Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chiclana's appeal

Chiclana's appeal

Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Harley69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chiclana's appeal

Every country and every town has it's pro's and con's... We have heard all the down sides about buying property in Chiclana, so why not concerntrate on the positive aspects of living there.

I for one would love to hear your views on Chiclana and the surrounding area's...

What makes Chiclana so appealing and what can the town offer... Best places go, kids facilities etc etc...
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Chiclana's appeal

Originally Posted by Harley69
Every country and every town has it's pro's and con's... We have heard all the down sides about buying property in Chiclana, so why not concerntrate on the positive aspects of living there.

I for one would love to hear your views on Chiclana and the surrounding area's...

What makes Chiclana so appealing and what can the town offer... Best places go, kids facilities etc etc...
Well being maybe one of the biggest posters of portraying the downside of Chiclana I want to be the first to answer.

Chiclana is like Spain was 20 years ago when I first visited Andalucia. The Town itself has charm, it is quaint and olde worlde, and you can find anything you need there. I am a great fan of the Post Office and especially the sorting area who are extremely helpful and obliging.

There is a wonderful natural park as you drive on the Motorway and the outside areas around Chiclana consist of lots of open spaces. There are many nice places to visit and if you go into the Tourist Office they can help you and point you in the right direction. My own personal favourites have to be Nova Sancti Petri, La Barossa Beach, Cadiz, Puerto Santa Maria and Jerez.

Most of the detached houses are without steps unless double storey so this is another good thing and the area is very flat making it a good place to retire.

I cannot help you with kids facilities but I am sure someone else will.

I have found the Spanish medical care here in Chiclana to be excellent equally on a par with Costa Del Sol but you do need Spanish unless you go private.

Cant think of more for now but at least I got the ball rolling??

Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:09 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: Chiclana's appeal

To add to the previous post the appeal of Chiclana to me is the diversity of what is here, you can be walking in the peace of the pine forest with views of the Atlantic ocean and within 10 minutes be amongst the visitors enjoying the bustle of the La Barossa beach front area with all its bars and restaurants. The hotels at Novo Sancti Petri are a good place to relax in the evening with a drink and enjoy the "entertainment" laid on for the guests.

After having lived here for over a year now one of its greatest appeals is its people, we have not come across one person who has been rude or unhelpful, they all seem so keen to please and try hard to understand us and our attempts at the Spanish Language. During the shopping hours the town always seems alive with people, I always get a feel of a happy atmosphere.

My father asked me recently if we thought we had chosen the right area, my answer was a definite YES.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

CHICLANA’S APPEAL.

Much favoured by Spanish people for their own second homes and holidays, so the area has not been too affected by the influx of other nationalities. But if you happen to like traditional dishes from other nationalities (English, Irish, Chinese, Indian, Italian and Argentinian, German), there are restaurants that cater for these. There are a few specifically British grocers, bars and restaurants and in my opinion, these remain discreet.

The Spanish language is predominant here, unlike the Costa del Sol or Costa Blanca, where I frequently encountered Spanish people who wanted only to speak English. This encourages many of us out of our comfort zone into learning the language and getting to know Spanish people and customs.

I like the mix of urban and rural here – deserted beaches, Grazalema and Donana National Parks within traveling distance, likewise the pueblos blancos of Medina Sidonia, Vejer, Alcala.

Most tastes are catered for here (although I’m still looking for a good jazz venue). Discos, nightclubs (real ones as well as bordellos). Nearby Cadiz has museums, movies, galleries. Wind surfing is down the coast at Tarifa, as well as migratory bird-watching in that part. There’s the Horse Fair, and the motorcycle races at Jerez, and don’t forget the dozen of bodegas for sherry tasting. Fab tapas at Sanluca de Barrameda, which has a competition every year, flamenco dancing at the numerous ferias.

So much to do and see, you need several lifetimes.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

I must admit from your comments Chiclana sounds really good...

Any ideas for kids as i have an 8 year old...

thanks guys...
Old Feb 28th 2006, 6:41 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
CHICLANA’S APPEAL.

Much favoured by Spanish people for their own second homes and holidays, so the area has not been too affected by the influx of other nationalities. But if you happen to like traditional dishes from other nationalities (English, Irish, Chinese, Indian, Italian and Argentinian, German), there are restaurants that cater for these. There are a few specifically British grocers, bars and restaurants and in my opinion, these remain discreet.

The Spanish language is predominant here, unlike the Costa del Sol or Costa Blanca, where I frequently encountered Spanish people who wanted only to speak English. This encourages many of us out of our comfort zone into learning the language and getting to know Spanish people and customs.

I like the mix of urban and rural here – deserted beaches, Grazalema and Donana National Parks within traveling distance, likewise the pueblos blancos of Medina Sidonia, Vejer, Alcala.

Most tastes are catered for here (although I’m still looking for a good jazz venue). Discos, nightclubs (real ones as well as bordellos). Nearby Cadiz has museums, movies, galleries. Wind surfing is down the coast at Tarifa, as well as migratory bird-watching in that part. There’s the Horse Fair, and the motorcycle races at Jerez, and don’t forget the dozen of bodegas for sherry tasting. Fab tapas at Sanluca de Barrameda, which has a competition every year, flamenco dancing at the numerous ferias.

