Cold floors

Old Mar 26th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Cold floors

Hi

Having made the mistake of not having underfloor heating we would like to make the floor warmer, apart from the obvious carpets or slippers, would it help to have the hollow floor blocks injected with cavity insulation.
Also how about a form of click laminated flooring on 6mm insulation, has anyone tried this, and if so what is the down side?.
Any other thoughts thanks.
Bill
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cold floors

Originally Posted by bil8999
Hi

Having made the mistake of not having underfloor heating we would like to make the floor warmer, apart from the obvious carpets or slippers, would it help to have the hollow floor blocks injected with cavity insulation.
Also how about a form of click laminated flooring on 6mm insulation, has anyone tried this, and if so what is the down side?.
Bill
Humidity! We laid a hardwood floor just because we felt that it would be warmer and it heaved that demonstrates the difference between 20% (one day last week) AND 100% which occurs when we have pea soup fogs.

However a laminate floor may not have that problem. Engineered Board would also work.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cold floors

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Humidity! We laid a hardwood floor just because we felt that it would be warmer and it heaved that demonstrates the difference between 20% (one day last week) AND 100% which occurs when we have pea soup fogs.

However a laminate floor may not have that problem. Engineered Board would also work.
Hi John Kath
Thanks for that yes thought about engineered board, what about cavity fill pumped into the floor blocks, would it help or contribute to the humidity.
Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:19 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Bill
Had mine (click type) down for about 6 years now without any issues.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by playamonte
Had mine (click type) down for about 6 years now without any issues.
Hi playa monte

Did u buy it in Spain and do they have e website, also how did you finish off around the edge to allow for movement.
Thanks Bill
Old Mar 27th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cold floors

Hi John Kath
Thanks for that yes thought about engineered board, what about cavity fill pumped into the floor blocks, would it help or contribute to the humidity.
Thanks
Don't think it changes the humidity but would make it warmer. However I would think very difficult to do and there would be cold bridges so you could get condensation in spots all over the floor. Best to use fibre under the floor that would be consistant. on't know if you can get them in Spain.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 6:05 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Hi playa monte

Did u buy it in Spain and do they have e website, also how did you finish off around the edge to allow for movement.
Thanks Bill
Hi Bill.
Bought in Leroy Merlin & its stocked in a lot of outlets now like Brico.
It will pay to get the best/warmest underlay available.
I assume that you have a tiled floor with ceramic skirting ?, that being the case the skirting needs to be removed & the walls made good. Very good as you do not want any material to fall down at a later date to steal the expansion gap.
Easy to lay & as you know at least 10mm gap all around, affix the matching skirting using no nails, job done.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Having made the mistake of not having underfloor heating...
Bill
I don't know about other flooring but we've just moved because our underfloor heating produced astronomical bills even when only used highly sparingly! It was costing hundreds every month and the place wasn't big.

I'd say you've done the right thing!
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 82mph
I don't know about other flooring but we've just moved because our underfloor heating produced astronomical bills even when only used highly sparingly! It was costing hundreds every month and the place wasn't big.

I'd say you've done the right thing!
I tend to agree, certainly not the most efficient form of heating.

With regard to floor insulation I wonder to what extent it helps, bearing in mind that in winter the ground below the property itself is probably much warmer than the outdoor air temperature at night-time which is normally transmitted virtually straight through the solid outer walls of older properties, surely the greatest source of heat loss or am I missing something ?

On the other hand if you're fortunate enough to have cavity walls, then floor insulation will likely make it that little bit better.