Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Choosing the location in Spain!

Choosing the location in Spain!

Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing the location in Spain!

Originally Posted by jackytoo
No way it's more expensive in Spain than the UK, in-fact I know it isn't because I've crunched the numbers
How can you know that when you don't even know which location is ok. Do you claim to know more than people living and visiting.

There is more to teaching a foreign language than knowing the grammer (sic)
you beat me to it - but I decided not to be the grammar police today

Last edited by lynnxa; Feb 17th 2010 at 2:40 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:32 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

lol, same here.

Goya in Madrid may be cheaper than the equivilent of the same area in London but you´ve also got to take into account the wages over here as well. You can take an appartment in rent from as little as 700€ a month or as much as 10 000€ a month.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

RagsToRich will become famous soon enoughRagsToRich will become famous soon enough

How can you know that when you don't even know which location is ok? Do you claim to know more than people living and visiting?

There is more to teaching a foreign language than knowing the grammer (sic).
Yeah, I guess you have to know about punctuation and everything.

But jibes aside, I don't need the realism advice. I'm 27, I've travelled the world, and I've worked abroad before.

As for expense... I cannot know. I can only make a judgement based on the information I've collected - and I have complete faith in my ability to make a good judgement.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn’t for the enthusiasm of the adventurous, Livingstone would have sat on his arse or got a job in an oil refinery, and Victoria Falls would not have been discovered by a white man until much later.

I know it’s an extreme example, but the principle is the same.

I admire several lady posters on this forum who are living here in Spain while the husbands still need to work elsewhere for financial reasons, and those ladies are bringing up their children in a foreign country, alone.

So let the two young men live their adventure, let’s applaud the pensioners from the UK who’ve got the bottle to walk across foreign fields, and maybe even those foolish people still buying bars in Spain, as long as they’re not spending ‘real’ money, and just a bingo win.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I would suggest Seville or Malaga in Andalucia. They are vibrant university towns with a lot of young people.

Barcelona would be another option.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

[QUOTE= I know the English language, particularly GRAMMER, like the back of my hand. Not a problem at all.

Oh dear, I knew you were setting yourself up with that one.

Good luck with your plans though. You're young enough to give it a go and if it doesn't work out you can put on the list of experiences.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

RagsToRich will become famous soon enoughRagsToRich will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HBG
If it wasn’t for the enthusiasm of the adventurous, Livingstone would have sat on his arse or got a job in an oil refinery, and Victoria Falls would not have been discovered by a white man until much later.
Exactly.

Honestly there's always a few negative vibes flying around. I have a friend who was considering teaching English in Japan, she posted on some gaijin forums and was welcomed with an influx of negative comments going on about how hard it'll be for her, how expensive Japan is, how hard jobs are to come back, how things have changed... etc... etc...

Well she went ahead and did it anyway, and by all accounts is having the time of her life.

Fortune favours the positive.

Rich
Old Feb 17th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=RagsToRich;8351252.

Fortune favours the positive.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Only regret the things you don't do, not the things you do.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:38 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Coming to Spain is hardly being a pioneer is it. Many kids have been all over the world backpacking at 21.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Coming to Spain is hardly being a pioneer is it. Many kids have been all over the world backpacking at 21.
That's a good point. Being a pioneer has its advantages. People give you the benefit of the doubt and help you out because of the novelty factor.

But following the well trodden path could end with you falling off the cliff with the other lemmings.

Still, everyone has the right to give it a go and I wish you the best. A positive attitude is the right start
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RagsToRich
No way it's more expensive in Spain than the UK, in-fact I know it isn't because I've crunched the numbers

Cheers!

Rags
Hiya Rags

This isn't strictly true, it very much varies from area to area as has been demonstrated on here many times. In CDS fir instance it seems a lot more expensive than, say, the Northern CB ... or thats the way it seems to me.

All you can really do is research as much as you can. It's very true to say its difficult to say the least in Spain at the moment. You have to take a middle view of the comments you receive here, and what you learn elsewhere .... and then decide if you want to risk it or not!

I've always said .... if I'd had to work when I came to Spain then I would never have come

Good luck
Old Feb 17th 2010, 6:40 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Good post
Old Feb 17th 2010, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RagsToRich
Thanks for all the responses. There's a few "reality check" type posts... I'm not too concerned about that. If this was a forum called "Moving back to the UK" and someone posted a plan like this to return to the UK on there I'd expect a much grimmer response.
Overall I'm extremely encouraged by the overall positive reception - thanks especially for the advice re: location.
With regards qualification - I don't care at all about actually having the qualification - I only want the experience. I know the English language, particularly grammer, like the back of my hand. Not a problem at all.

All I need is classroom experience and some tips of giving lesson plans etc.

Basic Spanish? I'm all over it. After talking to a friend who has been travelling the world for ten years learning Spanish has rocketed to my #1 priority. I started an audio course yesterday and will be doing an hour a day for the next 6 months. Also going to make some new Spanish friends to practice with (I'm not kidding )

Cheers!

Rags
How can you know that when you don't even know which location is ok. Do you claim to know more than people living and visiting.

There is more to teaching a foreign language than knowing the grammer (sic)
or being able to practice (sic)....
sorry, nit-picking I know but you did rather talk yourself into it with your pronouncement

as to cost.. well as jackytoo says, how can you know without living here? You don't know where you're going to be, what you're going to do for accommodation, what your income will be, what your expectations for a social life/transport/etc will be - take it from me, a number of things, more than you'd think, ARE more expensive here. Others will correctly tell you there are things which are cheaper. But don't make assumptions too easily, that's all we're saying.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 9:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to teach English, this may be of interest...

Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Oh dear. Have fun, but keep a few quid aside for the return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.