British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Child Abducted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/child-abducted-449121/)

mrsjdr May 15th 2007 8:34 am

Re: Child Abducted

Originally Posted by jeanc (Post 4782575)
heard the news last night before i went to bed woke up this morning and 1st thing i thought was hope she's been found. But they haven't yet, hope there's some good news later. fingers crossed

Think everyone is waiting with fingers crossed, do hope it is good news soon

Mitzyboy May 15th 2007 10:49 am

On the face of it this is someone who has just been over helpful and apparantly was with people on the night she was taken. He seems to have been taken in on the say so of a Daily paper reporter who thought it was suspicious that he was asking lots of questions and claiming to be a translator.

One person yesterday said that she wasn't aware that he spoke enough Spanish to be a translator, but on the other hand someone texted SKY today and said shes known him for years and he used to help her with her Portuguese as he spoke it so well.

I do hope they have something concrete, that this isn't just grabbing at straws and that someones reputation isn't going to be tarnished!

Miss Naughty May 15th 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4783097)
On the face of it this is someone who has just been over helpful and apparantly was with people on the night she was taken. He seems to have been taken in on the say so of a Daily paper reporter who thought it was suspicious that he was asking lots of questions and claiming to be a translator.

One person yesterday said that she wasn't aware that he spoke enough Spanish to be a translator, but on the other hand someone texted SKY today and said shes known him for years and he used to help her with her Portuguese as he spoke it so well.

I do hope they have something concrete, that this isn't just grabbing at straws and that someones reputation isn't going to be tarnished!

I agree it seems to me this reporter seems a bit keen as a young reporter, just to go on the fact she thought he was strange i can say that about a lot of people, another reporter said he was helpful and kind.

I hope that it has not been wasted as that has wasted time on the investigation in other areas :wub:

Mitzyboy May 15th 2007 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty (Post 4783112)
I agree it seems to me this reporter seems a bit keen as a young reporter, just to go on the fact she thought he was strange i can say that about a lot of people, another reporter said he was helpful and kind.

I hope that it has not been wasted as that has wasted time on the investigation in other areas :wub:

Might as well detain half the ex pat population there .... they've all tried to help, and they are sure to be asking questions.

They don't seem to have any other areas to investigate ... out of leads ... out of suspects

Miss Naughty May 15th 2007 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4783128)
Might as well detain half the ex pat population there .... they've all tried to help, and they are sure to be asking questions.

They don't seem to have any other areas to investigate ... out of leads ... out of suspects

The days are going past so quickly i think people are jumping on anything in the hope of finding her :(

rugbymatt May 15th 2007 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4783128)

They have just announced that they do have a suspect, and may well start court proceedings to make it official in the next few hours.

"Word" is thats its the Morat guy, they have taken films and a computer from his house.

Miss Naughty May 15th 2007 11:06 am

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4783177)
They have just announced that they do have a suspect, and may well start court proceedings to make it official in the next few hours.

"Word" is thats its the Morat guy, they have taken films and a computer from his house.

Well lets hope they find her xxxxx:wub:

jeanc May 15th 2007 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4783097)

If people don't act on their gut instincs she will never get found. maybe they are barking up the wrong tree and the reporter has got it wrong but if he is the guy and she kept her mouth shut, so's not to offend anyone, then people get away with it. I'm sure they have a bit more to go on to raid someones home than hearsay

lynnxa May 15th 2007 11:57 am

I saw on CNN earlier that altough hes has been released without arrest he is still officially a suspect..........

Mitzyboy May 15th 2007 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by jeanc (Post 4783191)
If people don't act on their gut instincs she will never get found. maybe they are barking up the wrong tree and the reporter has got it wrong but if he is the guy and she kept her mouth shut so's not to offend anyone then people get away with it. I'm sure they have a bit more to go on to raid someones home than hearsay

Yes I guess I'd agree, and I'd hope that she had a better reason than "he was being overly helpful"
Fingers crossed

Miss Naughty May 15th 2007 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 4783369)
Yes I guess I'd agree, and I'd hope that she had a better reason than "he was being overly helpful"
Fingers crossed

totally agree i just hope there is some news soon.

