Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Christmas in Spain is no good ( 114days )

Christmas in Spain is no good ( 114days )

Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Christmas in Spain is no good ( 114days )

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
This is exactly why I feel the Spanish way is better than the British (at least in public life). There's too much slippage in the UK, and you can often see decorations put up in streets from October onwards.
I prefer the desserts and cakes in the UK, but that's all year round, not just at Chrimbo time.
Forgive if I've stirred a few notions with regards to my timing - I did not wish to offend. I'm just using the forum to gain public opinions on what maybe is done differently for the Brit community in Spain to at least "make it feel" just as good if not better than when living back in the ole' UK...

Has anyone done a Spanish version of the mince pie ??

Thx - DSB.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:44 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas in Spain is no good ( 114days )

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
Forgive if I've stirred a few notions with regards to my timing - I did not wish to offend. I'm just using the forum to gain public opinions on what maybe is done differently for the Brit community in Spain to at least "make it feel" just as good if not better than when living back in the ole' UK...

Has anyone done a Spanish version of the mince pie ??

Thx - DSB.
can't stand mince pies

I much prefer biscocho borracho - 'drunken biscuit'

biscocho - a type of cake - soaked in the booze of your choice - I think traditionally it's rum
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnxa
can't stand mince pies

I much prefer biscocho borracho - 'drunken biscuit'

biscocho - a type of cake - soaked in the booze of your choice - I think traditionally it's rum
A cake in Gin ???????

DSB.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

it was probably about 5ft, nice a bushey

Was it a really good one for that much, or am I out of touch with the UK prices ?
I remember paying around 20-35 pounds for a decent 6 ft tree in the UK..

DSB.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spain
it was probably about 5ft, nice a bushey
real trees in spain are a total rip off. i always bought real trees in the uk, year after year. 1st time we went to get a tree in spain , the smallest, crappiest one was €50!! so, artificial it was.....saying that i did see some cheaper ones last year in a local garden centre, and i do think theyre definitely getting more into the 'crimbo' spirit here in spain than they were when we arrived 5 years ago.
hmm, this year, looks like i'll be on the beach, followed by a booking at the local restaurant for a big british xmas dinner. yum.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digdug
this year, looks like i'll be on the beach, followed by a booking at the local restaurant for a big british xmas dinner. yum.
Can't beat that - No mess in the Kitchen and full bellies all around

DSB.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 2:53 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digdug
hmm, this year, looks like i'll be on the beach, followed by a booking at the local restaurant for a big british xmas dinner. yum.
Where are you going to go for a Brit Christmas dinner?

Rosemary
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Where are you going to go for a Brit Christmas dinner?

Rosemary
kopi's in denia do a cracker - havent booked yet though.....
DD
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:52 am
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Well,
For those of us that are fortunate to make our villa's warm and cosy this Winter.. Watch our Christmas TV Specials with a tree all decorated, is it as good as we remember or need it to be ?
What I mean is can it be, with a little bit of work?

I personally feel that this time of year is the most hardest, globally, for anyone that has moved from their Country of Birth when Christmas comes around..

Do you have those crazy little Christmas shops opening up closer to time ?
Where do you get your trees from, or is it plastic

I would love to hear from you all, as I need to improve on what I've experienced in the past.
Christmas in Spain

Cheers,
DSB.
Why dont you try dunnes they have some nice stuff . I got sum stuff from there last few yrs.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny but our friends come here from UK at xmas to get away from the hassle.
We do noche buena and the 3 kings which we all enjoy much more.