So much to do and see, you need several lifetimes.
Gosh Iris you do sound interesting.....copious knowledge of sewage facilities and which nightclubs are really bordellos!!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 7:14 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Harley I looked at Chiclana on my very first visit, then got seduced by the greater value for money one gets inland in terms of property. Then scanned everywhere from Chiclana west to Ayamonte, considered being around Seville, saw some great houses near Estepa and would most certainly have bought a beautiful farmhouse near Moron complete with 30,000 sq mtrs of land which grows sunflowers in the summer, and a spring fed swimming pool if the local pharmacist hadn't snaffled it from under our nose, a bargain at 137,000 Euros. We left empty handed and bereft on that trip. We returned to view in Chiclana again, went inland to see some more farmhouses (cortijos), but realised that it might be best to walk before we decided to run. So returned to Chiclana to review the houses seen the day before and half a dozen others,finally choosing one. We now feel this was the right decision reached after a long process, and have this confirmed on every trip we make.
As already posted it is the mix of rural landcape and facilities, downright industrial and ugly in parts, then immediately open and pretty, even spectacular on the road heading east from Pago to Navarro and onto Medina. Jerez is superb, Seville spectacular but busy, and Cadiz I have yet to explore when I am not exhausted after a days shopping, but i do remember it from a decade ago. Cultural and bohemian. My Spanish friends with a weekend house in Barossa and a 10 year old and 4 year old and no pool swim and play tennis at the tennis club. The agent I used has 3 children from 10 to 16 and could help no doubt. The two women yacht liveaboards I was chatting to the other day were planning to sail from Britain for Cadiz and it's gay/lesbian bars, quirky and not commercial like Seville they said. I spent a couple of days recovering in the Sierra de Grazalema at the wonderful Hotel Fuerte which was invaded by kids...a great pool in a special setting.
Access to Jerez airport is very good, and I have driven to Seville in an hour.
Come and explore... find your own little corner. There is culture, wide open spaces, tradition and low life, marvellous roads and low prices. I am steeling myself for the downside when I confront it, but so far I have not.............oh except for the noisy cock that crows several times a night...but it makes a change from the hum of the south circular traffic.
Old Mar 1st 2006, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Unhappy Re: Chiclana's appeal

From the lack of response I can only assume there are no young families with small children living in or around Chiclana... Shame it would have been nice to hear how their children fitted in to their new Spanish life...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Chiclana's appeal

From the lack of response I can only assume there are no young families with small children living in or around Chiclana... Shame it would have been nice to hear how their children fitted in to their new Spanish life...
When we were looking for someone to manage our house in Novo Sancti Petri we met with a nice young couple who have set up as managing agents. They live locally to Barossa I think and have a small son (about 6 years old I think) who goes to spanish school locally. They said he was getting on fine and they seemed to be really making a go of their lives in spain.

They said the local hospitals and clinics have been very good and helpful when he's had the usual childhood spills.

To be honest I can't imagine any child under 10 not loving it - younger children usually settle more easily as they haven't yet developed the insecurities that descend on teenagers which makes them point blank refuse to consider the notion of moving abroad. And all that sea, sand, open forests and outdoor activities.... . Whenever we are at our house there are kids riding bikes around , exploring the pine forest along side the urbanisation and generally having a great time outside. If you drive though somewhere like Roche at any time of year, there's always kids out in the parks, playing football or tennis in the recreation areas. Now I know Roche is expensive....

I reckon one of the little towns around Chiclana would be a great for kids - you'd want to be part of a community and not somewhere that's specifically a resort (like NSP) as you need a permanent population and kids around all year so that your own kids make permanent friends.

I think there probably are plenty of young british expat families in the area, although they don't seem to be looking on this website.... so don't be put off.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:10 am

Harley I remembered while househunting up near Estepa being accompanied by a Yorkshireman, a game keeper turned builder and his 10 year old daughter. Her Spanish was more adept than his, and she translated when he stumbled or my questions grew too complex. Her father said she had fitted into a Spanish school very well, and enjoyed the sports etc . Had taken up Flamenco dancing and went on small performance trips and got paid for it too. His wife had enrolled on various couses in the village, open even to expat residents, and in some instances was given an allownace to attend, language, computing etc. He made us laugh as he recounted the tale of the local Brummies giving the Spanish English lessons replete with a Brummie accent..no different to us trying to pronounce our Spanish by the book when locally they all speak Andaluz !
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Chiclana's appeal

Harley, if you are living there, simply get your child into the local school. He/she will soon find out what goes on and make friends too. I speak from second hand experience, I have friends with young children who moved out a couple of years ago. The children speak Spanish like Spaniards, the youngest is not even aware she speaks two languages!

Even on holiday, just go to the beach and park yourself somewhere near another family with children similar age, the kids make friends in another language surprisingly easily. You will have to keep going back to that spot on the beach though...
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to cindyp and poollounger for their views... I bet my son would love Chiclana. Obviously we would have to find a suitable property in the right area with other children and not in a predominately holiday area...