Competa!

Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Ollielmt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Competa!

Hi Everyone

Does anyone on here live in Competa/Torrox area? I'm coming over in October this year for 6 months and I can't decide whether to stay in Torrox or Competa and was looking for some info from anyone who lives in these areas. I'm going to be on my own so was wondering how easy it is to meet people and if its easy to get long term rentals in this area.

My two little cairn terriers are coming with me!!!! Do you know if dogs are allowed on the beaches during the winter months?

Are there any clubs you can join where you can meet people? And do you think there would be any chance of getting voluntary work in the community?

I'm keen to learn Spanish and mix with the locals but would also like to meet up with some expats for a bit of support, especially coming over on my own.

Any advice/help would be appreciated!!

So many questions .........!!

Lesx
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Competa!

Not actually living in either location but having visited both I would choose Torrox, Competa , well on the way up is a bit of a house martin area, with most houses clinging on to the hillside, lovely houses dont get me wrong and Competa itself is a lovely village. I think Torrox would be more suitable, and you can explore easier from there.
Just my opinion thats all.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:23 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Competa!

Hi Olliemt,
I have a home in Competa, andof course I would be rather biased to tell you which one I prefer. have you ever visited either of those places or even the area before, if not why have you chosen those two? Just being nosey. It is always nice to hear peoples views on places but at the end of the day you have to decide and the decision has to be based on your opinions and how you feel in a place. We chose Competa because of many factors but one that stood out was the feeling we got sitting in the plaza I know that sounds silly but it just felt right, and just how welcoming the place was, we haven't looked back since. I could waffle forever but I won't. There are always ways of meeting people if you put yourself out, lots of art, drama, etc in and around the village, not sure about voluntary work, and know that dogs are not allowed on the beaches, I don't think it changes for the winter but don't know for sure. There seem to be plenty of rental property about anywhere, what sort are you looking for, I maybe able to put you ntouch with contacts.
I wish you well in whatever area you choose, but could you not come and look around before October, always best to dip your toe inthe water first!!
Luv Eve
x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thank you both for the information. Eve - I have only been researching online and have looked at Frigiliana and Torrox Pueblo and Competa and they all look lovely. I have decided I would like to semi retire to Spain spending the winters there and the summers working here in Edinburgh. I liked the look of the Axarquia area but instead of buying straight away thought it would be better to come over for six months, see if I like the area, research properties etc and learn to speak Spanish. Eve, your advice has made me think ......... perhaps what I would be better doing is to come over and rent somewhere initially for 2 weeks and explore both Torrox and Competa before committing myself to somewhere for the six months and then deciding i've made a mistake. Any contacts you may have for either a cheapish 2 week rental or for the 6 months would be greatly appreciated!!! I like the idea of Competa being near the National Park (for dogs - and me!!!) and I love horse riding and belive there is a school nearby. Torrox is appealing because its more accessible for the beaches and the other towns and I also want to take a course scuba diving which I believe is in Nerja.

Will you be in Competa in October at any time? If so, it would be lovely to meet you. I've read a few of your threads and you seem a really nice, outgoing, friendly person.

I'm so looking forward to it, but its scary too, being on my own but I know if I don't make the move now, I probably never will.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Cheerio from Auld Reekie!!

Lesxx
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ollielmt,

Welcome to BE forum, you are in exactly the right place.

If you say you like the Axarquia and the national park I would say Competa would be slightly better than Torrox for exploring that area as the village is higher up the mountain and would give you quicker access into the park, not saying Torrox is not, it is just about another 25 minutes drive and it is a lovely village.
There are a string of great little villages along the ridge all within easy driving distances of Competa, Canillas de albaida ( horse riding, thai restaurant, tapas, restaurants, a few brits), Salares Lovely, old church/mosque, couple bars, couple shops, Sedella, A few bars and restaurants and shops, very pretty,Vulture sanctuary, but rare sightings, guided walks, village swimming pool, small hotel( more like rooms) A few brits and other nationalities, Rahige gorge, absolutely beautiful, Eagles, Ibex ,BBQ areas , Canillas de Acietuno, small town, mix of nationalities great feel to the place, shops, restaurants, village pool easier access to Mount Maroma, the highest ridge on the Axarquia and dominates the whole area, it is walkable, about 4 hrs I believe if you are fit, The area is abundant with Oranges, lemons,Avocado, Olives, Pomegranite, Artichoke and most other veg.
It is cooler up in the mountains and can get very cold out of the sun in the Autumn/winter months....but it is a fabulous area, the local folk are very friendly and welcoming but learn Spanish !
Eve is right about getting a taster visit as the area is quite diverse( she is after all the Queen of Competa !), if you are based in Competa you are not really very far from anywhere although you feel you are a million miles away from big city life, Malaga airport, 1 1/2 hours, Granada 1 1/2 hours, Seville 2+ hours, Cordoba 2+ hours, Nerja 45 mins max, Velez Malaga 30 mins, Torre del Marre 40 mins, Lake Vinuella 35 mins, Friglliana 45 mins, Marbella 2hrs,Gibralter 2hr 45 ( don't hold me to these times, they do call me El rapido !!). As Eve says there always appears to be plenty of rentals available, but you would be best to come and have a look, there are plenty of agents in Competa and plenty of boards put up on owners houses with contact numbers, there are also numerous B&Bs in Competa and a small 3 star hotel..one thing though, Scots are banned from the Axarquia after that little scandal the other year....Only joking...Have fun, you won't regret it.
BB.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Bigbhudda

