Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Chiclana plus +++++++++++

Chiclana plus +++++++++++

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Chiclana plus +++++++++++

Originally Posted by poollounger
I shouldn't worry about it, poollounger! This site is presumably democratic and if you change your mind about whether a post is your last on a particular topic, that's up to you. I've suggested on another thread that you were lucky to have such an easy ride with your (apparently well nigh spontaneous) purchase, and you weren't rude or negative in your response to me.

Good luck and keep posting.

Nothing wrong with being positive, equally it's interesting and helpful for others if people post their negative experiences which can help others from following into the same pitfalls.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:46 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by un-mundo
I shouldn't worry about it, poollounger! This site is presumably democratic and if you change your mind about whether a post is your last on a particular topic, that's up to you. I've suggested on another thread that you were lucky to have such an easy ride with your (apparently well nigh spontaneous) purchase, and you weren't rude or negative in your response to me.

Nothing wrong with being positive, equally it's interesting and helpful for others if people post their negative experiences which can help others from following into the same pitfalls.
Was trying to stay tight lipped....thanks for your support ?? yes I have always agreed that luck plays a big part in it, but I did spend a year looking. Negative experiences are always worth having ... we can learn and grow from them, and they should help us to avoid pitfalls, but if history is anything to go by we never do. What I hate is the attitude prevalent everywhere but very much so in Britain, where if you have a suggestion or innovation there will immediately be a host of people telling you why you shouldn't do it or what will go wrong. As I said before, I was spooked on reading the unfortunate experiences of others just after my purchase, which fortunately was unfounded. Life isn't all misery and pain and good things do happen....venting vile and bile on others who are oblivious merely harms the venter

Last edited by poollounger; Mar 2nd 2006 at 10:48 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Was trying to stay tight lipped....thanks for your support ?? yes I have always agreed that luck plays a big part in it, but I did spend a year looking. Negative experiences are always worth having ... we can learn and grow from them, and they should help us to avoid pitfalls, but if history is anything to go by we never do. What I hate is the attitude prevalent everywhere but very much so in Britain, where if you have a suggestion or innovation there will immediately be a host of people telling you why you shouldn't do it or what will go wrong. As I said before, I was spooked on reading the unfortunate experiences of others just after my purchase, which fortunately was unfounded. Life isn't all misery and pain and good things do happen....venting vile and bile on others who are oblivious merely harms the venter
To hell with being tight lipped. This Spanish site seems to have become rather snippy during the past week - I don't know why.

I've had a few pms and passed on the name of the company that I used in London to check out my purchase, and if that helps simply one person, I'm happy.

I can totally understand why people waiting for a newbuild to be completed get very pissed off - I would, but then I wouldn't want to buy a newbuild, personally.

On both the Ayamonte thread and the many many (many!) about your area, it does seem that people have - at the very least - been delayed for months. There does seem a lot of support here for people who are getting very fed up with it, and that seems wholly a good thing. There's also a lot of support for them, which is also good.

It does seem odd that you seem to come in for so much flak when other posters who say exactly the same as you seem to avoid it. Is that because you don't actually live there, I wonder? I don't live full time in Spain, but I know the area that my apartment is in very well - my parents moved there 35 years ago, does that disqualify me from commenting? I think not!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:25 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I keep trying very hard to stay zipped but keep getting inveigled into a response. Now I could hypothesise about why I get so much flak, but that would possibly lead to a fresh assault, and it is time I spent my energies elsewhere and not retaliating. I have a friend who is permanently depressed about the state of her life and cannot see anything positive ahead. No matter what I tried to change her outlook she chose to see the dark side of life. She never watched Bergman films she was one..all doom and gloom. Wanted her life to be the way it wasn't and couldn't be. Now I just laugh at her pronouncements. This confuses her a little, but at least it doesn't drag me down with her...I see her as the central role in some black comedy.
And so I try to live my own life...I compromise and make do and see the good and try to play down the bad, and this can be annoying to people who cannot see a way out of their own downside. Now before anyone attacks me for being some supercilious *******, I have great sympathy for anyone less fortunate, but hey we are all talking about houses and flats in Spain, lifestyles of ease and contentment, second homes in the sun, when some people haven't a single roof over their head, no access to clean water or medical care, and not even enough to assuage the pangs of hunger. So lets all go out, crack open a bottle of Cava and thank our lucky stars and stop bickering !! Yes I know it's late but I haven't been drinking...Night all
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by un-mundo

Un-mundo just realised that the smile I chose in error is embarrasment..I was hoping it depicted me with the blood coursing through my face and the veins distending as I tried to restrain myself from speaking out.......yet again...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Un-mundo just realised that the smile I chose in error is embarrasment..I was hoping it depicted me with the blood coursing through my face and the veins distending as I tried to restrain myself from speaking out.......yet again...
Welll if no leccy, poollounger - no clean water either!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry couldn't resist it.

I also have a cousin who is terrible. She looked after both her parents until they died and never worked or had a life of her own. Now they are both gone she is left in the crumbling house, which is freezing cold but worth quite a bit. She won't sell to start a new life. Won't learn to drive to get out and about, won't have a computer or a mobile phone or even an answerphone in case a burglar will know she's not in. Although I sympathise with her I too cannot spend long in her company as she cannot/will not change her life around. Sorry this is nothing to do with Chiclana!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by glynis
Welll if no leccy, poollounger - no clean water either!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry couldn't resist it.

