British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Child Abducted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/child-abducted-449121/)

lynnxa May 5th 2007 11:54 am

Child Abducted

this is in the Portugal forum & in the lounge

I thought it was relevant here, too...........I know some of you never venture away from here...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

Toddler 'abducted' during holiday

Madeleine disappeared while her parents were at a nearby restaurant
Sniffer dogs have been brought in to help search for a three-year-old from Britain who may have been abducted on holiday with her family in Portugal.
Madeleine McCann's parents, from Leicestershire, were at a restaurant near the Mark Warner Ocean Summer Club in Praia da Luz when she went missing.

mikelincs May 5th 2007 2:38 pm

Re: child abducted

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4740985)
this is in the Portugal forum & in the lounge

I thought it was relevant here, too...........I know some of you never venture away from here...........

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/6623127.stm

All over the BBC and other UK news stories last night. But, while it's very sad and worrying, the hotel/club did have a babywatching service, but the parents didn't use it, instead reying on going to check every 30 mins, and THE ROOM WAS ON THE GROUND FLOOR WITH NO BARS ON THE WINDOWS, what were the hotel people thinking of? it made the room very vulnerable.

rugbymatt May 5th 2007 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 4741362)
All over the BBC and other UK news stories last night. But, while it's very sad and worrying, the hotel/club did have a babywatching service, but the parents didn't use it, instead reying on going to check every 30 mins, and THE ROOM WAS ON THE GROUND FLOOR WITH NO BARS ON THE WINDOWS, what were the hotel people thinking of? it made the room very vulnerable.

quite a good thread in the lounge about this.

lynnxa May 5th 2007 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4741370)
quite a good thread in the lounge about this.

but some in the spain forum just 'daren't' go there:unsure:

rugbymatt May 5th 2007 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4741456)
but some in the spain forum just 'daren't' go there:unsure:

I didn't mean that you shouldn't do another thread, just that some of the comments there are a bit, well colourful!

lynnxa May 5th 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4741475)
I didn't mean that you shouldn't do another thread, just that some of the comments there are a bit, well colourful!

I know, I've contributed

how long before it gets taken 'outside'?

now that is a scary place:eek:

rugbymatt May 5th 2007 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4741485)
I know, I've contributed

how long before it gets taken 'outside'?

now that is a scary place:eek:

tell me about it, I pop in to have a bit of fun, but I get to relax in Spain.

Ka Ora! May 5th 2007 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 4741489)
tell me about it, I pop in to have a bit of fun, but I get to relax in Spain.

Not wrong there got my fingers burnt a few times.:(

jeanc May 5th 2007 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 4741362)

I can't understand why anyone would leave their kids either at home or abroad. I've had 3 kids to look after with no mother alive on mine or my husbands side there's been times when we haven't been out together for over 6 months and when we've been on holiday we've had times when the kids have been very tired and we've been sat on balcony at 9 o'clock watching everyone else enjoying themselves but would never have left them. Thing is its not just the parents that will pay the price. Police think they know whos got her so obviously known got a police record for something!!

dazzle May 5th 2007 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jeanc (Post 4741716)
I can't understand why anyone would leave their kids either at home or abroad. I've had 3 kids to look after with no mother alive on mine or my husbands side there's been times when we haven't been out together for over 6 months and when we've been on holiday we've had times when the kids have been very tired and we've been sat on balcony at 9 o'clock watching everyone else enjoying themselves but would never have left them. Thing is its not just the parents that will pay the price. Police think they know whos got her so obviously known got a police record for something!!

The danger here is that if we start to critcise the parents for leaving them we run the risk (without meaning to) of taking responsibility away from the low life who did this.

I'm sure there's nothing anyone can think or say that those poor parents aren't saying to themselves over and over again.

My heart goes out to them!

MnM May 5th 2007 6:45 pm

I've read the comments both here and in the Lounge and can honestly say that I'm horrified.

The parents of this little girl need all the support they can get at the moment. Can anyone just imagine themselves in their shoes for even one second? I think it's horrific all the blame and horrible things that are being said about them.

What is important now is that the parents and this poor little girl have good thoughts and prayers coming their way....not blame and accusations.

Martha

Ka Ora! May 5th 2007 6:45 pm

I dont think that even if the police had a suspect they would of said that because it alerts the person to possible capture. Most abductors are within a very short radius of the abductee i would not be suprised if this was someone within the party of family's that were there together but dont forget that the father has been a bit too super cool through this. Always look at the family first who discovered that the child was missing how long had they been away from the meal that they where at what happened. Many Questions little in the way of answers. Although this is a different police force and they have a different manner in conducting investigations.

I smell a big RAT in this. It would not of even made the news if it was not for the fact the mother and father were english and then why does it make it any more news worthy than other abductions a child is abducted every day in europe. We should start a lobby to stop animal testing and start testing on all these twisted people that do this sort of thing as in most cases the animals of the world are nicer

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by dazzle (Post 4741772)
The danger here is that if we start to critcise the parents for leaving them we run the risk (without meaning to) of taking responsibility away from the low life who did this.

I'm sure there's nothing anyone can think or say that those poor parents aren't saying to themselves over and over again.

My heart goes out to them!

Agree with you totally about taking it away from the low life who performed the act. But and it really is a huge but, the parents are meant to protect their children and therefore I will always put the blame firmly in their court.

Neglectful parents are the lowest of the low in my book, having worked in this area for many years.

Rosemary

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by MnM (Post 4741777)
I've read the comments both here and in the Lounge and can honestly say that I'm horrified.

The parents of this little girl need all the support they can get at the moment. Can anyone just imagine themselves in their shoes for even one second? I think it's horrific all the blame and horrible things that are being said about them.

What is important now is that the parents and this poor little girl have good thoughts and prayers coming their way....not blame and accusations.

Martha

Blame and accusations are not healthy but the parents have a moral and legal obligation to protect their child and they failed miserably.

Rosemary

Rosemary May 5th 2007 7:10 pm

You are a true parent who protects her children 100% of the time and do not forget your DUTIES when on holiday. No-one can protect their children all of the time as accidents can happen but this case is one of neglect and not a case of an accident.

Rosemary