Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Closing Bank Account by post

Closing Bank Account by post

Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:29 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Closing Bank Account by post

Has anyone ever done this?

I am in the UK and have written a letter (through Google translate) to my Spanish bank and enclosed a copy of our passports and NIE numbers. Our debit cards have expired and there is only a few euros in the account.

Does anyone know if this is acceptable? Will they close the account with this information?

It's Caja Granada, recently amalgamated with some other Cajas into Banco BMN.

Any advice welcome.

Last edited by scampicat; Jun 5th 2012 at 6:37 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:17 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Closing Bank Account by post

Usually, just letting the account sit dormant for a few months will inevitably cause it to be closed.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:41 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Usually, just letting the account sit dormant for a few months will inevitably cause it to be closed.
Thanks, I am worried about the Bank taking charges from it and causing it to be overdrawn, this has already happened and I had to transfer some money over.

So I would rather it was closed.

If I send my letter and nothing happens, I'll have no choice but to leave it for a few months!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the same a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear if it is closed. Will let you know IF i hear anything
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:32 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I tried the same a few weeks ago, but have yet to hear if it is closed. Will let you know IF i hear anything
Thanks, I would be interested to hear.

Meanwhile I will post the letter tomorrow and live in hope!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:49 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot send recorded delivery to spain, but you might want to send it "signed for".
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:09 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by missile
You cannot send recorded delivery to spain, but you might want to send it "signed for".
Yes thanks, I was going to do that , I didn't live in Spain for eight years for nothing!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:36 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Read your contract, it probably say's they require 15 days notice, ask them to email confirmation to you too, and if you get it keep it safe, otherwise expect charges a few months on, All Spanish companies are extremely good at extracting money from you with things that you have overlooked, best of luck
Old Jun 5th 2012, 4:08 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Read your contract, it probably say's they require 15 days notice, ask them to email confirmation to you too, and if you get it keep it safe, otherwise expect charges a few months on, All Spanish companies are extremely good at extracting money from you with things that you have overlooked, best of luck
Thanks, I have asked them to send me confirmation.

I'm not holding my breath!!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Wendybee is an unknown quantity at this point

We closed a bank account with Caja Granada by post last year. We sent everything ie copies of passport, utility bill, NIE, a letter written in English and Spanish and the debit card cut in half to the bank by 'signed for' delivery so we knew that they'd received it. A month later nothing had happened so my husband phoned them and asked them to proceed with closing the account as they had everything that they needed. They closed it that day and forwarded the balance to our account in France. A bit long winded but we got there in the end! Don't be afraid to pick the phone up; you may have to in order to complete the process. Just in case you're wondering, our Spanish is very basic.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Not all spanish banks are unhelpful and tardy. When in UK, I e mail my bank manager @ Barclays.es and get a response by return.

A far better service than I get from my bank in UK.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:26 pm
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Wendybee
We closed a bank account with Caja Granada by post last year. We sent everything ie copies of passport, utility bill, NIE, a letter written in English and Spanish and the debit card cut in half to the bank by 'signed for' delivery so we knew that they'd received it. A month later nothing had happened so my husband phoned them and asked them to proceed with closing the account as they had everything that they needed. They closed it that day and forwarded the balance to our account in France. A bit long winded but we got there in the end! Don't be afraid to pick the phone up; you may have to in order to complete the process. Just in case you're wondering, our Spanish is very basic.
Thanks, that is very useful information.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 11:37 am
Ex Expat

Sent my letter, and assorted documents, by 'signed for' delivery on 6th June.

Heard nothing.

Tried to access internet banking today, an error message came up saying that I was unauthorised to do so.

E-mailed bank, attaching copy of letter and asking if account had been closed.

They have confirmed that it is.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by scampicat; Jun 15th 2012 at 11:40 am.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:16 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my case. I not only went into the branch and told them that we were leaving to go back to the UK last August, but I am still receiving statements whereby I'm being charged interest on nothing. I left the account with no money in it "zero balance" and havent used it.The debit card has expired, however I'm so far 27€ overdrawn, simply due to bank charges - I've e-mailed them twice since in both Enlgish and Spanish

Jo xxx
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:52 pm
Started off with nothing

I have a number of dormant bank accounts, none have been closed without my written request.