Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing a trailer to spanish plates

Changing a trailer to spanish plates

Old Feb 19th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice
Question Changing a trailer to spanish plates

Hi,

ive got an Ivor Williams horse trailer, which I bought over from the UK, and has been fine till now because ive been towing it with an english reg car, but im going to be buying a new car here in spain, and I believe that I will have to have my trailer put on spainsh plates also, anyone know how I go about this

cheers Jenny
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:05 pm
me eds a shed

COWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond reputeCOWBOY_BUILDER has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing a trailer to spanish plates

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Hi,

ive got an Ivor Williams horse trailer, which I bought over from the UK, and has been fine till now because ive been towing it with an english reg car, but im going to be buying a new car here in spain, and I believe that I will have to have my trailer put on spainsh plates also, anyone know how I go about this

cheers Jenny
I tryed to get ITV's two Ifor Williams trailers ,one a 2 ton tipper, almost new the other a plant trailer 18 months old , and was told that they won't touch them ,it would be easyer to Sell yours in the UK and buy a Spanish Trailer
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:32 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

cheers Jenny
I'm not completely sure about Spain but for other EU member states that need separate registration you need to obtain the serial number for the trailer then contact Ifor Williams for a C.O.C document which then hopefully a report can be made up in Spain and then registered.

I definitely know it's possible as I've had clinics who have done it.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Hi,

thanks for that, I do have all the documents that came with the trailer as I bought it from Ivor Williams new, im not keen on selling it, and buying a spanish trailer, as they dont look half as safe as my IW one,
Jenny
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:14 pm
zel

Hi,

thanks for that, I do have all the documents that came with the trailer as I bought it from Ivor Williams new, im not keen on selling it, and buying a spanish trailer, as they dont look half as safe as my IW one,
Jenny
Completely agree!

We have the biggest they do car trailer from Williams and it is head and shoulders better than anything we've had or hired before.

An ex of mine also used to have a williams horse box (she runs a stables, b.h.s instructor) and it was a dream to pull along compared to the cheaper variants!

Last edited by zel; Feb 19th 2008 at 3:21 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:43 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Along similar lines; we had a fluent spanish speaking mate who wanted to buy a new caravan. So he went to the camping and caravan show in Birmingham england and bought it for a much cheaper price than the manufacturers (German) or the spanish importers - about 3,000 euros cheaper!

However it cost him over 3,500 euros to "import" it and it took six months. Whilst we gave him every assistance, we have firmly decided to run away fast from anyone who wants us to even think about helping with importing trailers and the like.
Sorry to be pessamistic, but saw what happened at too close quarters!
But GOOD LUCK, (if you can get an "european certificate of conformity" you may be half way there as our friend had to go to Madrid and pay 1400 euros to get one!
Dave
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:27 pm
zel

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi,
Along similar lines; we had a fluent spanish speaking mate who wanted to buy a new caravan. So he went to the camping and caravan show in Birmingham england and bought it for a much cheaper price than the manufacturers (German) or the spanish importers - about 3,000 euros cheaper!

However it cost him over 3,500 euros to "import" it and it took six months. Whilst we gave him every assistance, we have firmly decided to run away fast from anyone who wants us to even think about helping with importing trailers and the like.
Sorry to be pessamistic, but saw what happened at too close quarters!
But GOOD LUCK, (if you can get an "european certificate of conformity" you may be half way there as our friend had to go to Madrid and pay 1400 euros to get one!
Dave
It honestly depends on the outfit the manufacturer is. A company the size of Williams should be able to help without any problems

€1400? and he/she paid? what on earth? I've never paid more than £100 for a C.O.C document from the manufacturer.

My guess is whatever he was trying to register did not have any type of EU type approval (Williams trailers do) so had to have a model report done on it from scratch? Because if they honestly paid €1400 for a C.O.C document then they have well and truly been ripped off.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Well Zel, the rules changed and our friend purchased a brand new model Hobby Caravan. The manufacturers could (would) not help with homolgation so the trip to Madrid was the only answer. It was they that took the caravan apart to give it the homolgation certificate.
As an aside, he was told that because caravans are not made on a production line that they are all not the same and therefore all caravans would have to go through the process as would any individually made trailer.
I have no opinion as to whether this is true but the ITV guy, Hacienda, & Trafico all spoke the same!
Dave
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:58 pm
zel

Ah yes, they had to have a model report done, that makes sense with the €1400 you mentioned.

If 'one' buys a caravan that is done by a big manufacturer and not a coachwork builder then a C.O.C will not only be available but will actually come with the vehicle from new. Shame I guess we all live and learn!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Ifor Williams are already in Spain, maybe e-mail them and ask?

http://www.rcortes.com/resultados.asp?idgrups=3

http://www.agremolques.com/
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for that,

I will email them, i will let you all know how I get on

Jenny
Old Mar 5th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Jenny could you let me know how you get on, I was planning on driving mine down when I move. Its an Ifor as well. Thanks Tinks
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Yes no problem, have already spoke to a lady about it, who does plate changing on cars, she going to look into the trailer for me, she did say if it has a European number on it, it makes it easier, mines 8 year old and we think it has it, she thinks it will cost about 500€ im hoping to get it sorted in the next few years, so I will keep you posted
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:46 pm
zel

Yes no problem, have already spoke to a lady about it, who does plate changing on cars, she going to look into the trailer for me, she did say if it has a European number on it, it makes it easier, mines 8 year old and we think it has it, she thinks it will cost about 500€ im hoping to get it sorted in the next few years, so I will keep you posted
I think she means the EU type approval number, if it has a identity plate somewhere and it has a line beginning with "EU*" followed by some numbers/letters then yes it does have EU type approval.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Well been in touch with Ivor Williams in Spain, the first thing I have to do is email them a copy of the original receipt of the trailer, which has to be in my name, plus all the serial numbers of the trailer etc... they then do the forms, which they will email me, then I go off to the MOT place in Ontinyent and they will MOT it and if it passes, plate/register it,

yey sounds easy but this being Spain I bet its not

I have got the original reciept, BUT its in the name of the pet shop me and EX used to have, (so we could claim the VAT back on it,) but ive emailed the place I bought it from, asking if they will send me a receipt in my name and old UK address, so fingers crossed, luckily I bought it new, from a proper IW dealer, im not sure what would happen if I had bought it 2nd hand, and wether they would accept a receipt from the original buyer???

so will keep you updated,

ps, I also have a little IW trailer, Ive seen similar over here , but with just the car number plate on the back, like in the UK, so do these type not need registering??? similar to this http://www.iwt.co.uk/products/genpurp.htm the one with one wheel (yes either side)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.