut.

I think he said at the time that we'd probably picked up some virus (remember here, I'm not very IT literate) and although the anti virus etc software would have removed it, the damage was probably left behind.

We didn't lose anything that we wanted to keep in the process and the machine was like new once we had it up and running. It was just the inconvenience of it all.

Someone told me that you should plan to wipe and rebuild regularly for best performance. Ok if you know what you're doing eh?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 4:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you have problems you should always post in the LAB forum.
There are lots of teckie guys from all over the world on there that can give you good advice.
I moved one of patsywhitehairs posts into there and it was sorted quite quickly.
I did not move yours because you asked if anyone new of a cheap teckie, although apparently it is a similar problem now to patsy`s.