Computer

Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Computer

HELP PLEASE.

I have just received a PDF file from my bank and when I open it there are lots of squares and silly symbols. I went into an old document in my computer that I know I opened and printed several months ago that was also PDF and this has become the same.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Computer

Originally Posted by The Oddities
HELP PLEASE.

I have just received a PDF file from my bank and when I open it there are lots of squares and silly symbols. I went into an old document in my computer that I know I opened and printed several months ago that was also PDF and this has become the same.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!

Rosemary
Download Foxit reader HERE then you will be able to open it properly.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

HELP PLEASE.

WHAT DO I DO!!!!!!

Rosemary
If they ain't corrupt then I'm guessing it may be something to do with the language and 'character set' settings in Acrobat Reader.

Might be worth posting this in "The Lab" forum for some REAL geeks to have a go at ... I'm guessing that it's sensitive information and it isn't possible to attach the file in a post here ...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:13 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

As an IT Professional, let me on this case:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Have you rebooted?
Is it plugged in?
Can you check all your connections?
Have you re-installed windows?

Nah just kidding. First thing id do is grab the latest adobe acrobat reader. Though its worrying that the other documents have gone funny too. Grab latest adobe reader.. or foxit pro, i assume thats an alternative viewer of PDF files. If still not working let us know.

/me should hang out in the lab.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Download Foxit reader HERE then you will be able to open it properly.
IT WORKED

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help and the speed at which you responded. I was panicing big time.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
As an IT Professional, let me on this case:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Have you rebooted?
Is it plugged in?
Can you check all your connections?
Have you re-installed windows?

Nah just kidding. First thing id do is grab the latest adobe acrobat reader. Though its worrying that the other documents have gone funny too. Grab latest adobe reader.. or foxit pro, i assume thats an alternative viewer of PDF files. If still not working let us know.

/me should hang out in the lab.
I already had acrobat reader and it was not working. JDR sent me a link for Foxit and this worked.

Thanks for your help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

IT WORKED

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help and the speed at which you responded. I was panicing big time.

Rosemary
No problem, Foxit is a much much smaller program and faster loading than Adobe reader.
Have a look in add and remove programs, the difference is amazing.
I used to use Adobe but got shot of it when i discovered Foxit.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
No problem, Foxit is a much much smaller program and faster loading than Adobe reader.
Have a look in add and remove programs, the difference is amazing.
I used to use Adobe but got shot of it when i discovered Foxit.
Thanks. I would not have thought about removing the old Adobe if you had not mentioned it. Still loads to learn so will probably pester everyone regularly.

Rosemary
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:15 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah sometimes the 'run of the mill' programs that everyone uses arent always the best. Its the old internet explorer and firefox debate. Firefox is quicker on my machine than Internet Explorer, is smaller and less bugged.

Just because everyone elses uses it doesnt mean its the best thing.

Ill have to have a look at foxit myself.

If you ever need Real Player then get Real Alternative. its a plug in, and also Windows Media Player Classic is great as well. Far less bulky than the actuals.