Brilliant info - thanks for that, you make it sound absolutely wonderful. Yes, I'm now convinced the best way would be to rent for the first couple of weeks and do some exploring, as long as there are plenty of long term rentals to choose from then that would be the best plan. I'm driving over from Scotland with the dogs (a bloody long way!!!) so I won't have to worry about hiring a car etc, although I believe the driving over there is a bit hairy to say the least!

Oooooo - a scandalous Scot!! tell me more. I'm pretty well behaved (most of the time!) so I will try and not let my wonderful nation down when I come over! Oh! and compared to the Scottish winters, I'm sure I'll find Competa etc. positively balmy!!

Thanks again!

Lesxx
Old Apr 25th 2008, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ollielmt
Bigbhudda

Brilliant info - thanks for that, you make it sound absolutely wonderful. Yes, I'm now convinced the best way would be to rent for the first couple of weeks and do some exploring, as long as there are plenty of long term rentals to choose from then that would be the best plan. I'm driving over from Scotland with the dogs (a bloody long way!!!) so I won't have to worry about hiring a car etc, although I believe the driving over there is a bit hairy to say the least!

Oooooo - a scandalous Scot!! tell me more. I'm pretty well behaved (most of the time!) so I will try and not let my wonderful nation down when I come over! Oh! and compared to the Scottish winters, I'm sure I'll find Competa etc. positively balmy!!

Thanks again

Lesxx
Your welcome, I am sure if you read through the posts most people on here will give you similar accounts of the area's they live in, Spain is a beautiful country, it gets under your skin and grabs you by the heart...but it's not paradise, I have read some real horror stories on here and there are plenty of people about who will tell you whatever you want to hear, so do plenty of research and trust no one, find a good lawyer, certainly not one that is recommended by your estate agent..essentially, take care.

Yes the roads up here are pretty hairy, plenty of 500mtr drops, hairpin bends with bloody great lorries coming at you with only room for a pushbike to get through, but not as bad as driving down Sockihall street on a Saturday night..

That scandal, well you know that thing that Scot's do with haggis under their Kilts, well there was 3 goats and....oh sorry we are on the Spain forum cant tell you.... you will be suprised after a few months of being in Spain the cold weather will feel very cold...just ask SD.

Enjoy your drive, what a great adventure, the dogs will love Spain, just watch out for the caterpillars in Spring harmful to dogs apparently, learn't all this on BE..it's a goldmine waiting to be hijacked ???

Good luck.
BB.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks BB. I am really looking forward to coming over and yes, it will be an adventure ............

Blimey, haggis under kilts and goats!!! Well, at least you can't call us boring .......!!!!

Where do you live BB? Are you in Axarquia area? Do you live in Spain permanently? I'm now a bit nervous re the roads?!? But I suppose you get used to that eh?

Yes, I have read a few horror stories too on this site, I suspect you need to come over with a realistic attitude and not expect everything is going to be rosy all the way.

Lesxx
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ollielmt
Thanks BB. I am really looking forward to coming over and yes, it will be an adventure ............

Blimey, haggis under kilts and goats!!! Well, at least you can't call us boring .......!!!!

Where do you live BB? Are you in Axarquia area? Do you live in Spain permanently? I'm now a bit nervous re the roads?!? But I suppose you get used to that eh?

Yes, I have read a few horror stories too on this site, I suspect you need to come over with a realistic attitude and not expect everything is going to be rosy all the way.

Lesxx
Hi again Ollielmt,

I live in SE England but have just built a house in the Axarquia not far from Competa, Eve is a neighbour, there are quite a few forum members around the area who come on occasionaly.
Don't get too stressed about the roads in the mountains, they have not long ago resurfaced and widened the stretch from Velez up to Sedella and it is not bad from Sedella to Competa and on to the coast.
There are mainly all new crash barriers on the drop side and the local people generally drive quite carefully...for Spain! just be careful on blind bends, it is very bendy, so bendy it is like a bendy thing, people have a habit of coming round on the wrong side, you will soon get used to it, it becomes good fun.

There is a very good agent in Competa Called Clara HERE just off the main car park, very helpful, worth a visit, she will give you a genuine view of the market, but do draw your own conclusions, she also has a supply of all the local free mags which hold a wealth of local info, nice little Tapas bar opposite as well.

Enjoy your trip..difficult not to really.

BB.