Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Choosing Euros or Sterling.

Choosing Euros or Sterling.

Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:04 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Choosing Euros or Sterling.

Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of choosing sterling/euros when withdrawing money from an ATM in Spain, and now when paying for goods buy credit or debit card ?? I never know which to choose and just decide at random. What is the purpose of offering a choice ??
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Choosing Euros or Sterling.

Originally Posted by poollounger
Can anyone shed light on the pros and cons of choosing sterling/euros when withdrawing money from an ATM in Spain, and now when paying for goods buy credit or debit card ?? I never know which to choose and just decide at random. What is the purpose of offering a choice ??
When I draw euros, I elect my bank (Nationwide) to fix the exchange rate as they offer commercial rates. Otherwise, I think it is a bit of a lottery - unless any of the others know different?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:02 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and can also apply to card transactions in shops etc.

The idea is that some people have no idea what a Euro is so they feel more comfortable withdrawing a Sterling amount (which of course is paid in Euros).

The problem is that it will almost certainly involve poorer exchange rates being applied to the transaction.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It's known as "Dynamic Currency Conversion" and can also apply to card transactions in shops etc.

The idea is that some people have no idea what a Euro is so they feel more comfortable withdrawing a Sterling amount (which of course is paid in Euros).

The problem is that it will almost certainly involve poorer exchange rates being applied to the transaction.
Thanks for clarifying - I think I misinterpreted the question. I was, of course, thinking of the option to use the ATM's exchange rate on the day of withdrawal or allowing your own bank to apply the rate later.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

Always opt for the local currency option as the exchange rate for any other currency is quite heavily loaded.

Use a Nationwide debit card and you win all ways as Nationwide are one of the few banks who don't add a charge for using cards abroad.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:53 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dazzle
Always opt for the local currency option as the exchange rate for any other currency is quite heavily loaded.

Use a Nationwide debit card and you win all ways as Nationwide are one of the few banks who don't add a charge for using cards abroad.
Dazzle I always use my Nationwide cards in Spain, got 1.47 last week on credit card purchase. Does this mean with a Nationwide card it is irrelevant whether I choose sterling or euro ?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

No because it's the owner of the ATM who does the loading
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:09 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
No because it's the owner of the ATM who does the loading

Yes, it is the local bank who apply the loading if you ask for Sterling amounts which is why you must always ask for Euros.