Reload this Page >

Commision Rates

Commision Rates

Old Sep 1st 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jamtart98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commision Rates

Hi,
I take care of a holiday apartment for a friend who lives in Madrid.

Generally I meet new clients when they arrive,explain where everything is,give them keys and collect money due.
When they leave I return any deposit,check the inventory,collect keys.
I then do any cleaning that is necessary.
I also do any minor repairs which are required.
I also accept bookings if I am approached personally or by phone.
I am paid an hourly rate for these tasks.

This is where the problem has arisen as I accepted two bookings totalling 800 euros in June and JUly and now the accounts are due I have to submit my claim for hours and commission. Never having worked on a commission basis before I asked the Apt. Owner what she suggested I claim.
I had in mind 15% (a figure plucked out of the blue!) but was somewhat surprised and disappointed when she suggested 10%. I thought this was rather low.

To be fair she did suggest that I should try to check with an Inmobiliria for a guideline but I thought I would ask ex-pats if they have any advice on this.
I know Inmoboliria charge 1 month in advance commission when letting for long term but I have,nt a clue with short term lets.

Any help or advice gratefully accepted.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Kathdillon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Commision Rates

My friend runs a property management company, he charges 26% that includes the cleaning and laundry. Hope this helps
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Macberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jamtart98
Hi,

Generally I meet new clients when they arrive,explain where everything is,give them keys and collect money due.

This is where the problem has arisen as I accepted two bookings totalling 800 euros in June and JUly and now the accounts are due I have to submit my claim for hours and commission. Never having worked on a commission basis before I asked the Apt. Owner what she suggested I claim.
I had in mind 15% (a figure plucked out of the blue!) but was somewhat surprised and disappointed when she suggested 10%. I thought this was rather low.

To be fair she did suggest that I should try to check with an Inmobiliria for a guideline but I thought I would ask ex-pats if they have any advice on this.
I know Inmoboliria charge 1 month in advance commission when letting for long term but I have,nt a clue with short term lets.

If you are responsible for the funds- not only collecting them, but if you accept a cheque who pays if it bounces? If you act as a booking agent as well as a manager, then a commission of 33% would be in order. If the owner simply requires you to act as a 'housekeeper' then charge an hourly rate - you not being responsible for the funds.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

The norm is CASH either before arrival or on arrival!! I agree 33% should be paid however in reality the owners just wont pay that kind of money!! there are lots of people here in Spain that would do it for much less!! 3/4 years ago €10-12 per hour was the going rate for cleaning its now €7.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 11:57 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

is it worthwhile formalising the arrangement and starting your own business with concrete agreement and also look for other work - if you want it that is.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:57 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess rates will vary depending on where you live and how desperate you are for work. 10% seems very low, even @ mates rates. 10% may be OK if the property rents at 1,000€ per week but not at 250€. I would have thought a fixed rate X€ would be more appropriate.

You really ought to have agreed the rate in advance.

Last edited by missile; Sep 2nd 2011 at 1:02 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathdillon
The norm is CASH either before arrival or on arrival!! I agree 33% should be paid however in reality the owners just wont pay that kind of money!! there are lots of people here in Spain that would do it for much less!! 3/4 years ago €10-12 per hour was the going rate for cleaning its now €7.
I charge 10 euros an hour for cleaning, 7 euros per person for laundry and any thing else is charged at 10 euros per hour.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
is it worthwhile formalising the arrangement and starting your own business with concrete agreement and also look for other work - if you want it that is.
I think formalising the agreement seems like a good idea
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:30 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamtart98
Hi,

having had time to think about it....
how is she advertising the properties at the moment ?
if using an internet agency such as holidaylettings.co.uk, how much commission do they take ?
does that commission apply if she takes a booking say from mum or man next door ?
does she take private bookings and include them in her private useage ?

I think she is being fair asking you to have a chat with someone in the business, but you are doing front end marketing, the same as the girl in tight pants on the beach, so should get a reasonable commission.

perhaps she may well give in to the 15% if you have a bit of evidence, knowing how well you will have sold the property.
last thing she will want is for you to say "I don't know but fone this number" and leave it all up to her.

hth
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jamtart98 is an unknown quantity at this point

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR VARIED AND HELPFUL ADVICE.

I AM PAID AT 10 EUROS AN HOUR FOR THE GENERAL WORK I DO.iT SEEMS THIS IS ABOVE THE AVERAGE ACCORDING TO SOME REPLIES HERE BUT I THINK IT IS FAIR BEARING IN MIND THE RESPONSIBILITIES INVOLVED,I.E. ACCEPTING CASH WHEN CLIENTS ARRIVE.

THIS IS THE FIRST SUMMER WE VENTURED INTO THIS AND WE HAVE LEARNED A LOT.

BEING FRIENDS AND THE WORK NOT BEING OF A PERMANENT NATURE A CONTRACT WAS NEVER DISCUSSED AS WE BOTH PROBABLY ASSUMED IT WOULD NOT BE NECESSARY. HOWEVER THIS IS SOMETHING WE WILL HAVE TO DISCUSS FOR NEXT YEAR AND TO HAVE A FORMAL CONTRACT WOULD MAKE SENSE.

I THINK I WILL SUGGEST THAT HAVING TAKEN ADVICE 20% WOULD BE A FAIR COMMISSION GIVING ME 160 EUROS FOR MY EFFORTS IN SECURING TWO BOOKINGS TO THE VALUE OF 800 EUROS.

THE PROPRIETOR MAY DISPUTE THIS IN WHICH CASE I WILL SETTLE FOR 15% WHICH UNIVERSALLY FROM THE ABOVE ADVICE WOULD SEEM TO BE THE AVERAGE PERCENTAGE SUGGESTED.

ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP. I KNEW I COULD RELY ON EX PATS TO OFFER ADVICE ON THIS TOPIC.