I also have a cousin who is terrible. She looked after both her parents until they died and never worked or had a life of her own. Now they are both gone she is left in the crumbling house, which is freezing cold but worth quite a bit. She won't sell to start a new life. Won't learn to drive to get out and about, won't have a computer or a mobile phone or even an answerphone in case a burglar will know she's not in. Although I sympathise with her I too cannot spend long in her company as she cannot/will not change her life around. Sorry this is nothing to do with Chiclana!
Well in a way it is Glynis.....we all..well at least the ones who have moved there permanently.. have found the inner courage to do it. A friend who moved to France says it was I encouraged her , which I have no memory of... apparently I said 'go for it, if it all falls flat you can always come back' In her bathroom she has a sign saying 'let not others discourage you from doing that which they will not do themselves' My other friend is not as bad as yours but is an eternal pessimist....it can drag you down all to easily if you let it. France has been a success...the other I see on a downward slope.
What about jumping in the pool (if you have one)?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Well in a way it is Glynis.....we all..well at least the ones who have moved there permanently.. have found the inner courage to do it. A friend who moved to France says it was I encouraged her , which I have no memory of... apparently I said 'go for it, if it all falls flat you can always come back' In her bathroom she has a sign saying 'let not others discourage you from doing that which they will not do themselves' My other friend is not as bad as yours but is an eternal pessimist....it can drag you down all to easily if you let it. France has been a success...the other I see on a downward slope.
Poolounger, I enjoy reading your posts.
Nothing to do with Chiclana.......but I whole heartedly agree with you on the 'go for it, if it all falls flat you can always come back' sentiment.
We will be moving over this year, a few months later than planned but that's just another hurdle to cross. It took a life changing illness (breast cancer) to give us the kick up the arse that we needed to 'go for it' but at least 5 years down the line we will be able to say 'we did it'...for better or worse depending how things work out. Every one of our friends have said how they would love to brave enough to do what we're doing.....but they're too scared to leave the security of England. Life is so unpredictable, you have to seize each day and each new opportunity and make the most of them.
This is a brilliant site and so much helpful advice can be found. I'm sure as the time approaches for our move, I'll be on here asking question after question and searching for answers. All experience is good as long as something is learned from it.
BTW, we did it 'all wrong' in the way we bought our house, according to some peoples views but so far touch wood, everythings fine.
Sorry for prattling must be the anaesthetic wearing off from my sinus op yesterday
Mary
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my twopennorth...

We looked for almost 2 years to find our place in Chiclana. We did a lot of research, and saw many different properties. We learned about the urbanisation plan, and the general situation, and eventually sifted out the agents we were not comfortable with.

At one point we thought it might be safer to buy an older, established property with all the services. However, many of these are actually just as illegal as new builds. If they did have the right credentials, the price more than reflected it.

The property we did buy is not completely legal, but then whose is? We checked the paperwork with our solicitor. What he told us made sense, he made no false promises about the situation. We have an electricity contract, and last time we looked, the meter was still in the wall. We will be sharing with one other house, but will deal with whatever consequences arise if and when they do.

The doom and gloom about urbanisation cost is speculation at the moment and given the length of time it took to finalise just the plans, we will probably all be long dead by the time it actually becomes an issue. In the meantime, I am very happy taking care of my own incomings and outgoings (if you get my drift). We pay for our refuse collection, etc., and it just remains to join the local residents association.

We love our house, have made new friends and intend to enjoy our Spanish dream to the full.

Long live Chiclana, warts 'n all!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we got a pool but won't be jumping in until 1st April!
Old Mar 4th 2006, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by susique
Here's my twopennorth...

We looked for almost 2 years to find our place in Chiclana. We did a lot of research, and saw many different properties. We learned about the urbanisation plan, and the general situation, and eventually sifted out the agents we were not comfortable with.

At one point we thought it might be safer to buy an older, established property with all the services. However, many of these are actually just as illegal as new builds. If they did have the right credentials, the price more than reflected it.

The property we did buy is not completely legal, but then whose is? We checked the paperwork with our solicitor. What he told us made sense, he made no false promises about the situation. We have an electricity contract, and last time we looked, the meter was still in the wall. We will be sharing with one other house, but will deal with whatever consequences arise if and when they do.

The doom and gloom about urbanisation cost is speculation at the moment and given the length of time it took to finalise just the plans, we will probably all be long dead by the time it actually becomes an issue. In the meantime, I am very happy taking care of my own incomings and outgoings (if you get my drift). We pay for our refuse collection, etc., and it just remains to join the local residents association.

We love our house, have made new friends and intend to enjoy our Spanish dream to the full.

Long live Chiclana, warts 'n all!
My sentiments exactly! As long as you go in wuth your eyes as wide open as your research allows, then you can feel comfortable with your purchase.

At the end of it end you get nothing if you don't try!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NicCol
My sentiments exactly! As long as you go in wuth your eyes as wide open as your research allows, then you can feel comfortable with your purchase.

All you back in the UK - the sun is shining, the wind has gone and there isn't a cloud in the sky!!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

All you back in the UK - the sun is shining, the wind has gone and there isn't a cloud in the sky!!!!!
Thanks for that.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 4:23 pm

Get thee behind me Satan !!!!!!!!! I am nursing a nasty flu and it looks cold and miserable outside. Must go and refill the hotwater bottle.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Mourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really niceMourinho is just really nice

Originally Posted by NicCol

Don't know if anyone been following the arrests in Marbella of the Major and a number of councillors on various charges , this followed all planning decisions being taken out of Marbella Councils hands ,in Chiclana now the local opposition govermnent are asking the Andulacian Junta to take away the Chiclana councils planning powers calling the current town plan a shambles ,the hope is one way or another the situation will be brought to a head and sorted, wait to see in the Marbella situation which is obviously further forward what retrospective action is taken re unauthorised development .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.