Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Clarrification on building permissions etc

Clarrification on building permissions etc

Old Oct 6th 2007, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Camperman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clarrification on building permissions etc

Hi all.. found this site after searching the net for info...

this may have been asked before but I have searched to no avail...

I am looking at a parcel of land in Granada, I have had a local architect make enquiries at the townhall regarding appropriate licences etc and he has answered a few questions... the land will be licenced for 65m build.

Is there anyone who can answer a list of questions I have regarding the building licence rules Sewerage etc etc etc

I'd prefer to take this off line as I guess that many questions may have been answered before, so if there is someone who could email me I'll send them the questions so as not to bore everyone....

Many thanks

Pete
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:16 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarrification on building permissions etc

Is the plot in the town or in the country?

If it is country land then the 65m2 sounds suspiciously like an "agricultural" building. If that is the case you can build it but you will never get a licence of first occupation so you will not be able to use it for anything other that agricultural purposes.

Country land requires at least 30000m2 of land to build on and even then you have to be a registered farmer to get a licence.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

been all through this I am aware of these rules and have been assured by the townhall that the property will be granted a licence to build a residential property, and these conditions are being incorporated into the contracts of sale.

Didn't want to write an essay about the land.. as i have spent a while asking these questions with the townhall and local architect.

My questions were more to do with the building that can be build and its design etc

Last edited by Camperman; Oct 6th 2007 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Camperman
My questions were more to do with the building that can be build and its design etc
Surely your architect is the best person to advise you on this?
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Fred James
Surely your architect is the best person to advise you on this?
Paying an architect reccomended by a local estate agent wasn't my prefered choice, just conveniant.... so I would like an opinion on a few things that the Architect didn't seem to answer or just didn't want to as it would have ment a bit of extra work and I think he just wanted an easy job.....

I will be going over again soon so it would be nice to be pre armed when I have my next meeting.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:23 pm

Using an architect recomended by an estate agent would not be a good idea.

You will have to find an architect to present your application for a building licence - you cannot do it without one.

We built a new house on a piece of land and the architect was the most important person involved.

I would thoroughly recommend that you find a good one before you proceed any further.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

No offence but...
As Stated I AM AWARE OF THE MAIN RULES AND REGULATIONS!
I am not the typical British numpty that buys a feild thinking they can pay a local builder to build their dream house without any problems....

I undderstand building licences, and do not need an architect for anything other than dealing with the initial local matters which are different to the UK. I have developed many properties in the UK so building a house in Spain from plans presents little problem to me, it is what and what cannot be done within the confines of the planning rules that I wish to clarrify without having to continually pay some 2nd rate Spanish Architect just because he thinks he can extract money for answering every question.......

Understanding what can and cannot be done within the Spansh rules is a learning curve, I know of many rules and regulations within the uk that can be utilised to allow other things to be done......
In the UK I have an architect who knows every rule/regulation and how they can be exploited, Spain is no different I just need someone who is fluent in the rules, it is not s easy to find such an architect in Spain whilst in the UK.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:50 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No offence but...
As Stated I AM AWARE OF THE MAIN RULES AND REGULATIONS!
No offence but....
Obviously you know nothing about Spanish paperwork.
You are ready to go on the project with the assurance everything is going to be ok on the word of Architect of the guy selling the land.
You have disregarded Fred James`s post about legal requirements for land size.
Why do you think the Architect has not answered some of your questions.

I think following this approach you are soon going to be (using your own words) .... "the typical British numpty that buys a field thinking they can pay a local builder to build their dream house without any problems...."
Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:52 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

What do you need to know?
You will need a geotechnical survey carried out to determine the ground conditions in order for the foundations, drainage etc to be designed. This is compulsory (unless it's already been done by the current land owner) and forms part of the proyecto that your architect submits.
You must connect to mains sewerage system if it's within reach. If not, you need an approved septic tank system of the right capacity. These proposals also form part of the proyecto.
Unfortunately, in Spain, you do need an Architect right the way through the whole process. And of course, this professional service will have to be paid for...free advice from a forum is no substitute.
If you think your architect is 2nd rate..well, get yourself a 1st rate one and accept it will cost! Approach the Colegio in Granada.

Last edited by Hillybilly; Oct 7th 2007 at 9:55 am. Reason: sp
Old Oct 7th 2007, 2:33 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Is the plot in the town or in the country?

If it is country land then the 65m2 sounds suspiciously like an "agricultural" building. If that is the case you can build it but you will never get a licence of first occupation so you will not be able to use it for anything other that agricultural purposes.

Country land requires at least 30000m2 of land to build on and even then you have to be a registered farmer to get a licence.
I believe it depends on the area really.

Last year we segregated a plot of approximately 37,000 m2 suelo rustico (rustic land) into two plots in Benissa (Costa Blanca North). Each plot can have a Riu Rau built on it 2% footprint of total plot size(we have already got building license for the first plot). In this instance, you do not have to be a farmer.

In this area, you can build on a minimum of 10,000 m2 suelo rustico.

Rules differ from area to area as well as Town Hall to Town Hall. The OP's best bet is to definitely contact the College of Architects in his area and ask for written advice. This will obviously have a cost, but it will be money well spent.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 3:17 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
No offence but....
Obviously you know nothing about Spanish paperwork.
You are ready to go on the project with the assurance everything is going to be ok on the word of Architect of the guy selling the land.
You have disregarded Fred James`s post about legal requirements for land size.
Why do you think the Architect has not answered some of your questions.

I think following this approach you are soon going to be (using your own words) .... "the typical British numpty that buys a field thinking they can pay a local builder to build their dream house without any problems...."
And afterwards the local town hall will say, you don't have the proper building licence, but that can be sorted out by payment of a fine of 5,000 euros. then after that has been sorted, you will STILL get told that you haven't got proper planning and building permission, and will have to pay for it to be demolished. All these things have happened to ex pats who thought they knew best. Follow ALL the rules, use an approved architect, make sure he gets all the required licences or you WILL be one of those people complaining about the problems with beaurocracy.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

I find it interesting that I have stated nothing other than the size of build and a few general coments about the land... Yet it seems that almost everone seems to know what knowledge I have of Spanish paperwork and what licences have or have not already been granted or what discussions via my half English/Spanish legal translator have taken place....

I don't see myself running hand in pocket clutching a wadge of cash to someone waving a few bits of paper in Spanish.. I haven't developed properties in the uk and made sufficient not to have to work now... simply by taking what anyone including architects and solictors say at face value.. I have infact sued a solicitor and won.

In all cases I often get a second or third opinion and often more opinions... select an architect etc who knows what they are doing... I get free legal advice by taking advantage of the free 30mins with most solicitors then going armed with that information to the next for 30mins free and so on....
Why would I pay money for free advice.....

I have not asked for specifically do do with this property just wanted some knowledge on some of the finer points of rules and regulations...

HillyBilly can I email you a few questions please?
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:23 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

HillyBilly can I email you a few questions please?
Hi, post your queries on here. I live in Sevilla province and there are likely be people more knowledgeable than me about rules specific to Granada. Plus, your queries and any answers you receive may help others in your situation. I recommend a book, "Aspectos Legales en la Construcción".
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by MnM
I believe it depends on the area really.
Perfectly true but the originasl poster is talking about Granada province. In Andalucia it is 30000m2 minimum for Suelo Rustico, as I said.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:02 pm

I I have infact sued a solicitor and won.
In Spain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.