Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

:Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :

:Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :

Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:49 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute
Default :Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :

Have been having a few discussions on the villa i am getting in Mallorca and it occured to me it has potential to be extended , assuming the local council permit my ideas of course ..

Well i wondered as i seem to still have a load of cash thanks to a certain car buyer

Well near to my little villa is a lot of new houses being built so i wondered if i strolled over there and spoke with the foreman ,
Sort of " Ola youio wantio cashio back handio workio ? " or similar ! Do you think i could coax him and a few of his Armada mates to do some cheap work for me ?

Anyone done that or would i be kicked of the site ?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: :Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Have been having a few discussions on the villa i am getting in Mallorca and it occured to me it has potential to be extended , assuming the local council permit my ideas of course ..
Well i wondered as i seem to still have a load of cash thanks to a certain car buyer
Well near to my little villa is a lot of new houses being built so i wondered if i strolled over there and spoke with the foreman ,
Sort of " Ola youio wantio cashio back handio workio ? " or similar ! Do you think i could coax him and a few of his Armada mates to do some cheap work for me ?
As always Pete your command of the Spanish language is improving well ..... I thought the villa you decided on had no room for extension
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:03 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

When you first bought this casa 4 years ago we needed work doing, big job and we new not builders here so we trusted our estate agent who knew some some builders from a local building site............big mistake....cost us shed loads of money and we had to sack them before the finished the jon. Of course if you are going to be on site whilst the work is being done then that could make a difference.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:04 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As always Pete your command of the Spanish language is improving well ..... I thought the villa you decided on had no room for extension
yes its got big garden ,well big for Mallorca anyways
And has top terrace with slight sea views ,and reckon if i get permission could have a top floor put on , needs to go up about 5 feet in height to do it .but as there is a couple of 2 storey houses behind could get permission , then it would give a really good seaview from there so could add a main room and a balcony
Depends on planning i guess but worth a shot .
i will post the view then you see where i am aimming ..

see sea view .from top terrace. and also 2 storey house at rear ..
so planning could be possible hence why it scored another tick in the log ..
Attached Thumbnails :Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :-9265463_22022007233238.jpg   :Cheap Builders in Spain -Mallorca ? :-9265463_22022007232401.jpg  

Last edited by Big Pete; Jul 11th 2007 at 10:08 pm. Reason: added pic explanations
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by crispygirl
When you first bought this casa 4 years ago we needed work doing, big job and we new not builders here so we trusted our estate agent who knew some some builders from a local building site............big mistake....cost us shed loads of money and we had to sack them before the finished the jon. Of course if you are going to be on site whilst the work is being done then that could make a difference.
So what went wrong then ?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:41 pm

So what went wrong then ?
Basically, we were not there to keep an eye on the work, estate agent sang the praises of these fellows so we went along with it. They had three months to pave an area of about 75m2, we were in no rush and thought this was ample time for them to do it. Paid 2,000 up front for material (total cost was to be 6,000) two weeks before we were due out we were told it would be finished. Arrived with 4 of our kids and grandkids to find about 14m2 had been done. This was in front of the garage and as we walked over them the paving slabs broke under our feet, (now I know I'm big but not that big) so there was no way we could drive the car into the garage.

The builders got really stroppy when we pointed all this out to him and they said we would have to foot the bill for the broken slabs. Hence they left....we were out the 2000, we had to pay a new builder to remove all the slabs already laid, make good that area and start again, also we had to pay out for new paving slabs. I can not stress enough that if you want any work done no matter what it is you make sure you are there all the time. D'on't trust anyone to do it for you.

When we had our drive done, we were here and we still had to chase the builders up as we made the mistake of paying them on the Friday morning as the job was well done and to our satisfaction all they had to do after lunch was coat the drive with a sealant (about a 2 hour job.) Did not come back, phoned, "yes we will be there first thing in the morning"....Mmmmmm flying pigs again... but we did get them back on the Saturday morning after much discussion.:curse:

Last edited by crispy; Jul 11th 2007 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:48 pm
Banned

Basically, we were not there to keep an eye on the work, estate agent sang the praises of these fellows so we went along with it. They had three months to pave an area of about 75m2, we were in no rush and thought this was ample time for them to do it. Paid 2,000 up front for material (total cost was to be 6,000) two weeks before we were due out we were told it would be finished. Arrived with 4 of our kids and grandkids to find about 14m2 had been done. This was in front of the garage and as we walked over them the paving slabs broke under our feet, (now I know I'm big but not that big) so there was no way we could drive the car into the garage.

The builders got really stroppy when we pointed all this out to him and they said we would have to foot the bill for the broken slabs. Hence they left....we were out the 2000, we had to pay a new builder to remove all the slabs already laid, make good that area and start again, also we had to pay out for new paving slabs. I can not stress enough that if you want any work done no matter what it is you make sure you are there all the time. D'on't trust anyone to do it for you.

When we had our drive done, we were here and we still had to chase the builders up as we made the mistake of paying them on the Friday morning as the job was well done and to our satisfaction all they had to do after lunch was coat the drive with a sealant (about a 2 hour job.) Did not come back, phoned, "yes we will be there first thing in the morning"....Mmmmmm flying pigs again... but we did get them back on the Saturday morning after much discussion.:curse:
Oh i see so there a slippery lot then .. will have to watch them like a hawk i would be there all the time for sure , but will have to be selective on the builders maybe and watch them work first and check quality ..
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:52 pm

Oh i see so there a slippery lot then .. will have to watch them like a hawk i would be there all the time for sure , but will have to be selective on the builders maybe and watch them work first and check quality ..
take your clips board with you, you may have to keep notes
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:05 pm
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

They had three months to pave an area of about 75m2, we were in no rush and thought this was ample time for them to do it. Paid 2,000 up front for material (total cost was to be 6,000) two weeks before we were due out we were told it would be finished. .:curse:
I have just removed an old drive ,5 skip loads ,laid 40 ton of hardcore fill and brick paved it , 80m2 and all for the bagain price of £4000 and it only took 4 days ,so in future employ a Cowboy like me ,not all English builders in Spain are crap.....

ps ...i can travel to Mallorca...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by COWBOY_BUILDER
I have just removed an old drive ,5 skip loads ,laid 40 ton of hardcore fill and brick paved it , 80m2 and all for the bagain price of £4000 and it only took 4 days ,so in future employ a Cowboy like me ,not all English builders in Spain are crap.....

ps ...i can travel to Mallorca...
Didn't know of you when we were looking, but believe me you are on my list of peeps who can Will you travel to Portugal for a mega job?
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, if you need the garden done once the builders have finished I'm yer man!!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Pete, if you need the garden done once the builders have finished I'm yer man!!

Talk about blowing your own trumpet.....you hussy, you...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:26 pm
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't know of you when we were looking, but believe me you are on my list of peeps who can Will you travel to Portugal for a mega job?
Yes ,we would make a holiday of it ,i've never been to Portugal...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Talk about blowing your own trumpet.....you hussy, you...
I need work when I get over there, otherwise I may have to go on the game!!
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I need work when I get over there, otherwise I may have to go on the game!!
I'll pimp your hide for you.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.