Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Changing driving licence address

Changing driving licence address

Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:41 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing driving licence address

As you all know by now, your photo ID driving licence will expire every 10 years and you need a UK address to apply for a new one.

Just to let you know, I googled DVLA driving licence change of address and phoned the number to ask how long it would take to get a new licence issued with a new address. They took certain details off the paper and plastic card whilst I was on the phone, and then issued me another one without having to fill in the forums. The licence arrived 7 days later to my UK address with the new address. I had to send back the old one immediately.

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jan 16th 2010 at 3:27 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:48 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing driving licence address

Thanks for the info, need to change mine soon.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As you all know by now, your photo ID driving licence will expire every 10 years and you need a UK address to apply for a new one.

Just to let you know, I googled DVLA driving licence change of address and phoned the number to ask how long it would take to get a new licence issued. They took certain details off the paper and plastic card whilst I was on the phone, and then issued me another one without having to fill in the forums. The licence arrived 7 days later to my UK address with the new address. I had to send back the old one immediately.
Did you not have to supply a new photo? I thought that was the point of them expiring...
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Did you not have to supply a new photo? I thought that was the point of them expiring...
You do when you apply for a new licence, but as this thread is entitled "changing driving licence address", the procedure I described is fine

I edited the post just to make sure there can be no misunderstanding
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:45 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Don't want to annoy you guys, but when you apply to renew your UK D/L you sign to say you live in UK. Yes that live not that you are there at the time or have a postage address. If you lie about that it amounts to the criminal offence of perjury.

Also, if one has residencia status and uses a foreign D/L it is only valid for the period which a Spanish licence would have been valid for, not until you are 70.

Also, if you have residencia status you MUST have a medical certificate to say you are fit to drive. It says on the cert that it is valid for only 3 months, but as a holder of a foreign D/L it is valid for the period that licence is valid (i.e. the same period as a Spanish one).

This is the same as a Spaniard as they must have a medical cert from their very first licence.

Not to have the cert means you do not have a D/L as far as Spain is concerned and of course to be insured you must have (have or have had as in UK) a valid D/L.

I know some of you guys will say you do not have the cert and have been stopped by the police and nothing has happened, well that's your choice, but is it worth the risk? I don't think so.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:54 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by johncar61
Don't want to annoy you guys, but when you apply to renew your UK D/L you sign to say you live in UK. Yes that live not that you are there at the time or have a postage address. If you lie about that it amounts to the criminal offence of perjury.

Also, if one has residencia status and uses a foreign D/L it is only valid for the period which a Spanish licence would have been valid for, not until you are 70.

Also, if you have residencia status you MUST have a medical certificate to say you are fit to drive. It says on the cert that it is valid for only 3 months, but as a holder of a foreign D/L it is valid for the period that licence is valid (i.e. the same period as a Spanish one).

This is the same as a Spaniard as they must have a medical cert from their very first licence.

Not to have the cert means you do not have a D/L as far as Spain is concerned and of course to be insured you must have (have or have had as in UK) a valid D/L.

I know some of you guys will say you do not have the cert and have been stopped by the police and nothing has happened, well that's your choice, but is it worth the risk? I don't think so.
Err, this thread is about changing your address on a licence, not renewing an expired licence. Yes, you have to adhere to local laws such as medical certificate, and you will find its been discussed here many times .. so yes, we are aware
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:08 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Err, this thread is about changing your address on a licence, not renewing an expired licence. Yes, you have to adhere to local laws such as medical certificate, and you will find its been discussed here many times .. so yes, we are aware

OK but I think you are splitting hairs.

If you have residencia status in Spain you CANNOT LEGALLY change your address on a UK D/L.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 5:15 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Mitzy, did you phone from the UK or Spain? Would it have mattered?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

OK but I think you are splitting hairs.

If you have residencia status in Spain you CANNOT LEGALLY change your address on a UK D/L.
Technically, depending on local interpretation, you may be correct, logically, you’re wrong.

I own a property both in the UK and Spain. Whether I spend more than 183 days in Spain one year, and a couple of weeks the next, is my affair. With more European integration this is being recognised, hence the new photo-less residencia which means nothing to anyone.

It’s the same with the driving licence, it contains an address where I live, but I may choose to live somewhere else tomorrow, or the day after, but the authorities will have an address to send their fines to, and, being an Honest Joe, I will pay them.

Trafico are as confused about the new laws as the rest of us, I usually opt to pay the fine on the spot and if it saves them unnecessary paperwork, I get a salute. It’s the same in the UK, but they don’t salute.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:03 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Trafico are as confused about the new laws as the rest of us, I usually opt to pay the fine on the spot and if it saves them unnecessary paperwork, I get a salute. It’s the same in the UK, but they don’t salute.
Do you make a habit of braking the law HBG?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 4:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
maybe it's the braking he has trouble with
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:13 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Madridboy
No, my speedometer doesn't work.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 6:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
HBG
Try telling the DVLC when you want to renew/change address on DL that you are resident in Spain. They will not renew/change address. Of you lie about your address/where you live its perjury in UK
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:41 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG
Try telling the DVLC when you want to renew/change address on DL that you are resident in Spain. They will not renew/change address. Of you lie about your address/where you live its perjury in UK
To commit perjury, I would have to take the Oath first, the only oath I remember that lasts for a lifetime, is the one you take to certify your allegiance to the Queen.

You misunderstand: I own a house in the UK and in Spain. There is no law to compel me to live exclusively at either.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The speedometer on the car we are using dosent work much either.
Yesterday we travelled 400+kms and the car only registered about 5km.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.