Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing mortgage provider

Changing mortgage provider

Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future
Default Changing mortgage provider

Possible one for you here Fred.
Do Spanish mortgage providers have fixed rate mortgages a minimum 5 year would be ideal.
Would there be
Transfer or valuation fees , cancellation penalties or arrangement fees to take into account ?
If they do would this make a 1 or 2 year not worth the expence.
Or if one has a variable rate mortgage can increased repayments be made to reduce the term of the policy.
Could this result in any financial penalty.
I suppose an obvious place to start is the original provider ?
Chris

Last edited by chrismortley; Feb 19th 2009 at 8:42 am.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing mortgage provider

The first point to remember is that Spanish banks, like UK banks are not lending much money at present so even finding an offer might be tricky.

I can't say I've seen any long term fixed rates, the norm is a one year fixed rate.

There would almost certainly be fees to pay, both cancellation and to set up a new one and certainly a new valuation. Spanish banks are notorious for the costs of mortgages.

I don't know if it is possible to make larger payments but somehow I think it may be difficult as the banks are not very flexible - a mortgage has an escritura about 10 pages long!

If you are only looking to change for a short period (presumably to get a better rate or reduce payments) I doubt that it would be economic.

As you said yourself, the best place to start negotiating is with your present bank.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fred James
The first point to remember is that Spanish banks, like UK banks are not lending much money at present so even finding an offer might be tricky.

I can't say I've seen any long term fixed rates, the norm is a one year fixed rate.

There would almost certainly be fees to pay, both cancellation and to set up a new one and certainly a new valuation. Spanish banks are notorious for the costs of mortgages.

I don't know if it is possible to make larger payments but somehow I think it may be difficult as the banks are not very flexible - a mortgage has an escritura about 10 pages long!

If you are only looking to change for a short period (presumably to get a better rate or reduce payments) I doubt that it would be economic.

As you said yourself, the best place to start negotiating is with your present bank.
Many thanks Fred
We are over in Spain next week & I don't fancy banging my head against a brick wall for the sake of it for the whole of our time there
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:19 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Barklays Spain have some fantastic offers at the minute for changing banks. And they will pay all your fees up to 3,000 euros. Have a look on their website. I am thinking about it myself.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:36 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

...As you said yourself, the best place to start negotiating is with your present bank.
Yes this is a pertinent Q right now, lots of us hit by high rates, inflexible mortgages products and euro exchange.

I am mortgaged with CajaMurica - which was at 3.5% three years ago - and now just GONE UP to 6.25% !!!! This has hit me bad - I approached them recently and they are aware of the struggles. They confirmed that their variable rate product is reviewed just ONCE a year and adjusted accordingly to the average year's rates. Mine was just 'adjusted' upwards in Nov' so I have to wait until Nov 2009 for a further review !! They had only ONE option of help for me to: reduce/defer the interest payment for a year or two ! Which will help BUT I am going to look around as the rate is too high - of course as someone else said - sometimes the fees can negate the cost benefits over a short term. Devil and Deep Blue Sea ?!?!?

... difficult times for many !!
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Barklays Spain have some fantastic offers at the minute for changing banks. And they will pay all your fees up to 3,000 euros. Have a look on their website. I am thinking about it myself.

Does look very attractive ... we are paying 5.8% with Banco de Valencia ...
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
Possible one for you here Fred.
Do Spanish mortgage providers have fixed rate mortgages a minimum 5 year would be ideal.
Would there be
Transfer or valuation fees , cancellation penalties or arrangement fees to take into account ?
If they do would this make a 1 or 2 year not worth the expence.
Or if one has a variable rate mortgage can increased repayments be made to reduce the term of the policy.
Could this result in any financial penalty.
I suppose an obvious place to start is the original provider ?
Chris
When I asked last year some time, I was told that I would not only have to pay the normal costs but ALSO the 7% hacienda tax!

I queried this as I thought this tax was when first purchasing the property but I was assured by my bank that I would have to pay it again if I changed mortgage to them.

Can this be true?
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CBANDY
Someone else has mentioned the Barclays package to me.
My mortgage is due for recalculation in June & calculated annually so worst ways as it stands we should get at least 1 year of low repayments.
Barclays & the Santander branches are close to each other in Ayamonte so I will check them out next week
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:10 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know anything about changing mortgage providers, but it is possible to overpay on the mortgage.

Cam Bank have this facility for loans and mortgages.
If you have internet banking you can do it online.

LOANS AND CREDITS Account holders
Statement of Transactions
Loan Status
Economic Information
Repayment Chart
Past Exchange Rates
Early Repayment
Nueva Amortización
Consulta Amortizaciones
Receipts Issued
Download Pending
View Statements
View 2007 Statement
View 2006 Statement
International Acc. Code
Change linked account
Loan application
Loan Simulator
Customise Account

The above is copied from CAM webpage. There is an early repayment option, and you can choose wether to reduce the mortgage term, or reduce the monthly quota with any overpayments made.
I am sure other banks must have this facility.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:14 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the Barclays offer, you will see that it only applies to your "Vivienda Habituel" so presumably it is for residents only.

I have read that the English banks operating in Spain have more money available than Spanish banks that that's only relative. I will be interested to hear how forthcoming the loans are.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh
When I asked last year some time, I was told that I would not only have to pay the normal costs but ALSO the 7% hacienda tax!

I queried this as I thought this tax was when first purchasing the property but I was assured by my bank that I would have to pay it again if I changed mortgage to them.

Can this be true?
It doesn't sound right to me. The 7% is paid as a transfer tax on a new sale or subsequent transfer.

What you probably will have to pay again is the registry fee which I think is about 1.5%.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Remember that Barclays in Spain has no connection whatsoever with Barclays in the UK except that they use the name and logo under franchise. This is clearly demonstrated in the abysmal customer support of Barclays Spain which is far worse than most real Spanish banks (even Santander).
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Just looked at the Barclays website, am I right in thinking that you have to take out a life insurance policy with them if you do change mortgage from another bank?
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:05 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hondon Rock n Roll
Just looked at the Barclays website, am I right in thinking that you have to take out a life insurance policy with them if you do change mortgage from another bank?
You need to take out life insurance with any mortgage you take out in Spain.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Sharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of lightSharon B is a glorious beacon of light

I have got to agree with Beachcomber. I am in the process of changing my bank account from Barclays. We fell for the UK connection. We had a number of accounts opened with partners for business and joint personal accounts. I don`t know if this was the norm but they were transferring money from one account to another without my authorisation!!:curse: This meant I have had cheques bouncing (and me paying the fees), accounts overdrawn and money that was not solely mine going into other accounts in my name only. Believe me my business partners were not amused Hopefully my new "Spanish" bank is not the same, only time will tell.

Although I hasten to add maybe branches in different areas are more customer friendly.

Moan over, good luck with the change of mortgage provider

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.