Cheetah7 May 15th 2007 2:12 pm

Re: child abducted

Originally Posted by Mercedes (Post 4757020)
I personally wouldn't put my trust in a service provided also by a Hotel. Gang members often get themselves working in places they are targeting and unless the person has a criminal record themselves they are still questionable Pedophiles often get themselves in areas of trust and areas of working with children. Unless you have been convicted you don't have a criminal record, so just because you don't have one, doesn't mean you're safe. .

You have raised some very valid points. So if we bear in mind that gang members sometimes get work in hotels and pedophiles get into areas of trust and the general fact that you can't trust the hotel staff to do what is right by your child, what on earth would make people think it is even remotely safer to leave their child alone, thus making it easier for potentials to take them in the first place.

That is, if we are just talking about abduction.

I question what a three year old was meant to do if one of the twins woke up? Go around the swimming pool to go and get mummy and daddy - who would feel happy about their little one doing that?

What would happen if there was a fire? Would the three year old gather the twins and get out?

People talk of first aid and babysitters being sufficiently trained, does that go for the three year old as well?

I realise people leave their kids in the flat whilst they may be in the garden but it is in the 'comfort' zone.

And that is no comparison to leaving them in a property whilst they go out for a meal.

In a nutshell, if they couldnt trust the hotel staff to babysit their kids, fair enough - why should little Maddy be any more responsible? She is super vulnerable being left alone if the fear was of trusting strangers.

If the reason they left the patio door open was because they were scared of fire and that meant they could get in quickly to rescue the kids, then what was to stop that little girl wondering off or how was she meant to react if there was a fire and it was another 25 minutes before mum and dad were due to check?

I am not going to slate the parents, but personally some of the comparisons that have been made on the site do not cut it and are not comparable.

brisca May 15th 2007 2:52 pm

Whilst I, like everyone else, just wants to know that Maddy has been found safe (albeit traumatised, poor litttle girl :( ) don't you think that the British media are a disgrace!?

If this suspect turns out to be guilty of a terrible crime, then of course he deserves everything that's coming to him...................
However, the British press seem to delight in naming and shaming anyone, and often even before charges have been brought! :ohmy:

Whatever happened to being innocent until proven guilty!!

How many of us would want our names and details plastered all around the world, when potentially we were actually innocent???

I can't believe they're allowed to do this, and I actually favour the Portuguese system of NOT "leaking" information to the blood thirsty "pack" that the gutter press has become :mad:

Just to clarify, I've never been the victim of mistaken identity, nor has anyone I've ever known, but I'm sick to death of individuals being torn apart from the very moment that their names are even mentioned as being part of an enquiry.
How often do you recall seeing pages and pages of coverage, shouting it from the rooftops that a suspect actually wasn't guilty at all???

As I said, IF this man is found guilty in a court of law, then I hope he gets the sentence that he deserves.
Unfortunately, this "trial by media" can end up causing a legal loophole, whereby a guilty person is actually not taken to trial, because the media interest has prejudiced their right to a fair trial.

I don't see anything fair about the way the British press are allowed to report nowadays.

Let's hope that little Maddy is found soon, and that she will eventually be able to overcome this unthinkable ordeal that someone has put her through.

crispy May 15th 2007 3:04 pm

[QUOTE=brisca;4784125]Whilst I, like everyone else, just wants to know that Maddy has been found safe (albeit traumatised, poor litttle girl :( ) don't you think that the British media are a disgrace!?..................

Very much of your opinion as well Sam, I have been thinking that the Portuguese police are on the right track by playing things to their chest and not talking to the press. Of course I can not say for sure but I would think that they keep Maddie's parents up dated and really they are the only ones who need to now.

Miss Naughty May 15th 2007 3:09 pm

I totally agree, i do not think they should splash anything to the media as that can make the person or persons responsible for the taking of maddy know what is going on!!!!!!